Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows #161  
If all that was on their website they wouldn't have that problem ;) If it works when selling custom configured $80,000 automobiles surely they can figure out how to do it for a tractor and a land plane.
Manufacturers can afford the software but, at the dealership level, live inventory software, is extremely expensive.

It would be great if all tractor dealers had live inventory, like automotive dealerships, but I can’t expect it from the tractor market.

Mike

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows #162  
The other side of the coin is the shopper that emails or messages the dealer with this question. Can you send me the prices of all the tractors you have to offer in the 20 to 70 hp range with prices of all the options and also prices of all the implements available for the tractors. Thanks so much your future customer. You send a message back with your phone number and request they call you so you can discuss their needs and narrow the search down to something reasonable. No response from them except for the negative review they leave because no one responded to them.
And this scenario happens frequently?? Seems unlikely. Nobody I know operates that randomly. But maybe you have a different experience...

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows #163  
Our Mom and Pop Kubota dealership had it's own web page software that was not flashy but decent. It gave pretty good info on new and used inventory. Then they went to Kubota Corporate software. Any guesses how it was different? Used inventory disappeared, and most of the links went directly to the corporate web page.

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows #164  
The other side of the coin is the shopper that emails or messages the dealer with this question. Can you send me the prices of all the tractors you have to offer in the 20 to 70 hp range with prices of all the options and also prices of all the implements available for the tractors. Thanks so much your future customer. You send a message back with your phone number and request they call you so you can discuss their needs and narrow the search down to something reasonable. No response from them except for the negative review they leave because no one responded to them.
Most of my online shopping is at night. When I was tractor and truck shopping, I often would write specific questions about something I saw on my website. Yet it also wasn't uncommon to get a reply similar to what I highlighted in your comment above. Do they even read my email or is that a generic reply, like trying to get tech support from Dell?
By the time that I start talking to somebody about buying I'm relatively sure what I am looking for and don't need/want some salesman trying to tell me differently... all too often it's because he doesn't have what I want and is trying to push me into what is on the lot. 👎
"I'm looking for a 3/4 ton, regular cab pickup with a standard shift" (Back when they really were available) He said "I have just what you're looking for", and took me out back to show me an extended cab Sierra 1500 with an automatic transmission.

Price is very important to me. I don't even like going into a convenience store and buying something if I don't know how much it's going to cost. When I was truck shopping back in 2015 I wrote a dealer asking about a Tacoma they had advertised. I got back the standard "Call and I can figure out what you are looking for", as well as several followup phone calls. I still occasionally get calls or emails from them... and am still waiting to hear the price of the truck I was asking about.

After I bought my used Kubota and got it home there were a few questions I should have asked. I wrote the salesman an email;

1) What if any service was done after it was taken in trade?
2)The block heater doesn't work. How easy is it to swap that out?

I had about 3 or 4 other questions which I probably should have asked before I bought it; but didn't think about them until after I started running the machine. I felt that na email was probably less intrusive than a phone call, and there was probably somebody more qualified than the sales man to answer some of them. In lieu of the answers I needed though, two weeks later I got a $50 gift card in the mail which I could redeem in person only. They are 200 miles away.

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows
I have spent a year periodically going to a manufacturer's website and going through the "Build Your Own" process to see what features I could get and what it would cost me... and then actually pulled the trigger on the purchase. Not sure about all of you, but most of my machinery purchases are discretionary. If it is something I have to have right now, I rent it. That's much cheaper than making a quick purchase decision which I later regret. So, I don't have to have that new tractor or UTV or truck, I want it. So, for me, a major part of the process is getting the purchase exactly right for me. I'd rather have exactly what I want with all the options I want and none of the options I don't see any point paying for. Special ordering and paying retail up front is cheaper than settling for something and doing after market add-ons after being irritated long enough about something I wanted but didn't get.
It's been two years for me. A lot of people come on here everyday posting the same kind of threads over and over and over again asking the same kind of questions. "What is your opinion about X brand tractor versus X brand tractor" or "what do you think would work best for my property" or what's your opinion about such and such model tractor. They are all looking for a quick, easy way/short cut to figure out what to buy but there is none. They don't realize how much work and time it takes to learn about this stuff and you're not going to learn it overnight. I feel like telling them they need an education not someone's opinion.

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows
Manufacturers can afford the software but, at the dealership level, live inventory software, is extremely expensive.

It would be great if all tractor dealers had live inventory, like automotive dealerships, but I can’t expect it from the tractor market.

Mike
Why can't they just use tractorhouse?

