Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,221  
I don't think we want pictures of this one.

Trucker killed when load of steel shifts east of San Diego

www.sfgate.com.ico
SFGate|6 minutes ago
A trucker was killed in eastern San Diego County when his load of steel shifted and impaled him, authorities said. The incident occurred Tuesday afternoon on Interstate 8 east of El Cajon,

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,222  
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,223  
I wonder how you would feel if you & your personal vehicle were subjected to one of these inspections 4 or 5 times a year.
IF they want to, any inspector CAN find a violation on ANY vehicle.
I'm in the pyrotechnics industry and can concur. I was wrote up once during an inspection at the weight station. I was asked to pull the breakaway pin on my trailer so he could check proper operation. When I did I leaned over the side of my truck bed and pulled it instead of climbing in and pulling toward the cab. The sideways angle of the pull caused the plastic clip to snap inside the housing. Since the brakes didn't lock up I was immediately written up as an out of service even though he saw what and why it happened. I had a replacement clip in my toolbox and fixed on-site. Even though my truck never moved with a faulty breakaway I was cited and it went on my companies cmv record.

What's even more frustrating is I fought it in court. The judge agreed with me and threw it out. I then found out after the fact that a court dismissal will not remove it from your cmv record. Even if your found not guilty the only way to get it removed is through an appeal process with FMCSA.

In another instance I was cited for improper load bracing of my firework cases due to a 1 inch gap between a couple of boxes. Couldn't find anything else so wrote me for that.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,224  
Testing brakes is usually just leaving the parking brake engaged on the trailer, and pulling forward slightly to make sure they grab. Or pulling forward slightly and hitting the paddle to engage the trailer brakes.
Otherwise known as the tug test and a good way to check that your Kingpin is locked in a controlled fashion while you can still stop before you drive completely out from underneath a fully loaded trailer, seen the aftermath of that, it took three large forklifts to pick the front of the trailer up enough to jack it up without taking all afternoon, they probably wouldn't have done it except he was in the way and they wanted him gone.

Aaron Z

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,227  
While working for my last employer I gave check rides to several drivers. Most were okay, but one fresh out of truck driving school I wouldn't hire to drive a wheel barrow let alone a dump truck and trailer grossing 105,500. I took him to a gravel pit and told him to get the feel of the truck and how it turns and get familiar with it. He spent about 60 seconds getting used to it. Drove out of the pit and put the right steer tire 3 feet off the pavement turning left out of the pit, couldn't find a gear if he had a map, and complained that all trucks should be automatics. Cut short that check ride as soon as I could. He's probably driving for Swift now.
Shure Wish I Finished Training!

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,228  
I have given several drivers the boot last year. The big bosses have tried to argue but without my signature our safety department will block thier continued employment as a driver.
It’s not often you can scare me but some of these drivers really had me thinking I wasn’t going to make it back alive. In a few cases I didn’t even let them finish the run, they came back in the passenger seat knowing full well they were getting the boot!
I've done that on several road tests.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #16,229  
Your missing the things I have seen in the last 2 weeks

Can’t get the trailer into the dock
Unable to change a light bulb
Doesn’t know there are breakers and fuses
Does not have a clue how to adjust mirrors
I’ve seen some that can’t even check thier own oil but not in the last two weeks
When picking up a container with 3 lines- they connect to the service line and emergency and wonder why the brakes won’t release
Drive over every curb on the site
Back trailers in and leave without ever opening barn dorors - even after the warehouse employee has cut the seal for them
Writing the trailer vin number on paperwork rather than the trailer number that’s in big bold letters on the trailer
Have no understanding of the brakes, can’t understand that you don’t release the red one if you don’t have a trailer. Can’t seem to understand why they have an air leak.
Turning tight and way too soon as they leave the dock, hitting the trailer beside
Not doing a tug test, or checking the latch and looking at us stupid after they drop the trailer
Haveing no clue how to line up for a good back on anything but a perfect world and even then they can’t get it right.
Wrong door again, usually due to no English again
Can’t read a simple do not enter, one way, receiving sign with an arrow and shipping with the arrow the other way
Can’t get the trailer in from that spot as they keep hitting the curb with the truck and running out of room, so they try over and over again from the same spot, with the same exact steering 22 times in a row and still don’t want to listen to your free advice so they do it 2 more times before you leave wondering if they ever got in or are still there trying a week later. (By the way this one was supposed to be the trainer) The trainee actually listened and asked me to show her in my truck before I left.
Moving fluorescent barriers and then sitting at an exit gate that had been closed off for years wondering why no one will let them out of this yard. Actually called thier terminal to complain!
One of my favorites is the trailer almost 2 ft off to one side of the door then they get upset because they have to move it or it can’t be unloaded. Last one I saw they were covering the lights beside the door.
Pulling into a lot full of cars instead of following the trucks this way sign with the big picture and arrow pointing the way.
Asking an other driver, how, where, when they are confused or having trouble then not listening to or arguing with the advice or direction. Sometimes asking multiple times as if they are hoping your answer will change to Make thing easy for them somehow.

In most cases I am afraid to ask how they got there in one piece!
Sounds like you've been in my yard.
I've seen all of that too. Especially backing up over and over again without changing any geometry.
A couple of us tried to help a guy get into a dock but he wouldn't listen. So we just sat and watched. 45 minutes !!
Pumped the brakes out of air a bunch of times, we could smell his clutch, and he was sweating bullets.

This one was an experienced driver but texting. (he eventually admitted - then lied his butt off on the accident report)
I took that pic but blacked names out to be polite.

1641445580680.png