Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #1,391  
Looking back when 12 and 13 years old my yearly earnings were bleak to say the least but it is all there in print...

$300 first year and $450 next... based on $50 a week.

One year in the 80's I had zero income... it was the year I spent remodeling a fixer I had bought... worked like a dog but it was all mine

In retrospect, guess I was eligible for unemployment as I was part of the Space Shuttle hires let go when the work stopped...

I guess we are just dumb that way or too proud to take a handout...

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #1,392  
You are not understanding that the economy is connected. It is not just that worker or that burger. When the minimum goes up, people making more than the minimum will get more, too. Many union contracts are pegged to the minimum wage. They automatically get raises if the minimum goes up. They could already be make 2-3x the minimum, but the contracts move them up. Even in nonunion environments, if you want to keep your good employees happy, when the minimum goes up, so does everything else. You cannot claim moral high ground based on intentions. I am sure that you and many others truly believe that boosting minimum wages will benefit the poor. The data shows just the opposite. Sure, for a few weeks or months, those who keep their jobs will have a bit more.

It is super scary right now because we have money supply concerns on top of pressure for massive increases in the minimum.
The money supply is the cause of inflation, though no CPI measures it. Inflation in the last few decades has attacked the basic means of social advancement. When I went to college in the '60s, I think tuition was $325/term, and a dorm room with 3 meals a day in the cafeteria was $365. Work-study paid $7/hour for washing test tubes, plus extra credit for making 1 molar standard solutions. I got $50/month from the Army as long as I was enrolled full time. At 10 hours a week working, I could cover one term of college with two months income with enough left over to buy records, meals out, movies, and hobbies. Try that today.

Fifty years ago, the primary means of wealth generation was home ownership. Even weekend warriors could get a 5% assumable VA mortgage. You could spin just about any paycheck into home ownership if you didn't drink it away. At the root of it, that's what the MAGA folks are really talking about. Inflation took that away, and it's not the price of a can of pork and beans that took it away, it was the printing presses and the vast accumulation of wealth that pushed basic assets like home ownership out of the reach of someone starting out. If you can't buy a house in your 20s, how are you supposed to get married and start a family? I know several young people who have resigned themselves to never owning a home, even though they want to, because of asset inflation. Call it sticker shock.

Superficial metrics like the CPI-U or the CPI-W are relevant to retired people because we have already garnered our assets. We own our homes, cars, tractors, and furniture. Maybe we even bought stocks when they were 10% of current prices. We could pretty much snooze through life and still end up with a decent nest egg. The only big inflation indicator we have to deal with is medical insurance, and that is mostly covered by Medicare. That level of economic security was not destroyed by hotel maids and burger flippers, it was destroyed by a system that left them sucking hind teat while vast accumulations of capital pushed asset inflation to extreme levels.

Yes, an increase in base wages would trigger an increase in the CPI. It would have little effect on inflation as a whole. To correct that, we need to shut off the printing presses and go through a period of high asset deflation. The oligarchs would bring down civilization first.

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #1,393  
While a 5.9% SS check increase sounds good until I realized if everything I buy inflates the same I have lost ground in a major way. Inflation is a killer tax.
Anybody who has been retired for a few years won't see a nickel of the increase. The "hold harmless" provision in Medicare premium increases means that we will have to make up for all those years that premiums went up and our SS did not.

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #1,394  
College can be affordable either through tuition free two year like SF offers or scholarships covering a wide variety of things.

Of course the tried and true GI benefits better than ever and several of our nurses and techs gained careers through military service and home ownership too...

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #1,395  
GI benefits are only available for a select few, and most states no longer offer any GI benefits at all, except perhaps hiring preference. By compensation, military service is highly paid now.

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #1,396  
Being a young homeowner is 100% true in my case but it was the least expensive single family home in the entire SF multiple listings at the time in the worst neighborhood... heck, someone broke in and stole my new 30 gallon water heater when I was at work... had bars on all windows and doors except the small garden window I put in over the kitchen sink...

1910 cottage of 575 square feet with fire damage on 25x100 lot...

Yes.. at age 22 I was thinking about retirement and paid off income property...

Attachments

• Scan0006.jpg
    Scan0006.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
  • Scan0009.jpg
    Scan0009.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:
   / Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #1,397  
If you stop working at 62 but do not collect does the monthly social security continue to increase even with no knee contributions coming in?
Yes as I understand. Penalties and bonuses are computed off of the date that you signed up I was told. So I just did not sign up till I was 70 to get the extra 32% per month until I die.

Now I drive more carefully and make sure I stay out of dark alleyways. :cool:

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #1,398  
College can be affordable either through tuition free two year like SF offers or scholarships covering a wide variety of things.

Of course the tried and true GI benefits better than ever and several of our nurses and techs gained careers through military service and home ownership too...
Tell that to a kid trying to get into veterinarian college. ;)

/ Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #1,399  
Yes as I understand. Penalties and bonuses are computed off of the date that you signed up I was told. So I just did not sign up till I was 70 to get the extra 32% per month until I die.

Now I drive more carefully and make sure I stay out of dark alleyways. :cool:
Yep... Dad waited to last possible moment and kept working through Chemo and Dialysis until the last three weeks of his life because it gave him comfort it would be of benefit to mom...

Last edited:
   / Retirement Planning - Lessons Learned #1,400  
Businesses are ALWAYS looking to automate. They're encouraged to do so: it's called CAPITAL EQUIPMENT.
Yes, but they typically do not do it until they get near the tipping point. Wages going up gets them to that point faster.