6 Foot Howse, Is It Worth it?!

/ 6 Foot Howse, Is It Worth it?! #1  

wirlybird

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3038 E, John Deere 3032E, John Deere 756, John Deere X585, John Deere 332
Hi all,

Looking at this 6 foot Howse cutter, I don't know what model.
Original owner says it worked fine and they did "use" it but hasn't been used in a year or two since no longer needed it.
Owner is selling tractor and all equipment.
Asking $500 for the cutter.
Not looking for anything heavy duty. Just looking for an inexpensive 6 footer to see how it works out for me before spending on a "good" one!

Thanks for any thoughts and possibly a model name/number!

1.png

/ 6 Foot Howse, Is It Worth it?! #2  
If nothing else there's a $80 wheel and a $200 PTO shaft on it. I'd offer $400 for it but I'd probably also give them 5 if they were set hard. I would check the gear box though as it has seen some abuse as evidenced by the damage to the sheet metal ring of power.

/ 6 Foot Howse, Is It Worth it?! #3  
Deck looks good...and that's a real plus
I'd suggest 2 things:
1) Check the oil in the gearbox...if it's milky looking, might be water in there. That doesn't mean to walk by...but you might need to change it
2) Ask the seller to do a demo...see how well it works on a field

You have 2 Deeres; a John Deere 3038 E, John Deere 3032E.
A 6' cutter might be too much for those tractors' PTO HP...

/ 6 Foot Howse, Is It Worth it?!
If nothing else there's a $80 wheel and a $200 PTO shaft on it. I'd offer $400 for it but I'd probably also give them 5 if they were set hard. I would check the gear box though as it has seen some abuse as evidenced by the damage to the sheet metal ring of power.
Yea, he is able to lift it so I can check underneath and spin stuff.
He also has a "The Leinback Line" auger with three sizes for $500 so I may try to bargain for both. Auger is in excellent shape.

/ 6 Foot Howse, Is It Worth it?!
Deck looks good...and that's a real plus
I'd suggest 2 things:
Check the oil in the gearbox...if it's milky looking, might be water in there
Ask the seller to do a demo...see how well it works on a field

You have 2 Deeres; a John Deere 3038 E, John Deere 3032E.
A 6' cutter might be too much for those tractors' PTO HP...
"You have 2 Deeres; a John Deere 3038 E, John Deere 3032E.
A 6' cutter might be too much for those tractors' PTO HP.."

That is why I'd like to find a more inexpensive, lighter duty cutter to try it out and see how it does on the Deere's.
It would be used for general open area field mowing.

/ 6 Foot Howse, Is It Worth it?! #6  
"You have 2 Deeres; a John Deere 3038 E, John Deere 3032E.
A 6' cutter might be too much for those tractors' PTO HP.."

That is why I'd like to find a more inexpensive, lighter duty cutter to try it out and see how it does on the Deere's.
It would be used for general open area field mowing.
Then buy it and try it...if the area you're mowing is mostly grass, maybe it'll work for you.
If it doesn't, back on Craigslist it goes

If your tractors don't have FELs, you might need to put weight (suitcase weights) on the front. You'll know this as soon as you try to raise the cutter. It weighs about 770 pounds, if it's the light duty model. Also, turning sharply with the cutter raised must be done slowly...that's a lot of weight out back and you don't want the tail wagging the dog

/ 6 Foot Howse, Is It Worth it?! #7  
I have the Howes your looking at. Used it hard for 3 mowing seasons. It worked fine however the side frame is pretty flimsy. I caved both sides in mowing along fence lines. It still cuts great and I have the material to repair it but just haven't had the initiative to do it.

/ 6 Foot Howse, Is It Worth it?! #8  
i also have one of those and pull it with a 45hp tractor but i would not think twice about pulling it with a 37 hp tractor.

/ 6 Foot Howse, Is It Worth it?! #9  
I have the Howes your looking at. Used it hard for 3 mowing seasons. It worked fine however the side frame is pretty flimsy. I caved both sides in mowing along fence lines. It still cuts great and I have the material to repair it but just haven't had the initiative to do it.
According to TractorData.com, your Kubota has 32.5 PTO HP
That's probably more then the OP's 3032E and 3038E has...a 5' cutter would likely be a better fit. That said, for $500, he should consider buying it and seeing how it works out for him. Might just do a great job, if just field grass...