Toddler drowns in post hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Toddler drowns in post hole. #1  

jmc

Elite Member
Tractor
Ford 1920 4x4 (traded in on Kubota). Case 480F TLB w/4 in 1 bucket, 4x4. Gehl CTL60 tracked loader, Kubota L4330 GST

Toddler must have fallen headfirst into a post hole with standing water. I've heard that toddlers have drowned in home toilets the same way.

/ Toddler drowns in post hole. #2  
There's no such thing as toddler safe area,eyes on is required. Now,stop posting depressing stuff unless you have a message that can't be conveyed without it.

/ Toddler drowns in post hole. #3  
jaxs - I've got to take exception to your instant post. I'm new to farms (and post holes), and don't have any experience with toddlers. I never would have guessed a toddler could drown in a post hole. I believe jmc's post is worthy as a stand alone. I'm glad he posted.
Many on this forum come from farming or industrial backgrounds - exposed to safety lessons from fathers, co-workers, employers. Not the case with me. Glad for any lesson to help keep my eyes open, my brain working and my limbs attached.

/ Toddler drowns in post hole. #4  
Thanks for posting this, it is a good reminder. We had a friend lose a toddler this way-could have happened to anyone

/ Toddler drowns in post hole.
There's no such thing as toddler safe area,eyes on is required. Now,stop posting depressing stuff unless you have a message that can't be conveyed without it.

That must be why there's not many farm accidents- everyone knows the all risks; everybody can anticipate the all risks...

Highschool acquaintance's kid broke his neck on an ATV. Drawstring on his hoodie caught on a limb as he was flying past it.

/ Toddler drowns in post hole. #6  
Drawstring on his hoodie caught
A common cause of accidents and deaths in the early days of snowsledding was people getting their scarf caught in the recoil or outbound clutch while the engine was running. My brother even had it happen but it was just an 8HP Kohler 4 stroke and it stalled the engine.

I don't have kids around but still took the time to read your original post. 👍

There've been a lot of farm kids killed or maimed over the years, a common cause was horsing around on the tractor popping "wheelies" and having it go over backwards. Or maybe that was just a scare tactic they used in tractor safety classes back in the '70s? :confused:

/ Toddler drowns in post hole. #7  
5 gallon buckets with liquid have caused some toddler drownings as well. I remember a couple instances in the same year where people were washing their cars and a child fell head first into a bucket and drown right on the other side of the car from the adult.

I think that's what started the warnings being posted on buckets.

All very sad. Have to keep an eye on children. Keep those parents in your thoughts. No one expects to have a child drown in a post hole.

/ Toddler drowns in post hole. #9  
I realize the same people who ask questions like "my tractor refuses to start,please tell me why" and "the battery on my tractor lost power,why?" also believe they can be warned of all dangers that can harm toddlers but they are foolish on both counts. If you think I'm calus and abrupt,you are lucky not being this neighbor. A retired couple bought a farm near me and as i was passing one day Grandpaw was giving his grandkids a ride while brush hogging. I stopped him and told him if he didn't kill that tractor and walk those kids to the house,I was going to do it for him and if I ever saw kids on the tractor agin while towing the mower I would call CPS and county sheriff.

/ Toddler drowns in post hole. #10  
How terrible! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.