Cool Nature Photos

/ Cool Nature Photos #1,461  
More steel mills in Burns Harbor to the left.

4246139D-CE80-4BB6-B137-1533F1421B13.jpeg

/ Cool Nature Photos #1,462  
20130119_134728.jpg
20130119_134223.jpg
20130119_134211.jpg
20130119_135840.jpg
20130119_135928.jpg

These were shot at least 10 years ago at Land Between the Lakes. The bison are protected but the elk not so much, yummy. I have not yet had the privilege of being drawn for a tag but I have been the lucky recipient of some jerky from one, pretty tasty. These guys (elk) are protected while on site, but if one happens to go on walkabout off the res provided you have a tag...

/ Cool Nature Photos #1,464  
I've read about the elk in Kentucky, but I didn't know there where Bison there too.

/ Cool Nature Photos #1,465  
I've read about the elk in Kentucky, but I didn't know there where Bison there too.
Elk & Bison Prairie – Land Between the Lakes

Historically they were hunted nearly to extinction as many know and just reintroduced twenty or so years ago here in the Bluegrass. There are plenty of names that abound through out Kentucky referencing these two animals like Buffalo Trace Distillery or Elk Creek( hamlet in Spencer Co.)and Buffalo KY. All that aside there will be one @$$ clown out there that will claim there are no Buffalo in Kentucky, unfortunately they are correct in splitting the hair as it were and these are Bison. ;)

/ Cool Nature Photos #1,468  

Historically they were hunted nearly to extinction as many know and just reintroduced twenty or so years ago here in the Bluegrass. There are plenty of names that abound through out Kentucky referencing these two animals like Buffalo Trace Distillery or Elk Creek( hamlet in Spencer Co.)and Buffalo KY. All that aside there will be one @$$ clown out there that will claim there are no Buffalo in Kentucky, unfortunately they are correct in splitting the hair as it were and these are Bison. ;)
I wouldn't say bison have been 'reintroduced' to Kentucky. They're in enclosures. They aren't allowed to roam, unlike the elk, which even have a hunting season.

When I was a kid there was a buffalo (bison) farm about 3 miles west of here in South Bend, IN, and another one about 15 miles to the north of us in Michigan. They raised them for meat. There's still a bison farm about 50 miles to our southwest. I'm sure there are probably bison in just about every state. But they don't run free anywhere east of the Mississippi river as far as I know.

/ Cool Nature Photos #1,470  

"Reintroduced" implies an effort to establish a natural population, as was done very successfully with turkeys and with elk. There are no wild buffalo or bison in Kentucky. There are technically giraffes and kangaroos in Kentucky as well.