How often should you grease a tractor for light duty?

/ How often should you grease a tractor for light duty? #1  

Reddogs

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 790 / Kubota L3301
I never greased my old tractor except when I changed the oil which I think I did several times in twenty years, so I was shocked when I saw in a video that you need to grease every 10 hours of use. What is a more normal level for greasing a tractor under light conditions or usage?

/ How often should you grease a tractor for light duty? #2  
Actually far fewer "use" hours when you don't use it very often. I'm betting the grease you're using actually dries out over time and if it's clay based will actually do more harm than good. If it's been more than two weeks I like to just look at a few fittings and make sure they're "soft" and don't have a crust forming, if it's been more than a month and I plan to do meaningful work I'll probably re grease it. And if it's outside, every time it rains I'll regrease before use usually not a full couple pumps but a pump just to make sure water wasn't captured in the greased point.

/ How often should you grease a tractor for light duty? #4  
I grease before every day that i will be using it a lot so yes every 10h especially the front end … the FEL i will if i use it a lot that day but if i don’t then i won’t …

/ How often should you grease a tractor for light duty?
Actually far fewer "use" hours when you don't use it very often. I'm betting the grease you're using actually dries out over time and if it's clay based will actually do more harm than good. If it's been more than two weeks I like to just look at a few fittings and make sure they're "soft" and don't have a crust forming, if it's been more than a month and I plan to do meaningful work I'll probably re grease it. And if it's outside, every time it rains I'll regrease before use usually not a full couple pumps but a pump just to make sure water wasn't captured in the greased point.
Well, I am taking it out every day, so was looking up the videos on what needs to be greased, and I am going to have to look at my older tractor as there are areas such as the steering, transmission, and backhoe I never even thought about...

/ How often should you grease a tractor for light duty? #6  
I grease every time that I fuel, putting 4.5 gallons in from a 5 gallon can.
So about every 9 hours.

/ How often should you grease a tractor for light duty? #7  
If you don't like greasing equipment get a cordless grease gun it will cut your pm greasing by 75% helps open clogged grease fittings I use 3-5%molly for loader pins, and I guarantee you'll wonder why you didn't get one before imho.

Last edited:
   / How often should you grease a tractor for light duty? #8  
My Kubota specs greasing every 50h, and 10h for the loader. I generally don't consider non loader use hours into the 10 hours, so I estimate loader use.
I agree with the post about electric grease guns. There's no going back after using one. My ZD mowers have a ton of grease points (16?) and I zip through them with a DeWalt and LockNLube fitting.

/ How often should you grease a tractor for light duty? #9  
If you don't like greasing equipment get a cordless grease gun it will cut your pm greasing by 75% helps open clogged grease fittings I use 3-5%molly for loader pins, and I guarantee you'll wonder why you didn't get one before imho.

i am wondering with a battery grease gun can you tell when the “chamber” is filled so you don’t pop the seal ??

/ How often should you grease a tractor for light duty? #10  
+1 on the battery powered grease gun. I cheaper out and bought a new manual one and I didn’t even do the whole tractor once before my hands were on fire. I have issues with my hands. There’s a lotta fittings in the backhoe. I ordered the Dewalt gun with a lock n lube. I honestly felt stupid when I first used it because I bought a manual one. That thing is awesome!