If you hit a dog in the road, would you stop

/ If you hit a dog in the road, would you stop
So, I was suprised some people mentioned legally you are supost to report it. I never knew this, and doing a search, it looks like it is the law in many states. Now, would you really call 911, for what is not an emergency? They aren't going to send an ambulance. They could send an officer, to make a report, Yep, its a "insert animal type here" and your name and info.

I'm not an animal hater, but I was really surprised about this law. Don't think it would change my actions any. If its day light, and there is an obvious home it came from, I may knock, or honk. Night time, or crappy area, or no homes in say 500 ft, don't think I'd do anything.

I saw an article, saying, that if you take possession of the animal (loading it up) and/or taking it to a vet; you would be responsible for the vet bills. They say, move the animal out of the road, and call it in or notify the property owner (ie animals owner).

/ If you hit a dog in the road, would you stop #42  
40 some years ago while on a cross country vacation with my family, we came over a hill and there were two dogs in the road. My dad didn't have time to lift his foot off the gas and hit the brake when we hit both of them. We stopped and both were gone. I was just a kid and cried and to this day can still see the dogs spinning in the road from the impact. There were no houses nearby so no one we could check with. Sorry to any who have lost a dog to a car. I have lost two cats to cars. But we live off a 45 mph road that most go 55 on, and you can't stop on a dime at those speeds. Our cats are indoor cats now, and our 5 dogs have a very secure backyard fence.

/ If you hit a dog in the road, would you stop #43  
I have hit and killed three dogs in the last 50 odd years of driving. I always stopped and told the owner, if they didn't witness it.
The first one, was a collie, and the owner said he had been clipped a couple of times before when chasing cars, but never seemed to learn they could kill him.

/ If you hit a dog in the road, would you stop #44  
Some dogs have it coming and some owners suck. Sometimes you get both in one package. I have a distant neighbor that falls into the both category. Today their dog bit the end of my trailer as I drove by. I’m surprised that dog hasn’t already been killed. It was uninjured at least this time btw.
I've told the story before. Early '60s and a neighbor had a black '49 Buick work beater with an odd rumble that one dog would follow down our block barking and nipping at it as he drive home. One summer day I heard a panicky yelp & ran outside but didn't see exactly what had happened, only the neighbor pulling in his driveway and popping off a hubcap to remove a red shop rag dangling from it. Never heard or saw the dog chase a car again.

/ If you hit a dog in the road, would you stop #45  
Someone hit my dog, right in front of me, I immediately scooped up the dog put it in my truck and went to the vet. Person did not stop.
Dog had no broken bones, just bit his tongue.

Many years ago my best friend was driving me to ER because I was swelling up from a bee sting. He hit a friends dog, we kept going. The dog was sleeping on the road. We called them later and told them. This was pre cell phones.

My neighbors dog got killed on the road, and I’ve lost a few cats. No one stopped.

/ If you hit a dog in the road, would you stop #46  
Would I stop ? Perhaps. The problem with people these days is, no one wants to take responsibility for anything.
They aren't responsible for their dog being in the road, but it's your responsibility to stop and try to find the owner of the dog.
Sadly, That's the world we live in today.

I don't want my dog killed. That's why I installed an underground fence to keep her in.
I consider myself a responsible pet owner. Sadly, many think their pet should be able to go where it wants when it wants, then blast people that hit their dog being in the road !

Dogs don't belong on the road..If I hit your dog in the road, you are the problem not I .

/ If you hit a dog in the road, would you stop #47  
Did your vehicle get damaged in the accident? If you are driving a late model vehicle with plastic bumpers then the answer may be yes.

If you stop to take a picture of the dead [dog][deer] then your insurance claim can be "not at fault". The [dog][deer] jumped out of nowhere and hit YOU. Your premiums may or may not go up.

If YOU hit the [dog][deer] then you are at fault because you should have been a more careful driver. Enjoy your higher premiums.

If you hit a [deer] "here" you are supposed to call the cops and get a police report number for your insurance claim.

If you live in Ontario Canada your insurance premiums will likely go up anyways for no reason even if you are claims, ticket and accident free. Insurance is a monopoly here and you have to have it by law so bend over.

• Good Post
Reactions: LD1
   / If you hit a dog in the road, would you stop #48  
I don't want to believe there are people who wouldn't stop... Its unimaginable to me that if you hit a dog you would just go about your day like nothing happened. ..The people who wold do this..please let me know who you are and ill happily put you on my ignore list. A number of years ago I hit a dog about 1 mile from my house..It ran right out in front of me and I was going 35/40 mph. He was a larger white poodle/golden mix looking dog. He was not killed instantly but did pass. A cop showed up almost immediately as he was just passing by, The owners lived right where it happened and the kid was the only one home. The look on his face still haunts me.

/ If you hit a dog in the road, would you stop #49  
If the dog was injured I would stop to see if it could be helped, try to find the owner. If I accidentally hit it - like ran in front of me - and its dead, I would be gone. And if someone hit and killed our dog (happened many times on our farm when I was growing up - we went through 2 or 3 dogs yearly) I really would not want them stopping. I'd rather not know - might cause ill will. Helping out in the Palouse region of Washington, I was told to be wary of one farmer. Somebody hit his dog, and the person drove into the yard to tell the farmer. He grabbed a fence post from a pile in the yard and put it through the hitter's windshield trying to impale him. I don't know about other states or insurance companies but my insurance agent says no penalty for hitting a deer. Its why people moving from the city out into our rural area are surprised to find a higher rate - its because everyone hits deer.

/ If you hit a dog in the road, would you stop #50  
If you stop, You better be careful approaching an injured animal. It could be harmful to your health