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows #167  
People do come on here looking for opinions and yes they do tend to be the same thing repeating. I try and contribute and telling them to do a search isn’t always helpful. I think most people are smart enough to read the answers and learn from them.

As far as dealers getting what they perceive as stupid emails, isn’t it their job to answer stupid questions.

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows #168  
An equipment dealer, especially for a newbie like me, is not a transactional sale. It is a relationship which will see me coming back for service, for advice, to buy attachments, etc.

If it is to be a relationship, we need to have a method of communication that works for us. I prefer email when possible, and that's not unreasonable in this day and age.

If the dealer isn't willing to acknowledge (within reason) how I prefer to communicate, why should I expect they will take the time to understand my needs? Now or later.

Of course, some people really aren't good with email and they may be great guys. If I have reason to believe that's the case, I'm happy to make an exception. But it is a bit of an imposition, so it needs to be something different than "we can't be bothered with email".

Finally, I expect the dealer's response to an unsolicited email probably reflects what they view as the chances of forming a relationship. So my emails when I was buying a tractor a few years ago gave a sentence of context, showing I was local and what type of land/needs I (thought I) had. Then questions which I think showed I was serious. I think there were 2 local dealers who never replied; I didn't follow up.

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows #169  
People do come on here looking for opinions and yes they do tend to be the same thing repeating. I try and contribute and telling them to do a search isn’t always helpful. I think most people are smart enough to read the answers and learn from them.

As far as dealers getting what they perceive as stupid emails, isn’t it their job to answer stupid questions.
I lurked for months before posting for the first time, successfully searching through threads to find answers. The threads here greatly influenced my approach for selecting my new tractor. When I couldn't find an answer regarding the injection pump on my MF1250, I posted and got the answers I needed almost immediately. This is a great forum. Some of the best answers to those repeat questions are those which someone already gave. Often multiple times.

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows #170  
Most of my online shopping is at night. When I was tractor and truck shopping, I often would write specific questions about something I saw on my website. Yet it also wasn't uncommon to get a reply similar to what I highlighted in your comment above. Do they even read my email or is that a generic reply, like trying to get tech support from Dell?
By the time that I start talking to somebody about buying I'm relatively sure what I am looking for and don't need/want some salesman trying to tell me differently... all too often it's because he doesn't have what I want and is trying to push me into what is on the lot. 👎
"I'm looking for a 3/4 ton, regular cab pickup with a standard shift" (Back when they really were available) He said "I have just what you're looking for", and took me out back to show me an extended cab Sierra 1500 with an automatic transmission.

Price is very important to me. I don't even like going into a convenience store and buying something if I don't know how much it's going to cost. When I was truck shopping back in 2015 I wrote a dealer asking about a Tacoma they had advertised. I got back the standard "Call and I can figure out what you are looking for", as well as several followup phone calls. I still occasionally get calls or emails from them... and am still waiting to hear the price of the truck I was asking about.

After I bought my used Kubota and got it home there were a few questions I should have asked. I wrote the salesman an email;

1) What if any service was done after it was taken in trade?
2)The block heater doesn't work. How easy is it to swap that out?

I had about 3 or 4 other questions which I probably should have asked before I bought it; but didn't think about them until after I started running the machine. I felt that na email was probably less intrusive than a phone call, and there was probably somebody more qualified than the sales man to answer some of them. In lieu of the answers I needed though, two weeks later I got a $50 gift card in the mail which I could redeem in person only. They are 200 miles away.
Jstpssng, when I'm truck shopping in person, I won't even give them my name/number any longer. If they won't answer my questions directly, are invasive, or even ASSURE ME THEY WON'T BE CALLING, I know that won't be the dealer for me. When I was shopping for my current truck, I explained very carefully to a salesman at our Toyota Dealership what I wanted. When I had succumbed and given him my business card as he was going to call another dealer to see if they had it in stock, he did exactly what I specified I did NOT want done... put me in the database and his sales manager started calling me every day to try to get me to come back in to look at something different. I blocked their numbers and found a Ford that was exactly what I wanted.

My problem with tractor dealers has been different. Too many never call back. As Mahindra dealers have closed, it is now a 240 mile round trip to my dealer, but that dealer has been very responsive, ships stuff quickly, and receives large items (curved glass door that had been broken in a high wind) and lets me pick them up when freight is excessive. We have an excellent JD dealer, but one of his locations is 40 miles away and the other is 60 miles. I can't just take a half day off to drop in to ask a question that would take a few seconds via email. I do go over when I'm looking for odd items and they just let me poke around in their rows and piles of old stuff out back.