Trespasser.....what would you do?

/ Trespasser.....what would you do?
Anyway you can return the nails???

That got a snicker out of me. We took a container. Wife wants to build (what she calls) a "brow" over a couple windows. I'd call it more of an awning. None the less.... it would be shingled.....so yes, I now have a supply of roofing nails. No need to return!

/ Trespasser.....what would you do? #72  
There's a 50 acre tract next to mine. The closest to contact I've had with the landowner was when the power company wanted to bring power in for my neighbor and I, and they asked permission to put a guy wire on their land. The out of state landowner said "There's no reason to put power down that road."
I've owned this place for 20 years and lived here for 18, yet have NEVER seen anybody there. It's just a vacant piece of timberland which they apparently bought as an investment. What harm does it do if I take my shotgun and dog for a walk to see if we can scare up a bird?
None, IF that's the law of the land and the local custom. People there are used to it. Other places they are apparently quite hostile. Yikes.

/ Trespasser.....what would you do? #73  
Along those lines, my wife's cousin told me about a couple apps that not only give you the (general) outline of the property, they ALSO give you the owners name and the size of the parcel.

Looking at the land where my house is and surrounding area, it's dead on accurate other than a stones toss for possible variations in the property line. In other words, it might not be as accurate as a survey, but if you're walking the land to get an idea that the line is "here" within 20 feet, it is dead nuts for this farm.

We just got back putting no hunting signs on the front entrance areas, the rear road and painted the front along the highway. (the line going to the back is untouched as of now)

Found around 75 more roofing nails with the magnet that we missed the other day.
Doesn't your county have a GIS system that's free to access? That's what we have here. Click on a parcel, it shows you the boundaries, the parcel number, who owns it, how large it is, how much they pay in taxes, etc...

/ Trespasser.....what would you do? #74  
The first key piece of information you left out is, is the land posted? If so, are the signs all still in place, or have they been pulled down?

After making sure the signs are in place, next step is calling the sheriffs office. File a report.
Does TN have a Purple Paint Law. Use it if so.

/ Trespasser.....what would you do? #75  
So if you can't easily identify the owner you have the right to go on some property you don't own and hunt/put up a tree stand? I don't think so. Also how long do you have to observe the property to figure it is abandoned before you can do that? What if he was there last week? How would you know?
I'm not trying to disagree with you, just provide some context that this is normal human behavoir and you don't really need to be getting mad about it. Sure, by all means put a stop to it now and forever going forward. But no need to stress yourself out. And yes, if you have a big parcel of unposted, unattended woodland, people are going to hunt on it because it really isn't hurting anyone or causing any harm (if done respectfully).

But listen I basically do fully agree with you - its quite disrespectful to trespass and hunt without permission. When I bought my property, I had to deal with this same problem for a few years. My parcel had been unattended, so dirt bikers had carved some trails into it, and (the same?) people hunted on it freely. Shotgun shells everywhere. So I posted it, and blocked off the access trails. They chainsawed my blocking logs, and tore down my posted signs, and left garbage a few times.

This was one of the reasons that I intentionally allowed a grizzled buddy of mine to set up and hunt my property every fall - he ran a couple people off, took down a couple random stands, and after a couple years, no more problems. The dirtbags finally accepted that this property was now private and off limits.

/ Trespasser.....what would you do? #76  
There's a 50 acre tract next to mine. The closest to contact I've had with the landowner was when the power company wanted to bring power in for my neighbor and I, and they asked permission to put a guy wire on their land. The out of state landowner said "There's no reason to put power down that road."
I've owned this place for 20 years and lived here for 18, yet have NEVER seen anybody there. It's just a vacant piece of timberland which they apparently bought as an investment. What harm does it do if I take my shotgun and dog for a walk to see if we can scare up a bird?
ok what is the time limit? 18 years? 17? 3 months? Can I just come wander your property whenever I want?

/ Trespasser.....what would you do? #77  
Have we noticed - quite a difference between vacant land and land being lived upon. FOLKS KNOW WHEN THEY ARE TRESPASSING. They are much more hesitant on occupied land. Alway that fear of meeting the owner.

/ Trespasser.....what would you do? #78  
I'm not trying to disagree with you, just provide some context that this is normal human behavoir and you don't really need to be getting mad about it. Sure, by all means put a stop to it now and forever going forward. But no need to stress yourself out. And yes, if you have a big parcel of unposted, unattended woodland, people are going to hunt on it because it really isn't hurting anyone or causing any harm (if done respectfully).

But listen I basically do fully agree with you - its quite disrespectful to trespass and hunt without permission. When I bought my property, I had to deal with this same problem for a few years. My parcel had been unattended, so dirt bikers had carved some trails into it, and (the same?) people hunted on it freely. Shotgun shells everywhere. So I posted it, and blocked off the access trails. They chainsawed my blocking logs, and tore down my posted signs, and left garbage a few times.

This was one of the reasons that I intentionally allowed a grizzled buddy of mine to set up and hunt my property every fall - he ran a couple people off, took down a couple random stands, and after a couple years, no more problems. The dirtbags finally accepted that this property was now private and off limits.
Its normal human behavior to be disrespecful of property rights? So I can come over and hang out at your place uninvited and you are ok with it?

Look I am not saying shoot the trespasser or damage their car when you find it there or anything. I am just saying this is not right and NOT normal behavior.

I'd put up trail cams that transmit their pictures to the cloud. So when they are stolen you have a good picture of the guy stealing it. Hell I'd post one that was intentionally easy to be seen. Have another hidden one that will capture the images of the guy stealing the "bait" camera. The "bait" camera can just be the cheapest one you can find. Heck buy a non-working one on Ebay and use that as the "bait" camera.

/ Trespasser.....what would you do? #79  
Its normal human behavior to be disrespecful of property rights? So I can come over and hang out at your place uninvited and you are ok with it?

Look I am not saying shoot the trespasser or damage their car when you find it there or anything. I am just saying this is not right and NOT normal behavior.

I'd put up trail cams that transmit their pictures to the cloud. So when they are stolen you have a good picture of the guy stealing it. Hell I'd post one that was intentionally easy to be seen. Have another hidden one that will capture the images of the guy stealing the "bait" camera. The "bait" camera can just be the cheapest one you can find. Heck buy a non-working one on Ebay and use that as the "bait" camera.
You're misunderstanding me. If I semi-abandon my property for damn near 30 years like the OP, then hell yes, you can come hunt in my woods, because it harms no one. I will never even know. I would argue that this is in fact normal behavoir because it happens everywhere. all the time. Normal humans are doing this constantly.

If I am active and aware of my property, and have it posted and well marked, then that would be ridiculous. Do you see the distinction?

/ Trespasser.....what would you do? #80  
You're misunderstanding me. If I semi-abandon my property for damn near 30 years like the OP, then hell yes, you can come hunt in my woods, because it harms no one. I will never even know. I would argue that this is in fact normal behavoir because it happens everywhere. all the time. Normal humans are doing this constantly.

If I am active and aware of my property, and have it posted and well marked, then that would be ridiculous. Do you see the distinction?
No. What I see is the fact that it is not my property, I have no permission to be there and in fact am violating the law being there. You realize that we pass laws saying x is illegal because as a society that is behavior we expect people not to engage in right? Its my property. If I want it to sit vacant that is my right. It is not your right to determine some accepable period of time has elapsed that you have not noticed me using it and decide to you use it yourself.

It is MY property, not yours... do you see the distinction?