Deck replacement

/ Deck replacement #1  

RalphVa

Tractor
JD 2025R, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010 & JD 1025R
We're at the point where our deck needs replacing again. Replaced the boards on the deck and rail top boards about 10 years ago. Two or 3 years ago, I had to replace several boards. Before that, I found that many of the torx screws had corroded and replaced more than half of them with SS.

Are the only 2 choices now either treated lumber or Trex? Today's treated lumber is a PITA. Won't hold a stain. Corrodes non SS screws. Just doesn't look good any more.

Trex seems beau coup expensive.

We've some roof rubber between joists draining to a gutter which drains to a 350 gallon tank underneath. Trex has something called Rainescape using butyl in place of the roof rubber and some downspout things.

Any experiences/recommendations?

Awaiting first bid and trying to get another outfit to come look and to bid.

Ralph

/ Deck replacement #2  
How high off the ground is it?

/ Deck replacement #3  
Last year I replaced my 25 year old Cedar decks with Larch decking, I had a few boards that needed to be replaced, scope creep turned the project into replacing all the deck boards. I hate pressure treated and don't care for the plastic alternatives. I bought mine from a local mill for less than half the price of premium pressure treated. If it lasts as long as my Cedar decking, the next replacement will not be mine. I have neighbors that used Larch for in ground fence posts, 15+ years with no failures due to rot.

Larch is harder than Cedar, I had to drill pilot holes for my screws. It looks as good as the Cedar, mostly clear with a few small tight knots. Larch is often mistaken for Cedar. I will oil it every 2 - 3 years. I was lucky enough to get all 16' boards, I have no seams/butt joints in 500+ sq ft of deck.

If you cannot find Larch, look for Cedar. Cedar decking retails here for a little more than premium pressure treated.

/ Deck replacement #4  
Shop around...there are companies that specialize in pressure treating quality lumber...you may pay a premium but not much more than what you see listed as "premium grade" material at the box stores...

For instance...if you live anywhere near coast there are bound to be custom deck and dock builders...they buy their materials from specialty suppliers like I mentioned above...

You can get high quality #1 dense YP that is treated the same as telephone poles...it lasts much longer than what is sold at local yards and box stores...

Then there's the age old questions of how to lay the decking...i.e., bark edge to the weather (usually recommended by architects) or the opposite?...
check the boards on your deck and see which have held up better...!

/ Deck replacement #5  
There are quite a few different composite materials. And they vary a LOT in price.

Do they have Menards' stores where you are? I noticed that they have a great display showing the various grades of composite materials that are available.

Point is, I'd go with composite, but you can find options that are a lot cheaper than Trex. You'll just need to compare the various features and finishes.

I have a similar project on the horizon -- mainly railings. Good luck with it.

/ Deck replacement #6  
I had an IPE (Brazilian ironwood) deck installed over PT SYP framing about 7 years ago. No treatment (stain, etc.) except end grain sealer at installation. It has weathered to a pleasing (to me) grey patina; pressure washed last year, patina quickly returned. IPE is relatively expensive and difficult to work, cobalt to pre-drill for SS fasteners, carbide to cut. It has outlasted a friend's "mahogany" deck and is more stable and cooler underfoot than the plastic composite decks of other friends.

/ Deck replacement #7  
Just replaced my deck boards; 1000 sq ft, about 8 ft above grade. I used YellaWood KDAT super select southern yellow pine. I believe they were right at $30 a piece for 5/4 x 6 x 16ft. Absolutely gorgeous boards with virtually no knots, all clear lumber. Picked them up in Rocky Mount, VA; the treatment plant is right across the street. Trex is not reliable in the long run, lot's of customer complaints.

/ Deck replacement #8  
i made my forever deck using aluminum decking. Definitely not cheap, but will never do anything to it again except pressure wash.

Attachments

• 505FC991-23D7-41C7-97E5-AD6148C47E6C.jpeg
    505FC991-23D7-41C7-97E5-AD6148C47E6C.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 128

Attachments

• fp9.jpg
    fp9.jpg
    801 KB · Views: 289

and it can be blazing hot, lake last months 106°, and i can walk on the deck barefooted.

/ Deck replacement #9  
Just replaced my deck boards; 1000 sq ft, about 8 ft above grade. I used YellaWood KDAT super select southern yellow pine. I believe they were right at $30 a piece for 5/4 x 6 x 16ft. Absolutely gorgeous boards with virtually no knots, all clear lumber. Picked them up in Rocky Mount, VA; the treatment plant is right across the street. Trex is not reliable in the long run, lot's of customer complaints.

It used to fade badly but I’ve heard they’ve fixed that problem. I have no first hand experience with the product though.

/ Deck replacement #10  
Neighbor has trex thats only a few years old. not only does it get so hot you can fry an egg on it, it is fading and warping.