Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #7,311  
All the money we so eagerly plunk down for their products partially goes to their expansionism. Look at the influences they have on our news media, leadership, entertainment and educational system.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #7,312  
Oh my….I’m much more afraid of Chinese aggression. Although the obvious body count isn’t there compared to a 9-11 jihadist event, they CCP is very much tied into phentanyl deaths ranging into the 100’s of thousands of Americans.

I’m sure they are just building up their military to confront Norway, right?
China has been a superpower for a couple thousand years, the last couple of hundred years has been not so good but in the long run that's a minor setback.

One thing is sure, they won't be a servant to the west one second longer than they must, and we in the west will be challenged over resources and political influence everywhere.

The only big question is how stable is the power structure in China, how good control do CCP have over the people?

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #7,313  
China has been a superpower for a couple thousand years, the last couple of hundred years has been not so good but in the long run that's a minor setback.

One thing is sure, they won't be a servant to the west one second longer than they must, and we in the west will be challenged over resources and political influence everywhere.

The only big question is how stable is the power structure in China, how good control do CCP have over the people?

Considering communism has never worked as a country's economic foundation...the odds are real good I will witness the fall of communist china in my lifetime.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #7,314  
Considering communism has never worked as a country's economic foundation...the odds are real good I will witness the fall of communist china in my lifetime.
Maybe, or it continues to adapt in a way that the Soviet Union never was able to, Gorbachev tryed to reform but it collapsed into a more or less bandit state where small groups stole state property and got sickening rich and leaving the citizens broke.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #7,315  
Regarding pollution associated with operation of ICE vs EV. Argument earlier about ‘oil’ burned for ICE and electricity being the same.

For a given unit of power used/consumed, which do you expect is least polluting?

IE. exhaust from an ICE or ‘exhaust’ from a coal, NG, nuclear plant for the same unit of energy delivered?

(I have 1 EV and multiple diesel and gas powered vehicles, as much as I wouldn’t support it, I expect some level of ‘mandate’ will come in the form of increased taxes on fuel, vehicle cost, registration, etc to force EVs to become more prevalent like some countries are already implementing, starting in liberal city centers and spreading, there will be ICE exemptions for use cases for a long long long time, where straight EV is highly impractical

We won’t force you to use an EV, just make it financially burdensome to not use and EV!

Then again. Commifornia, banning small ICE, maybe they will outright ban…

Also, banned semi trucks of certain vintage.
So… maybe others will follow suit)

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #7,316  
Ford has already come out and said they have no plans on putting batteries in the Super duties. They said it makes no sense at this point.

GM likes to blow smoke up people's ass just to pacify the current political winds. GM is hopping for as much government money as possible. However I doubt shareholders will like GM conceding the entire HD truck market to Ford.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #7,317  

Thanks.
Real world? It's like the folks I see messing up inputting fuel info into Fuelly.com, they mistype and and let it go, reporting MPGs that I KNOW are bogus: I always look to see what vehicles can actually beat my 2000 VW TDI Golf (108k miles logged with an average MPG of 51.5). Also, watch out if US or Imperial gallons: in Imperial gallons my car's MPG average would be about 61.8).

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #7,318  
Don't fall for his very misleading and bordering on fear mongering "headline". First off they are talking about the potential price per barrel of oil in 2050. Second, that high price is the worst case of three scenarios that Lukoil (Russian energy company?) envisions. Third, their best case is oil in the low $100s. For reference, if oil is around $70/barrel today and, if inflation is consistent with the last 30 years, then oil should cost about $150 in 2050 from just plain old inflation. Fourth, their worst case includes the costs from governments forcing carbon neutrality. It is not due to a predicted shortage of oil.

https ://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/Lukoil-Heres-How-Oil-Could-Hit-380-Per-Barrel-In-2050.html
{quote} Oil prices are set to exceed $100 per barrel in all three scenarios for global energy developments through 2050, with inflation and carbon prices potentially sending oil to $380 a barrel in 2050, Russia’s oil producer Lukoil said in its long-term energy outlook on Friday. {/quote}

Please people, try to vet your "information" before you post. We humans are a silly lot and we start to believe anything we see. See it enough times and we start believing it, even when we know it's wrong! That $380 number will stick in the back of people's minds and subconsciously influence their thinking about the future of oil. To post it without the proper context is just irresponsible.
I agree. I'll also add what others just flat-out fail to comprehend: economies of scale. Reduced output means lowered economies of scale. IF we're pushing beyond fossil fuels then it is CERTAIN that fossil fuel production will be more expensive, and at a negative economies of scale rate (not linear). MANY fossil fuel-derived products will become more expensive. Having plenty of oil has nothing to do with this, it's about demand, and I'd think that, given this thread highlights this very point, EVs are being pushed and will be displacing more and more ICE vehicles and thus reducing fossil fuel demand.

About inflation, it's not just fossil fuels that will see that inflation. Inflation to food and housing will put increased pressures on fossil fuel demand.

In the end "price" is meaningless. It's AFFORDABILITY that matters.

I expect to see diesel fuel at $15/gal before I'm done with my diesel cars: that cost is about $7.50/gal given my cars average 50+ mpg.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #7,319  
Check the master breaker in your electrical distribution panel.

The claim, "many have only 100A service" is weak. Some older homes will be 100A but around here no 100A slum has been built in 50 years. 200A is typical minimum and most over 2000 sq ft are wired 400A.

I was looking at homes in TN and found it curious how most were 225A.

A 40A or 50A circuit makes for very good EV charging.
You're not from around here, are you? :D

Rural, where I'm at, and in hydro-electric country at that, I have 100amp service (that was put in in the early 1990s?).

LED lights. Heat pumps. Well-built homes (energy efficient). Electrical requirements aren't what they once were: we scaled up and now with these things we can scale back. Over-sizing electrical requirements is old-school...

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #7,320  

They have a strict, authoritarian control.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.