Got to love developments in rural areas

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #1  

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
I drive a road home generally after work a lot times (right around here you cross into a different county). The other day, on this road, signs all over the road stating "Save Conrad Road, STOP the development". Couldn't figure out what the deal was.

Then in yesterdays paper, found it...

Funny thing, what the paper doesn't tell you is all the McMansions with 5 acres built 3 or 4 years ago parked off the same road. I just find it funny people spend at least 700k on homes with 5 acres in a rural area and now are fighting more homes going up around them. I get it, but a part of me thinks "tough titties".

THIS is why we went in the hole and bought our land. I expect down the road that people may build across our rural road, and God knows how may houses could be built on that land, BUT...ain't no one building in front or in back of our house LOL

Coming from Lewisville, this smaller house went up at the beginning of Conrad road. I can't imagine why ANONE would buy a house with the height difference of ground no more than 20' in front of your home (it's like 5' wide flat in front of the house and then a hill...).

H.png

Last edited:
   / Got to love developments in rural areas #2  
The people that move to the country and after 18 months are the loudest voices at any meeting are the most fun. SMH, if I could afford my own island...

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #3  
This has always been the way.
Those who destroy the countryside to build their homes to leave the city are always the ones who cry loudest when the next person does the same thing to what they see as theirs.

It is funny, but should not be ridiculed as with 61 new homes come hundreds more homes, fast food restaurants, gas stations, department stores,big schools, crime, traffic, etc. It cannot be stopped. That is what is sad.

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #4  
I find stuff like this fascinating. Especially how things have been playing out in my neighborhood. Within the last few years, houses have started going for crazy money: 45646 Superior Rd, Houghton, MI 49931 | Zillow

That may not seem like too crazy of a price, but I can assure you that for this area 3 years ago, it would have been an absolutely apeshit bonkers price. And he'll probably get that price too- if for the only reason being that if you want a newish house on some land close to town, he's got the ONLY offering out there right now.

All those people who built 3-4 years ago are probably also sitting on some insane amounts of equity right now. And a supply of cheap homes nearby sounds like a threat to that.

Personally, I'd kind of welcome a big development in my area. Would love to see the tax base increase for better funding for roads (can I please get at least a tiny strip of a shoulder to ride my bike on?) and population density to bring things like water, sewer, and natural gas in. But I can afford to forego the NIMBYism, my backyard is literally locked in with a conservation easement on ~400 acres that will never be developed.

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #7  
Everything immediately around me either:

---- Floods, potentially to several feet deep. Roads flood for weeks at a time.
---- Is sloped too severe to build on.

There could be building sites a mile or more away, but I don't see how I will ever have immediate neighbors.

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #8  
Pilot Mountain in the back ground of the video... drive past that all too often off Hwy52.

The plot next door, 0.5 acre is for sale at $650k, just saying. As for those that complain, should have bought the land before the developer!!!

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #9  
My little piece of the planet is somewhat rural, with houses on 2-10 acres. I bought the building lot next to me (3.5 acres) years ago for a buffer zone.
There was a house built about 15 years ago, and it created a legal battle over setbacks and "obstructing views" involving another homeowner. Nothing else can really change property wise in my area, which suits me fine.

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #10  
I moved to our little town in 2004. Population, 7000. Today, population 19000 and growing. I feel your pain. I left suburbia because this was what I wanted. Suburbia moved to me. A lot of beautiful, wooded land got flattened for what is now a bedroom community that's overtaxed and NONE of the infrastructure is sufficient anymore. We have three 2-lane roads, all of which cross railroad tracks with BAD crossings, and no plans to widen them or overpass the rails that also have increased rail traffic at much higher speeds. My morning commute when I moved out here was about 25 minutes to the office. It's now 1 hour 45 minutes on a good day when no idiots have crashed because they could't put the damn cell phone down after dropping off their little prince or princess at school because the school bus is more than 2 years old or their little Johnny or Penny would have to deal with REAL social experiences instead of non-binary privilege. Don't get me started.