Beet Juice Tire Ballast

/ Beet Juice Tire Ballast
doesnt take all day to fill. even Les Schaub tires can remove existing rim guard and refill the new tire during rear tire swaps. they probably meant leave it all day cause they have to find time to get around to it. its put in with a pump
ive gotten to -20 here in the past, no issues. thats cold enough. at -35 im staying indoors.

i used to work in northern montana back in the 1980's, where wind chills regularly reached -60F. NEVER again.
Thanks. I also have a Kioti. HST DK4210 cab. On a side note, how is Couer d'Alene lake doing? I visited the area a while ago and there was much talk about lake pollution with lead and zinc. It sure is a beautiful lake and it would be real shame to let it go.

/ Beet Juice Tire Ballast #12  
My dealer installed a new product in my tires that he called “bio-ballast.” He said it’s a new product made from corn and is non-toxic and not as messy as beet juice if you need to repair a tire. He said that it doesn’t freeze. You can find out more about this by calling the dealer. Southwest AG, Bayfield, CO. (970-884-4101).
I looked up the spec sheet on bio-ballast. It is interesting. Unless I missed it, there was no specific mention of the actual weight per gallon. I am not sure, but it seems to be mixed with water something like 70-30. But it is interesting.

And grsthegreat is correct, it does not take a day for the actual process. It is pumped in by a pump and bypass system that is provided (or sold by) Rimguard to the dealer.

I think it could be done by anyone. But it could turn into the biggest mess ever. But as far as installation, I was priced $3.89 a gallon installed. I asked about just buying the liquid (so I would not have to bring the tractor), I was told it is same cost - installation is included.

Last edited:
   / Beet Juice Tire Ballast #13  
My dealer uses bio ballast. No issues in Colorado where we get to -20 on occasion. Had planned on beet juice (Rimguard), but just went with what my dealer used. Allegedly similar weight, lack of toxicity & freezing points. Bio ballast claims to smell less & maybe be less sticky.

Both apparently turn into a slushy rather than ice cube. At least according to the manufacturer claims. If true, it should prevent damage if it does actually freeze.

Wind chill doesn't affect freezing. It will make things freeze a bit quicker, but not whether it freezes or not.

/ Beet Juice Tire Ballast #14  
Wind chill doesn't affect freezing. It will make things freeze a bit quicker, but not whether it freezes or not.
Very few people understand this.

/ Beet Juice Tire Ballast #15  
Tell that to the boys….when its -60f

/ Beet Juice Tire Ballast #16  
Thanks. I also have a Kioti. HST DK4210 cab. On a side note, how is Couer d'Alene lake doing? I visited the area a while ago and there was much talk about lake pollution with lead and zinc. It sure is a beautiful lake and it would be real shame to let it go.
The lakes fine, as long as the Californian newcomers dont dredge the bottom to get their huge boats further inshore.
they keep suing trying to allow dredging, but keep losing. Thank goodness

if they ever succeed and allow dredging, they will bring up all the toxins from the silver mining from 100 years ago.

/ Beet Juice Tire Ballast #17  
Actually windchill is an animal specific thing. Machinery only knows temperature. Wind make s no matter.

Well, slight caveat where somehthing is 'wet' and can evaporate, but then minor. In this case of fluid inside tires and cannot evaporate - windchill means nothing.

/ Beet Juice Tire Ballast #19  
According to the bio ballast web specs - about 9.7 pounds per gallon. About a pound per gallon less than RimGuard.

/ Beet Juice Tire Ballast #20  
ive gotten to -20 here in the past, no issues. thats cold enough. at -35 im staying indoors.

i used to work in northern montana back in the 1980's, where wind chills regularly reached -60F. NEVER again.
Wind chill affects you and I; actual Temperature effects machinery.