Beet Juice Tire Ballast

/ Beet Juice Tire Ballast #1  

ruko

Bronze Member
Tractor
None
I'm considering ballast for my tractor tires. Beet juice seems to be recommended most frequently. The literature states freezing point at -35 degrees F. for RIM Guard which appears to be the only juice source available for this application. Other literature about beet juice, not RIM guard, state freezing point at -6 degrees. I can imagine a giant slug of frozen juice in the bottom of my tire at -35 F. which happens frequently in northern Minnesota.

Is it really freeze resistant to -35?

Thanks

/ Beet Juice Tire Ballast #2  
Would it hurt anything if it did slush up a bit?

/ Beet Juice Tire Ballast #3  
   / Beet Juice Tire Ballast #4  
ive gotten to -20 here in the past, no issues. thats cold enough. at -35 im staying indoors.

i used to work in northern montana back in the 1980's, where wind chills regularly reached -60F. NEVER again.

/ Beet Juice Tire Ballast #5  
My M6040 came with RimGuard loaded rear tires. Like grsthegreat - I've seen -20F in the past. No problems at that temp. At -35F, you won't see me outside either.

Actually - at minus 20F or anything even close to that - - I won't be going outside. I've seen it once - that's enough.

/ Beet Juice Tire Ballast #6  
RUKO - did you check - do you have a Rimguard dealer close to you. I was considering Rimguars also, closest dealer was about 4 hrs away. Maybe they are closer there.

/ Beet Juice Tire Ballast #7  
I checked on Rimguard a couple of years ago, nearest dealer was 2 hours away and they needed all day to fill the tires. That one was a surprise, guess the beet juice is thicker and the flow is slow. Anyway I could not see making two trips, 2 hours each way.

RV antifreeze while not as heavy works just fine and I can fill em' myself.

/ Beet Juice Tire Ballast #8  
My dealer installed a new product in my tires that he called “bio-ballast.” He said it’s a new product made from corn and is non-toxic and not as messy as beet juice if you need to repair a tire. He said that it doesn’t freeze. You can find out more about this by calling the dealer. Southwest AG, Bayfield, CO. (970-884-4101).

/ Beet Juice Tire Ballast #9  
An amazing young woman I know bought a used JD4400 from the County that ha some mechanical and other issues, including worn turf (R3) tires. The R3's were filled with RimGuard. She was able to drain out the RimGuard into buckets (a LOT of buckets). Then she bought some R4s and proceeded to load them with the RimGuard from the buckets using only a 12V pump she bought on Amazon and some hardware store tubing. Got it all in ! Not sure of the fill level, we can wait for the first frost to show the fill line. The stuff is just under $4 a gallon and quite a bit more to have professionally installed. So that was a big success story. Pictures on my phone.

BTW: in spite of being told "not possible", the Titan R4s fit the R3 rims perfectly. Fronts & rears.

/ Beet Juice Tire Ballast #10  
doesnt take all day to fill. even Les Schaub tires can remove existing rim guard and refill the new tire during rear tire swaps. they probably meant leave it all day cause they have to find time to get around to it. its put in with a pump