Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#5,671  
Well...here's some food for thought:

Chrysler produced over 1.8 million vehicles last year (2020). Chrysler's market capitalism is about $23 billion.

Ford produced over 4.2 million vehicles also last year and has a market cap of $78 billion.

GM produced 6.8 million in 2020 and market cap of $91 billion.

Here's where it gets interesting, bearing in mind all three have been around about 100 to 120 YEARS.

Lucid Motors has produced 520 vehicles (five hundred-twenty), market cap of $86 billion which exceeds Ford!

Rivian has made 42 (forty two) trucks, hoping to produce 1,200 vehicles by the end of this year! Market Cap? $129 billion, more than Chrysler and General Motors COMBINED!

Tesla has delivered 241,300 vehicles. It's market valuation? $1.1 TRILLION!!!!! This valuation exceeds Ford, Chrysler, GM, Toyota, Nissan, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Caterpillar, John Deere, Kubota, (add in 50 others) combined.

Exactly! So, which of the above is a bubble?
The ones marked for extinction.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,673  
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,674  
Anyone that lives in the PNW knows the deal. Go to Long View, Wa, and watch all those logs getting exported when local mills are saying they can't get a local resource. Look at the "sort-of" out of sight, dirty, coal piles in Vancouver, BC being sent to China. There is more money to be made in exporting. We have become a natural resource extraction zone: Just like so many other third world nations. And politically this has been re-directed, to a misguided point, to blame our environmental standards. We like EVs because we don't think about the entire process or the Geo-political concerns that go with that. For the three percent that now own damn near everything, it isn't enough, profit-wise, to adapt the ICE in to something that isn't polluting. Which is actually rather easy to do using hydrogen, solar powered separation. This is problematic, for the three percent, because any one can do it. Kind of like, what the 3D printer is going to do.
I lived right next to the Columbia river. The log trains running along the river were seemingly endless.

Once they caught fire, made national news.

Scappose Oregon

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,676  
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,677  
Fortunately my power rarely goes out for long here. The last time it was off, for a couple of hours, I had to drive an extra 45 miles round trip to gas up my pickup, as the local general store didn't have anybody there who could start their generator... just one reason I try not to let the tank get below 1/2.
Good practice..... I do the same.

I haven't dug into the details, but my impression from the bbc article was that it was a software/internet issue.

Basic Ingress/Egress.... make it more complicated, you introduce more dependencies..... folks like the toys/convenience.... me, I'm not big on the trade-offs.

Getting Into, or Out Of a vehicle can be a legitimate Safety issue, not just an annoyance.

Rgds, D.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,678  
As much as I dislike Tesla, this is in no way unique to them. Just another major problem waiting to happen in this day of "connected" cars.
Saw a story on the news one day last week about someone who bought a used car (Ford if I'm not mistaken), and was suddenly having issues with doors locking/unlocking and other strange things, seemingly by itself. As it turned out, the previous owner had a cellphone ap to control his car and had neglected to delete it when he sold it. Apparently he was confusing this ap with one for his new car. Somehow it got traced back to him.
Luckily in this case it was an innocent oversight, but the ways someone could be malicious with this are scary to say the least.

Please excuse the possible stupid question, but can this "connectedness" be disabled without bricking the vehicle? I know all this tech-y stuff seems to be a selling point, but I can't be the only one with no need/desire for this "feature".

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#5,679  
Well...here's some food for thought:

Chrysler produced over 1.8 million vehicles last year (2020). Chrysler's market capitalism is about $23 billion.

Ford produced over 4.2 million vehicles also last year and has a market cap of $78 billion.

GM produced 6.8 million in 2020 and market cap of $91 billion.

Here's where it gets interesting, bearing in mind all three have been around about 100 to 120 YEARS.

Lucid Motors has produced 520 vehicles (five hundred-twenty), market cap of $86 billion which exceeds Ford!

Rivian has made 42 (forty two) trucks, hoping to produce 1,200 vehicles by the end of this year! Market Cap? $129 billion, more than Chrysler and General Motors COMBINED!

Tesla has delivered 241,300 vehicles. It's market valuation? $1.1 TRILLION!!!!! This valuation exceeds Ford, Chrysler, GM, Toyota, Nissan, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Caterpillar, John Deere, Kubota, (add in 50 others) combined.

Fuddy1952 to grasp how Tesla is getting to a 3 trillion dollar market cap at speed of light grasp on each of Joe Justice's stepping stones. One can see how Tesla today truly has no competition. In recent weeks the CEO of Volkswagen and Ford have clearly stated that without adopting the approach Tesla has taken that they cannot compete and win against TESLA.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,680  
Status
Not open for further replies.