YM155d not starting...ran out of fuel !!

/ YM155d not starting...ran out of fuel !! #1  

vern748

Tractor
YM2000, YM155D, Branson2505
Hi All,

Before you say so, I know, stupid me. Ugh
So, it is a YM155d. I know how to bleed a diesel fuel system, but this one has me stumped. The fuel bowl is below the fuel pump !!??
I bleed the bowl.
I bleed the left screw at the bowl
I bleed the right screw at the bowl
I go to bleed the screw at the fuel pump and nada....it is an uphill run from the fuel bowl to the fuel pump !??! Pretty stupid setup.
Do I need to put more fuel in the tank, to above the height of the fuel pump in order to have the pressure force the fuel to the pump ? Is that the secret ?

Cheers
Vern

/ YM155d not starting...ran out of fuel !! #2  
Really all I do is loosen a line at the injector after I put more fuel in tank. Crank it over until fuel shoots out. Tighten and it starts. Sometimes it runs rough a few seconds but smooths out.

/ YM155d not starting...ran out of fuel !! #3  
Sorry to hear about it.

I would add more fuel, bleed at the fuel pump, and then do as @ROUSTABOUT suggests. I figure any air that you can get out of the system without running a diesel engine is a good thing.

All the best,

Peter

/ YM155d not starting...ran out of fuel !! #4  
Hi All,

Before you say so, I know, stupid me. Ugh
So, it is a YM155d. I know how to bleed a diesel fuel system, but this one has me stumped. The fuel bowl is below the fuel pump !!??
I bleed the bowl.
I bleed the left screw at the bowl
I bleed the right screw at the bowl
I go to bleed the screw at the fuel pump and nada....it is an uphill run from the fuel bowl to the fuel pump !??! Pretty stupid setup.
Do I need to put more fuel in the tank, to above the height of the fuel pump in order to have the pressure force the fuel to the pump ? Is that the secret ?

Cheers
Vern

Vern,

Follow this to the letter. :)

/ YM155d not starting...ran out of fuel !!
HI,

Thanks for the assistance, but I know all this, and have looked through the Hoye tractor instructions.
I think we are not seeing the salient point here. The fuel bowl is below the fuel pump, unlike most every other tractor, tank, car, generator, etc, I have ever worked on, including my YM2000.
( PS. the fuel tank also sits about 2 inches below the level of the fuel pump) I think I will have to fill the fuel tank about another 2 or 3 inches to get enough gravity to get to the fuel pump. See what happens.
I was looking for anyone that may have purged the fuel system on a YM155D, guess not.

/ YM155d not starting...ran out of fuel !! #6  
This shows the bleeding procedure around the 4 minute mark. Not sure if it applies to your model

/ YM155d not starting...ran out of fuel !! #7  
HI,

Thanks for the assistance, but I know all this, and have looked through the Hoye tractor instructions.
I think we are not seeing the salient point here. The fuel bowl is below the fuel pump, unlike most every other tractor, tank, car, generator, etc, I have ever worked on, including my YM2000.
( PS. the fuel tank also sits about 2 inches below the level of the fuel pump) I think I will have to fill the fuel tank about another 2 or 3 inches to get enough gravity to get to the fuel pump. See what happens.
I was looking for anyone that may have purged the fuel system on a YM155D, guess not.

I've done my YM165D which is identical to the YM155D.

Yes, the fuel bowl is beneath the injector (fuel) pump, but that doesn't matter since the fuel tank is above them both.

To bleed it, purge the air progressively starting with the intake to the fuel bowl and ending at the injectors.

rScotty

/ YM155d not starting...ran out of fuel !! #8  
Fill the tank up, follow the procure you already did. It will work. As said the tank is above the pump, gravity does the rest.

/ YM155d not starting...ran out of fuel !!
Hi all,
Just to get correct information out there if anyone comes across this on the YM155d.
The fuel injector pump bleeder is above the level of the fuel tank. You MUST have 4+in of fuel in the tank for it the bleed correctly.

Thanks everyone for your assistance..

/ YM155d not starting...ran out of fuel !! #10  
Hi all,
Just to get correct information out there if anyone comes across this on the YM155d.
The fuel injector pump bleeder is above the level of the fuel tank. You MUST have 4+in of fuel in the tank for it the bleed correctly.

Thanks everyone for your assistance..
How can the bleeder be "above the level of the fuel tank" don't all these tractors have a fuel tank at the top and right under the hood just or just other side of the dash and the injection pump is on the side or lower front of the engine? I guess you could have a pump up higher on the front and a lower placed tank than the YMs I have seen and if your fuel level was low it might occur?