Truck rant. And don't know what to do.

/ Truck rant. And don't know what to do. #21  
I bought a Toyota Tundra in 2008. Far and away the best truck I've ever owned and that's saying a lot. I have owned Datsun and Nissan, Toyota, GMC and Chevy as well as Ford. Problem is Toyota doesn't make a 3/4 ton truck, which is my next purchase.

/ Truck rant. And don't know what to do. #22  
1/2 ton gas- no idea
1/2 ton diesel- Ram Ecodiesel or a GM 3L diesel.
3/4 -1 ton gas - Ford 7.3L
3/4-1 ton diesel GM Duramax or Ram Cummins

Ram has excellent powertrain warranties. Ram also has very good incentive package for farmers, ranchers.

1643370139874.png

Last edited:
   / Truck rant. And don't know what to do. #23  
Like has been said - I don't think the truck you are looking for exists. Yes, the older trucks lasted longer - everything was manual - very little electronic crap to go wrong.

I just bought a new Ram Power Wagon. It's a computer plus engine on four wheels. I spent a bundle and can only hope for the best.

Welcome to the 21st century.

/ Truck rant. And don't know what to do. #24  
Like has been said - I don't think the truck you are looking for exists. Yes, the older trucks lasted longer - everything was manual - very little electronic crap to go wrong.

I just bought a new Ram Power Wagon. It's a computer plus engine on four wheels. I spent a bundle and can only hope for the best.

Welcome to the 21st century.

I wish theyd offer the PW with the 3L Ecodiesel.
That would be a great truck. Off road capable and great fuel economy

/ Truck rant. And don't know what to do. #25  
had 2 Sierra's, an 09 and a 15. loved both. bought the first new and put 100k on it, only issue I ever had was leaky transmission cooler lines and had to replace the half shaft seals on the front diff. all under warranty, not a big deal either way for both items. the 15 got a new front diff because of bearing noise but I bought it used at 60k and I believe it was a commercial truck in Canada before I got it. maybe a road crew supervisor or something? so could be due to using 4x4 for its whole life. no other issues. I am not easy on it, have towed 7k lbs across the country and max load of boulders out of the mountain's, (could have been over GCVW) sheep over lots of mountain passes, skiing, slide in camper in the mountains and all over Utah etc. I really don't think the quality difference between the f150, the tundra and the GM trucks is very much. I do believe the 5.3 is the best engine out of the 3 and there is nothing wrong with the rest of the GM drive train either. I have 125k on the 15 and don't see any reason to upgrade.
The GM trucks also drive so nice compared to all the others. Easier to drive and more comfortable than a 4 runner, even compared to an outback. My mother in law borrowed my truck, a 6.5 bed crew cab that is just over 21 feet long and she was very intimidated at first. when she came back, she said it was easier to drive and had better visibility than her 4 runner, gets about the same gas mileage too.

Nissan is totally discontinuing the titan, so I really think that should be out. i drove fords working in the oil fields for 12 years. not impressed. my company (a very large company) switched to GM for fleet and has had a huge reduction in maintenance cost on the 1 ton diesels, of which we have hundreds of across the country.

oh yea, Ram... I don't know, they are super nice inside. not much experience with them and FCA builds mostly terrible stuff now.
I too had an 09' and the latest is the 2016.

09' I had the transmission cooler lines replaced at 130,000 miles. Upper and lower control arms, an alignment, and rear wheel seals and 150,000.

Traded it in at 175,000 last February for the 2016.

/ Truck rant. And don't know what to do. #26  
Dodge is known for 2 things, power and poor fuel economy.
I was never a Ford man due to the ugliest interiors for years. Foam looking seats looked like velour. Fast forward to 2020, I was in market for midsized pickup. I'm 6'3. Didn't fit well in GM and seats were hard, under powered v6 and poor trany shifts. Toyota didn't fit, under powered v6 and Trans didn't know what gear to be in. Ford Ranger with 2.3 turbo 4 banger 10 speed has all the power I need, interior looks and feels great, with some issues, but will tow 7500#. I know its too small for you, but from what I read. The full size pickups are beasts as well.

/ Truck rant. And don't know what to do. #27  
I own a 2017 F150. All brands can be a pain to figure out the towing specs. If you dig deep enough, you can figure it out. Keep an eye on the payload, you want a payload closer to 2000 pounds than 1500 pounds. It’s easy to eat up all your payload when towing.

The newer Fords have a 10 speed so even with 3.31 gears, the first couple of gears pull well. Mine is a 6 speed, 3.55 gears, and I bet the overall ratios work out better in a newer truck with 3.31 gears and the 10 speed.

You can capture a window sticker and post it and the door jamb sticker with the payload and I can ballpark the towing rating.
Towing capacity is listed on the door sticker.

/ Truck rant. And don't know what to do. #28  
Great topic, I am now in the market for a new 1/2 ton 4x4. I Have only owned GMC products in the past. What now turns me off to GMC is the AFM (active fuel management system) which shuts down cylinders to save fuel. Ford had the auto stop crap on their trucks but is now discontinuing it because of massive amount of complaints. I would like to get a Toyota but the dealer lots are empty and want above sticker price. Who would have thought folks would be paying more than sticker for a car or truck. All of them are electronic nightmares now, parts are outrageous and reliability is down. The average price nation wide for a used late model truck according to AA is $36,000. What a world we live in.

/ Truck rant. And don't know what to do. #29  
Hay Dude - there were rumblings that Ram would be putting a diesel in the Power Wagon. I haven't checked lately but I don't think it's reality yet.

One thing folks have to understand about the new Power Wagon. It's a completely different suspension setup from the standard Ram 2500. The PW suspension is totally designed for off road adventure. The MAX payload for my 2018 PW is 1800 pounds. It IS NOT designed to be a work truck. My PW rides like a Cadillac in all but the most severe off road conditions. Suspension is doing its job.

I remember the old Dodge Power Wagons. I worked for the Forrest Service - JR & SR summers in high school. We had PW's for fire suppression. They rode like a COB and would carry weight - like a mule. Not the case with the new Power Wagons.

/ Truck rant. And don't know what to do. #30  
Great topic, I am now in the market for a new 1/2 ton 4x4. I Have only owned GMC products in the past. What now turns me off to GMC is the AFM (active fuel management system) which shuts down cylinders to save fuel. Ford had the auto stop crap on their trucks but is now discontinuing it because of massive amount of complaints. I would like to get a Toyota but the dealer lots are empty and want above sticker price. Who would have thought folks would be paying more than sticker for a car or truck. All of them are electronic nightmares now, parts are outrageous and reliability is down. The average price nation wide for a used late model truck according to AA is $36,000. What a world we live in.
I kinda like the 21mpg on a big V8 engine. On my second truck with the AFM. No issues with it. I tend to use the cruise while out on the highway so I don't notice it anyway. And the AFM gets shut off if I'm in tow haul mode and pulling my trailer.