disc harrow bearings

/ disc harrow bearings #1  

tboomz

Tractor
'59 IH 560D, '64 Farmall 140, '46 Farmall H
what species of wood is used for bearing inserts. And is the wood [lathe] cut parallel to the grain or crossgrain?

/ disc harrow bearings #2  
what species of wood is used for bearing inserts. And is the wood [lathe] cut parallel to the grain or crossgrain?
Hard Maple, AKA Sugar Maple. They used to be made here in Maine but I'm not sure if they still are.

/ disc harrow bearings
thx,
I'm down here in the south - NC, was hoping for perhaps a local wood [to me]. . dogwoods are all dead, read that wood was used for textile bobbins.
. The local red maple would be too soft. I'm looking for something I can cut off my land instead of buying. I'd heard of persimmon used, but don't have any that i'd want to cut. Not sure of white oak or hickory. Someone(s) on another site mentioned tamarack or Elm, but am not familiar with tamarack; it doesn't grow here. any suggestions welcome.

/ disc harrow bearings #4  
What?! Disc bearings made of wood? What kind of disc?

/ disc harrow bearings #5  
I think I remember old guys saying they used hickory down her in the south. I'm pretty sure it was a very dense wood. If you can post a picture of the disc set, I haven't seen one like that in years.

/ disc harrow bearings #6  
What about locust, does it grow in your area?

This place will have what ever kind of wood you will need if you decide to buy some.

Contact Us - Keim Lumber​

https://www.keimlumber.com › contact-us

Main Store: 330-893-2251 (phone) 330-893-3325 (fax). Millwork Specialty Sales: 866-872-0500 (toll free). Contractor Sales: 866-877-1107 (toll free)

/ disc harrow bearings #7  
Old baseball bats are another good source that's worked well for me.

/ disc harrow bearings #8  
My cultipacker had wood bearings when i bought it but they were broke up . I replaced with real greasable ones, I think agrisupply sells wood ones . Not sure if they will fit a disk

/ disc harrow bearings #9  
Around here - black locust - is our hardest wood. Not a native wood but often planted at homestead sites. Cut and dried - hard as iron.

/ disc harrow bearings #10