Jinma 284 fuel leak and rad leak

/ Jinma 284 fuel leak and rad leak #1  

bkline19

Tractor
Jinma 284
Hi all,
A disclaimer - I'm not very mechanically inclined and would benefit from very explicit info for any feedback!

I definitely have some fuel leak(s) going on with my Jinma 284. Hard to tell exactly where/how many points are leaking. I have fuel dribbling pretty steady off the bottom of the filter while it's under operation and it looks like it's dropping onto at least one of the injection ports (but i'm not sure if that fitting is maybe leaking as well on its own). Any advice about how to figure out exactly which connection points are leaking, and how to intervene?

Also, I have very minimal dripping of coolant from the lower radiator hose connection point. I see a drop sitting on the bottom elbow of the radiator and am assuming it's probably just dripping down from the hose (the hose looks like it's pretty dried up). Is that most likely true, or should I be concerned about that metal elbow point possibly leaking?

Thanks for the help in advance!

/ Jinma 284 fuel leak and rad leak
Hi all,
A disclaimer - I'm not very mechanically inclined and would benefit from very explicit info for any feedback!

I definitely have some fuel leak(s) going on with my Jinma 284. Hard to tell exactly where/how many points are leaking. I have fuel dribbling pretty steady off the bottom of the filter while it's under operation and it looks like it's dropping onto at least one of the injection ports (but i'm not sure if that fitting is maybe leaking as well on its own). Any advice about how to figure out exactly which connection points are leaking, and how to intervene?

Also, I have very minimal dripping of coolant from the lower radiator hose connection point. I see a drop sitting on the bottom elbow of the radiator and am assuming it's probably just dripping down from the hose (the hose looks like it's pretty dried up). Is that most likely true, or should I be concerned about that metal elbow point possibly leaking?

Thanks for the help in advance!
I'd be happy to grab some photos if that's helpful for people to help with assessment!

/ Jinma 284 fuel leak and rad leak #3  
Yes, please post pictures.
To track down leaks I usually try to get everything clean and dry so that you have a better chance of seeing the source instead of the results. I would use a spray brake cleaner to wash down the suspected fuel leak area.
O-rings in fuel fittings and rubber radiator hoses definitely go bad with age so they are considered consumable parts. Look for domestic replacements rather than imported as the OEM are less than high quality to start with.
Also what is the current temps in your location? Coolant leaks often show themselves at lower temperatures.
What year is your 284 and has it sat outside in the elements for a long time?

Yes, please post pictures.
To track down leaks I usually try to get everything clean and dry so that you have a better chance of seeing the source instead of the results. I would use a spray brake cleaner to wash down the suspected fuel leak area.
O-rings in fuel fittings and rubber radiator hoses definitely go bad with age so they are considered consumable parts. Look for domestic replacements rather than imported as the OEM are less than high quality to start with.
Also what is the current temps in your location? Coolant leaks often show themselves at lower temperatures.
What year is your 284 and has it sat outside in the elements for a long time?
Thank you for the feedback - I will get some photos after leaning things up to get a better idea of where it's originating.

Yes - temps have dropped, I'm in the northeast and temps have been fluctuating a lot over the past couple weeks.

I'm a new owner of the tractor so I'm not sure of its history in terms of storage - but it looks like it has seen some elements for sure! I believe it's a 2002.

UPDATE: No real issue in the location that I anticipated - turns out that the fuel filter was just a bit loose and was dripping all over the lines below, injectors, etc...
However - I did notice the immediate line out of the tank is cracked and seeping slightly - doesn't look like too much loss, but it's something. I've attached a photo here. What's the procedure for replacing this line?

In terms of the coolant - I tightened up the hose clamp and will see if it holds - if not I'll just get a replacement hose. It doesn't appear that there's a crack in the elbow or anything, just seeing loss at the location where the hose meets the elbow.

Attachments

• IMG-7306.jpg
    IMG-7306.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 92
   / Jinma 284 fuel leak and rad leak #6  
Pull the lower end of the cracked fuel line off the clamp and insert a plug in the old hose (bolt or screw) to reduce fuel leakage. Attach the replacement hose then pull off the upper end of the old hose and quickly attach the new hose and clamp to the upper connection.

Pull the lower end of the cracked fuel line off the clamp and insert a plug in the old hose (bolt or screw) to reduce fuel leakage. Attach the replacement hose then pull off the upper end of the old hose and quickly attach the new hose and clamp to the upper connection.
Thanks - is there a special tool I'll need to use to remove from clamp and re-clamp? Never done it before.

/ Jinma 284 fuel leak and rad leak #8  
Thanks - is there a special tool I'll need to use to remove from clamp and re-clamp? Never done it before.
If it’s a squeeze clamp, ordinary pliers will work fine, otherwise the clamp will be fastened by a screw. Be sure to buy the correct size rubber fuel hose.

If it’s a squeeze clamp, ordinary pliers will work fine, otherwise the clamp will be fastened by a screw. Be sure to buy the correct size rubber fuel hose.
Thanks so much - I'll have to figure out the size somehow! Will check with a parts distributor to see if they can help out

/ Jinma 284 fuel leak and rad leak #10  
According to your picture it's a crimped ferrule "clamp". The ferrule (metal part) will have to be sawed through to successfully remove the hose and reveal the hose barbs. You'll find that a 1/4" ID hose will work just fine. Use mini hose clamps.