Bat in the house - rabies scare!

/ Bat in the house - rabies scare! #11  
It's one of those crummy deals... the chances of catching rabies is incredibly small. However, the chances of surviving rabies, should you contract it, are statistically ZERO. Don't want to mess around with it.
Not ture. I young gal in WI caught rabies and was showing symptoms before they figured it out. She got the cure and managed to get through it with some aftereffects. This was like 20 years go. I seen a news paper article about it a while ago.

/ Bat in the house - rabies scare! #12  
Not ture. I young gal in WI caught rabies and was showing symptoms before they figured it out. She got the cure and managed to get through it with some aftereffects. This was like 20 years go. I seen a news paper article about it a while ago.
True-ish. There are reports of a few other survivors (15) globally, but the stress is on the word survive. Most come through with significant impairment.

She was the one of the few people, ever, to survive rabies. She was bitten on her index finger, which caused a very slow development of the disease as rabies travels along neurons. The closer that you are bitten to your head, the faster the disease progresses.

Personally, I would file @MossRoad's original comments of nobody surviving rabies as close enough to true. I know of someone else who was bitten on the index finger, like the Wisconsin woman, and didn't survive. (She was young, otherwise healthy and bitten by a young, unvaccinated, puppy that she had "adopted" off the street.)

Small mammals carry lots of human diseases; rabies, hantavirus, leptospirosis, plague (via fleas), tularemia, not to mention the of the tick borne diseases (e.g. Lyme, babesiosis and anaplasmosis) for which they are alternate hosts.

When we first moved on to the ranch, our vet suggested vaccinating the horses for rabies. We asked why. He pointed out that the first thing a horse owner does with a salivating, slobbering horse is looking into its mouth, getting saliva all over themselves. We vaccinated promptly.

Getting the preventative rabies shot could make sense if you live in an area where you are likely to be exposed. It can be had for less than $400 if uninsured, and often much less if you have insurance. (Especially if you have met your deductible...sorry @MossRoad!)

All the best,

Peter

/ Bat in the house - rabies scare! #14  
From my understanding rarely do bats carry rabies. One got in the garage a couple years ago in the winter through cupola vents. I thought I was sweeping a leaf out the door and it was the bat in January, it was barely alive.
I called this national organization for bats and found there was a bat expert lady about 15 miles away, so took it to her. She said it's usually young males that stay behind not migrating in the Fall.
She kept it over winter feeding it grub worms, then released it in upstairs garage window. It was fine.
I bought a bat detector locator and at night see them.

/ Bat in the house - rabies scare! #15  
Our bats, Brown maybe? Stay in mines for the winter. We have lots and lots of them in the UP of MI.

/ Bat in the house - rabies scare! #16  
Is true. Only about 10 people have survived rabies in the past 20 years, while about 1.1 million have died from it in the past 20 years. Statistically, you're probably gonna die.

/ Bat in the house - rabies scare! #18  
Our bats, Brown maybe? Stay in mines for the winter. We have lots and lots of them in the UP of MI.
You have about 9 species of bats in Michigan.
We have about 13 species here in Indiana.

/ Bat in the house - rabies scare! #19  
From my understanding rarely do bats carry rabies. One got in the garage a couple years ago in the winter through cupola vents. I thought I was sweeping a leaf out the door and it was the bat in January, it was barely alive.
I called this national organization for bats and found there was a bat expert lady about 15 miles away, so took it to her. She said it's usually young males that stay behind not migrating in the Fall.
She kept it over winter feeding it grub worms, then released it in upstairs garage window. It was fine.
I bought a bat detector locator and at night see them.
I've never heard of bat detector before, sounds very interesting.

Many years ago i used to explore old mines and tunnels, used to see a number of bats in them.