Is Rural Living a Hobby?

/ Is Rural Living a Hobby? #61  
Thank you Beowulf, for your original post, you described my life perfectlly. I am never happier than when I get an idea, and start working on a project that will improve my property, and thus, my lifestyle.

I have a retired friend that lives in the nearest town. His 1/3 acre lot is pristine, not a blade of grass out of place nor a weed to be found.
But he is driving himself crazy looking for something to do, just not a big enough property to keep him busy every day. Wife says no to moving out of town, as she enjoys the percs of city life.

When I was in my early thirties, I told my wife if We moved to the country, I would buy her all the horses she wanted. Over the years it has cost me thousands, but it was so worth it.

/ Is Rural Living a Hobby? #62  
Unfortunately I don't consider it a hobby at this point. I consider it a necessity. I will do anything to keep from having to live in the city. I don't find small towns much better as I watch many of them being overrun with meth heads and other criminals. I also have refused to subject my son to the public school system.

On the bright side, I've always preferred country living. My username indicates my attitude :)

Kevin

/ Is Rural Living a Hobby? #63  
Can someone define the perks of city life in the USA? I can't find them. I did live in down town USA city for 11 years back in the 80's, in a mid-sized city. Didn't need to use the car much, was the only benefit. I would never live in a city now.

/ Is Rural Living a Hobby? #64  
Can someone define the perks of city life in the USA? I can't find them. I did live in down town USA city for 11 years back in the 80's, in a mid-sized city. Didn't need to use the car much, was the only benefit. I would never live in a city now.
There are advantages to city living for some folks.

Near "cultural things"...theater, museums, art...
No road to maintain
Garbage pickup
Close to hospitals
Assisted living faculties for those who need that.
Less or no lawn work

Not for me but some people "need" things I do not.

/ Is Rural Living a Hobby?
I, for one, hate the feeling of doing yard work when I think people or strangers are watching me do it. I prefer to be alone in nature, I guess. I'd rather not worry about my appearance, or where I can pee, or what words I yell when I drop a tool, or....
Yeah, the convenience of peeing when you want to (or need to) - I forgot about that very important advantage.

/ Is Rural Living a Hobby?
I've told my wife that if I had to move to the city there is a 50-50 chance I would become a serial killer.

/ Is Rural Living a Hobby? #67  
Started out to be a DIY, get back to the land, lifestyle. I had other outside work. Then it became a hobby for many years, once the fundimentals of the home were established. Now i want to figure out some way to make a small, 20 acres wood lot a working land: A place that produces something meaningful, or at least pays for the property tax. This transition is turning out to be difficult to figure out.

/ Is Rural Living a Hobby? #68  
Thank you Beowulf, for your original post, you described my life perfectlly. I am never happier than when I get an idea, and start working on a project that will improve my property, and thus, my lifestyle.

I have a retired friend that lives in the nearest town. His 1/3 acre lot is pristine, not a blade of grass out of place nor a weed to be found.
But he is driving himself crazy looking for something to do, just not a big enough property to keep him busy every day. Wife says no to moving out of town, as she enjoys the percs of city life.

When I was in my early thirties, I told my wife if We moved to the country, I would buy her all the horses she wanted. Over the years it has cost me thousands, but it was so worth it.
Before I got married I told my city girl fiancée that I wouldn't live in town, so we went property shopping. We found our starter 5 acres, closed on it, and got married three days later. It was good to us, since we doubled our money and were in year 9 of a 10 year mortgage when we sold it and bought our current 90 acres. Thirty-five years later you couldn't drag her back into a city. Her dad was a successful attorney, and she never imagined she would be able to afford a nicer house than the one she grew up in. We have a nicer house in a better setting.

/ Is Rural Living a Hobby? #69  
Pee when/where you need to. That's what pocket gopher holes were made for ..............

/ Is Rural Living a Hobby? #70  

7 minute commute to work.
3 minutes to grocery stores.
Dozens of restaurants close by.
Fire protection, ambulance, police just minutes away.
Entertainment, culture.
There's lots of pluses if you look for them.