Making riding mower more stable for hills

/ Making riding mower more stable for hills #1  

HawkinsHollow

Veteran Member
Tractor
Branson 3015R
Thinking about investing in a riding mower to make my life easier. Both the lot my house is on and my acreage are both on the hilly side. I was wondering what are some things a man could do to make their rider more stable on hills. Thanks!

/ Making riding mower more stable for hills #2  
Wheel weights can help some (lowers center of gravity). Wheel spacers are even better, if they will still fit within the cutting limits of your mower deck.

/ Making riding mower more stable for hills
I guess I should have elaborated. I have done some research. It looks like duals in the back would go a LONG way in preventing a turn over. Maybe that coupled with filling tires. It seems like those 2 things would keep a rider upright on all but the craziest slopes. What says ye?

/ Making riding mower more stable for hills #4  
Those are good things to do, but you have to watch out on lawn machines, you will have to get something pretty beefy to stand up to that extra traction and weight. a lot of the lawn category stuff is light duty.

/ Making riding mower more stable for hills #5  
I just installed rear wheel weights onto my John Deere Gx335 on monday evening. Maybe 45 lbs on each side? The machine didn't really need it, but the weights came with the tractor and were sitting in my way in the garage, so might as well go on. I do have some steep hills but I never drive across them sideways, so... ? Plus my Gx335 has a diff lock for whenever things get sketchy.

/ Making riding mower more stable for hills #6  
if you haven't invested in a riding mower yet, I'd recommend you consider a stand-on mower. they are the best ride on mower for hills.

/ Making riding mower more stable for hills
Those are good things to do, but you have to watch out on lawn machines, you will have to get something pretty beefy to stand up to that extra traction and weight. a lot of the lawn category stuff is light duty.

Point taken Herm!

/ Making riding mower more stable for hills #8  
Would this also apply to a ZTR? Would mowing only downhill be safe for a ZTR?

/ Making riding mower more stable for hills #9  
My ZTR is best going uphill and backing downhill on steep ones. Have to watch compound slopes where slope is both to one side and downhill. The uphill wheel simply does not have much traction.

/ Making riding mower more stable for hills #10  
Consider buying a machine that is designed for steep slopes.