Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,951  
It is a race now but the technology will be more standardized and EVs seems to be easier to produce so I suppose we will get a lot of variations on the same platform, a advanced badge engineering, the race for longer range will meet lesser interest when a certain range is achieved and increase of that range will not be a big selling point. Here it's the VW EVs that are the most interesting brand to follow, how easy will customers switch from ICE to EV, here in Norway this process is done and VW are almost selling non ICE cars at all, but it's not like that everywhere in Europe.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,952  

The Great Convergence trigger by Tesla.

"Put all three of these small stories together and what you get is a picture of an auto industry that is converging in on itself. There’s little doubt that some brand names we are familiar with are likely to disappear in the years ahead, joining such illustrious predecessors as Pontiac, Plymouth, DeSoto, Hudson, and yes, Isotta Fraschini. It’s all part of the process known as creative destruction that is at the heart of capitalist theory.
Honda and Toyota are the most likely to disappear, as neither has much of a commitment to electric vehicles in the same way Volkswagen, Ford, and General Motors have. The transition to EVs will be as painful as it is inevitable. What well-known brand names do you think will disappear by the end of this decade?"
Not Toyota or Honda as that fool claims (not you).

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,953  
While most EV charging is done overnight at home without thought as you noted EV charging for cross country trips is in place. Tesla computes your charging points for you.

Telsa opening up their chargers to other EV brands is helpful for all and is good for Telsa' stock price.

Good used home solar setups for EV hobby charging is really dropping the cost. The thought of gassing up with sunshine is so satisfying.
Thats a very myopic view that diminishes your strident push and links for EVs.
You may be retired and want to reduce expenses/save the world and thats terrific, but most people are active and want to travel. I don’t want to stop 4 times on a 600 mile trip to visit my kids in college. My time is too valuable. My prostate does not require that many breaks :)
Working people who drive, fire, police, ambulance can’t stop and fuel up on sunshine.
Gotta stop with the one size fits all fantasy. If it fits millions of retirees, great! But don’t force it on us with $6/g fuel.
Leave ICEV alone and let people figure out which way they want to go. Let capitalism and free markets conduct a competition. Let the range be increased, the price drop for the average guy and let their be heavier vehicle availability FIRST.
I like your enthusiasm, but we are not a one size fits all country.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#5,954  
It is a race now but the technology will be more standardized and EVs seems to be easier to produce so I suppose we will get a lot of variations on the same platform, a advanced badge engineering, the race for longer range will meet lesser interest when a certain range is achieved and increase of that range will not be a big selling point. Here it's the VW EVs that are the most interesting brand to follow, how easy will customers switch from ICE to EV, here in Norway this process is done and VW are almost selling non ICE cars at all, but it's not like that everywhere in Europe.
Norway caught my attention over 2 years and helped me to realize the ICE was on its way out.

Being 70 the Covid Pandemic is bringing the most change in a short period of time that I have ever witnessed.

The jump in fuel cost is opening the eyes of some Anti EV types like myself. Getting our Leaf was more or less a proof of concept thing for me.

In the USA the inflation in vehicle prices has many of us in HOLD mode when it comes to buying new or used cars.

While I will need gas and diesel for hopefully a long long time I do plan EVs for new vehicles when I can afford a new car. I think we are 5+ years from having affordable EV options in rural America.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,955  
Was a lot of scepticism here to, but that is mostly gone, and mostly because everyone knows some that has a EV and three are very few that complain on the practical use. But it does not fit all, and in commercial vehicles the EVs are still few, but newer models from Stellantis have decent range and make sense.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#5,956  
Not Toyota or Honda as that fool claims (not you).
Japanese car makers are toast in Europe and China and in the USA their babyboomer market share is dying on them. They had a good run in the USA for 50 years but they didn't make the EV curve and crashed.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,957  
Then there’s the ongoing question, to which no one has an absolute concrete answer:
Is there really a reduction in emissions when power plants, fired by fossil fuels, will have to work harder to charge all the EVs?
Is the reduction enough to warrant:
1. the mining of the metals for batteries.
2. The production of critical vehicle components mostly overseas?
3. the loss of 100’s of thousands of american jobs in the energy sector?
4. the disposal of, and the looming environmental disaster forthcoming from exhausted batteries?

I don’t think all 4 have been computed and considered fully, despite the vigor in which EVs are being pursued.

You can call people like me who question forced EVs “living in the past” or other disparaging names, but I think it’s more prudent to be cautious, let free markets work, and not force a one size fits all energy policy on everyone.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,958  
But making a litre gasoline has enormous use of energy before you fill it in your tank, it's hidden in the same way as electricity produced on dirty sources.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,959  
Was a lot of scepticism here to, but that is mostly gone, and mostly because everyone knows some that has a EV and three are very few that complain on the practical use. But it does not fit all, and in commercial vehicles the EVs are still few, but newer models from Stellantis have decent range and make sense.
Makes sense!

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,960  
When EVs has enough market share it will make economical sense for a lot of people, but to get there it often need some help, here the government have used enormous amount of oil money to give the EVes a market and experience in real world.

Status
Not open for further replies.