ROPS Attachment for 1970 John Deere 820 Diesel 3 Cylinder Generation II

/ ROPS Attachment for 1970 John Deere 820 Diesel 3 Cylinder Generation II #1  

TurnerJR

Tractor
John Deere 820 (3 Cylinder Diesel)
I recently purchased a used John Deere P/N AL70191 Roll Guard and intend to install it on my tractor. Unfortunately, the fellow I purchased it from cut the attachment bolts with a cutting torch. I looked the bolts up and John Deere wants over $250 each for them! I was thinking of purchasing some Grade 8 or Grade 9 bolts for this application, but I'm not sure if there is possibly something else special about these particular bolts. I can't justify in my mind spending $1,000 for four bolts! Any advice would be appreciated. Does anyone know the Grade, diameter, length, and thread pitch of these bolts?

/ ROPS Attachment for 1970 John Deere 820 Diesel 3 Cylinder Generation II #2  
ROPS uses 4 bolts per side. I am assuming you plan to use your fender bolts, two per side and only need 4 more.
The four you need are P/N 19H3472 $18.72 each. They are 5/8-11 x 9 3/4" long. I am guessing you can buy 4 5/8-11 x 10" grade8 bolts for less.
Check ebay, there is a set of 4 for $25 + $10.s5 shipping (5/8-11 x10" grade 8 bolts 4pc)

/ ROPS Attachment for 1970 John Deere 820 Diesel 3 Cylinder Generation II
Excellent information! Thank you for the bolt sizes and strengths. As best I could tell from clicking around the internet, I looked like a 5/8-11 Grade 8 bolt, but I had to be sure. Frankly, if I wanted to go for overkill, I guess I could even put a Grade 9 Bolt. I see some of those on eBay too.

/ ROPS Attachment for 1970 John Deere 820 Diesel 3 Cylinder Generation II #4  
I never seen "grade 9" listed on US bolt chart

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-22 055553.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-22 055553.png
    137 KB · Views: 78
   / ROPS Attachment for 1970 John Deere 820 Diesel 3 Cylinder Generation II #6  
ROPS uses 4 bolts per side. I am assuming you plan to use your fender bolts, two per side and only need 4 more.
The four you need are P/N 19H3472 $18.72 each. They are 5/8-11 x 9 3/4" long. I am guessing you can buy 4 5/8-11 x 10" grade8 bolts for less.
Check ebay, there is a set of 4 for $25 + $10.s5 shipping (5/8-11 x10" grade 8 bolts 4pc)
I recently acquired a 1973 Deere 820 and I'm adamant that it have ROPS before I operate it here in hilly east Tennessee. Earlier today the local Deere dealership quoted me $2,948.29 for the ROPS unit and all hardware, including a seat belt. They claim this is their cost from Deere and they will not make a dime. But that's more money than I want to put into this old tractor. Meanwhile, Iron Bull (Marshall, IN) has quoted me a price of $1,177 for their aftermarket unit -- does anyone know anything about Iron Bull?

TIA.

I wound up purchasing a used original John Deere ROPS I found on eBay for my 1970 John Deere 820 3-Cylinder tractor. I am fixing it up and painting it in preparation to put it on the tractor now. The fenders had basic U-Bolts in them, so I am planning to replace those with regular Grade 8 high strength bolts with the bottom strap. I got two of the bottom straps (1-inch thick steel) from the guy who sold me the ROPS, so I had to find another one surplus and have another one fabricated since none are available anywhere and John Deere doesn't sell them anymore. I measured and ordered 8 each 10 inch long Grade 8 bolts 3/4 inch in diameter. These are prohibitively expensive through John Deere, but I found them for a reasonable price through BoltDepot.com. They were about $120 for all eight bolts. I found a new OEM John Deere seatbelt online through eBay and even purchased the angles it attaches with, but I still have not been able to determine exactly how it attaches. As near as I can tell, it is supposed to attach under the seat bottom cushion, and there are a couple of threaded holes under there, I'm assuming for this purpose. Does anyone know for sure? I haven't been able to find a tractor of this vinitage with a ROPS that had a seat belt I could check. It would be the same as a 1020, 1520, 2020, or perhaps others. Does anyone know the way the seat belt attaches? The illustrated parts catalogue is not much help.

/ ROPS Attachment for 1970 John Deere 820 Diesel 3 Cylinder Generation II #8  
Any JD 20-55 series utility tractor Roll-Gard will interchange. JD did have a safety program to sell Roll-Gard as a add-on at a discounted price. Seat belt attaches to seat bottom

Great, I'll plan to attach it to the seat bottom. It doesn't look like it actually needs the two angles shown in the IPC to do so though. But, I have an aftermarket seat installed--better than the original John Deere see actually--and I'm sure the original Grammar seat was different and likely needed the angles.

/ ROPS Attachment for 1970 John Deere 820 Diesel 3 Cylinder Generation II #10  
I recently acquired a 1973 Deere 820 and I'm adamant that it have ROPS before I operate it here in hilly east Tennessee. Earlier today the local Deere dealership quoted me $2,948.29 for the ROPS unit and all hardware, including a seat belt. They claim this is their cost from Deere and they will not make a dime. But that's more money than I want to put into this old tractor. Meanwhile, Iron Bull (Marshall, IN) has quoted me a price of $1,177 for their aftermarket unit -- does anyone know anything about Iron Bull?

TIA.
They used to be a LOT less, but I can't remember the price I was quoted years ago. Parts use to list two versions, fixed and folding. My local dealer also said price was cost as part of a goodwill/safety program. None in stock at the time.
I was lucky to find a used one for $100, but no hardware. I already had a loader, so no problem. The seller took it off so the tractor would fit under a loft in his barn.