Equipment that's left out in the rain

/ Equipment that's left out in the rain #1  

ericm979

Tractor
Branson 3725H
My backhoe attachment won't fit into the barn with the tractor and other attachments. Lately one of the joysticks has been getting sticky and not traveling as far in one direction as it used to. Today I took the valve stack off and looked under the rubber covers on the joysticks. Water must have been leaking under the covers. The aluminum base was corroded and the steel parts rusty. A chunk of corrosion was keeping the linkage from moving it's full travel. I removed that, lubed and greased everything, and it all works much better.

I've been covering the BH's seat so it would not fill with water but until last year I left the valve stack out in the open. From the looks of things the previous owner did the same. I hope that keeping the valves covered will prevent further water intrusion.

Anyhow, long story but if you are leaving equipment with valves outside, maybe covering the valves would be a good thing.

/ Equipment that's left out in the rain #2  
CorrosionX spray has worked well form me. Lasts a year outside and many inside. Mice don’t like it also a plus.

/ Equipment that's left out in the rain #3  
I have limited covered storage. My tractor - chipper - riding mower - ATV are under cover. My ROBB - disk harrow - LPGS - FEL bucket - bottom plow are out in the orchard. Each on its own pallet. Nothing in the orchard is covered. I DO NOT need to provide safe haven for mice and chipmunks. So far, after 40+ years - this works for me.

/ Equipment that's left out in the rain #4  
During the Winter, I cover my unmounted backhoe with a tarpaulin. Each Spring when I removed the tarp, I would find the debris of "Hotel Squirrel", leaves and acorns, along the top of the boom. A couple of years ago I put a couple of dryer sheets (fabric conditioner) on the boom. Apparently the trapped heat and calm air under the peak of the tarp releases and captures whatever those sheets are impregnated with, and the squirrels do not like it.

/ Equipment that's left out in the rain #5  
Before I built my barns, I used to leave my implements outdoors. Except for sun faded paint, a bit of rust and a few chewed hoses & belts, I didn't have much trouble. I did switch to tarps with mothballs underneath eventually.

I know it isn't an option for many but indoor storage can't be beat for maintaining the value or your equipment.

/ Equipment that's left out in the rain #6  
I bought a heavy duty cover for my tractor off a guy who advertised on Craigs List. He was out of Tennessee, but we had a good email conversations, and he called with a question befor he gave me the quote. He emailed a drawing of the layout, and I showed him what I wanted changed. He had it made and shipped in a week.

I intended to build a tractor shed, but lumber price shock slowed that down. I’ll do it this spring/summer. Just wanted to see if the prices dropped.

/ Equipment that's left out in the rain #7  
Honestly - I don't think there is such a thing as a rodent proof out building. There always seems to be a point of entry. Particularly - the big machine entry door. I've tried most everything to keep mice/chipmunks out of the engine compartment and passenger compartment on my vehicles. Everything works - for a while.

What has continuously worked for me now - keep the hood of the vehicle open. My examples - my tractor and my Ram Power Wagon. Been over two years now since I've seen any "evidence" in either vehicle. The tractor is stored in a very large carport. So no snow on it - ever. The Power Wagon is stored out in the yard. So ...... I scrape/brush snow almost every time I use it. Small price to pay for no rodents.

It's fairly obvious - rodents do not like open areas.
IMG_0001.jpeg
IMG_0204.JPG

/ Equipment that's left out in the rain #8  
I have limited covered storage. My tractor - chipper - riding mower - ATV are under cover. My ROBB - disk harrow - LPGS - FEL bucket - bottom plow are out in the orchard. Each on its own pallet. Nothing in the orchard is covered. I DO NOT need to provide safe haven for mice and chipmunks. So far, after 40+ years - this works for me.
I covered a plow one year only to discover the squirrels like the tarped area for food storage. which I think attracked the mice. Only noticed it when I saw the cats were taking mice from under the tarped area. Never covered any equipment again.

/ Equipment that's left out in the rain #9  
Honestly - I don't think there is such a thing as a rodent proof out building.

This is true. Even homes aren't rodent proof either.

I don't want to hijack the OP's thread here since there are others specific to the subject. I just want to add that I manage to control rodents in my out buildings using a combination of TomCat traps and Decon baits. There are no pets or children around and the new poison formula isn't transferrable to other animals. Admittedly, the new stuff isn't as effective as the old formula but it gives the little rats something to chew on. The traps work much better.

For the first two years, I was using 6 traps and catching about 20 mice per week. This slowly dwindled down until now when I get one or two per month. It took a bit of work but I've managed to reduce the resident rodent population to the point where it's easily manageable.

/ Equipment that's left out in the rain #10  
Lumber prices dropped slightly and went back up again. Go to the NASDAQ website and you can see where lumber prices are and where they are trending. Low was August of 21.