Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #41  
I miss eating the difference between bulls and steers.
The Big Texan in Amarillo...the best I have ever eaten, and you get a big plate full!

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #42  
You can’t grow it in east Texas? I grow it in New Mexico. Is it too hot or humid where you are?
It doesn't like the heat. I have a friend who is a PhD in Bio...from SD, but lives down by Austin. He can grow a lot of stuff, but Rhubarb just doesn't work here. I've tried 3 times. Mom has a strain taken from her mom. We have grown it in other places up north, but it will not take here.

Most of NM is in zone 7 (or less). Only the panhandle of TX is zone 7. Most of the state is 8-9.

If you have extra, hook a brother up!

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #43  
Not a food but Fizzies. A fruit flavored alka selser type tab we put in a glass of water. Closest we got soda pop.

Awful stuff...
LoL...We used to have contests to see who could keep one of those Fizzie tabs in their mouths the longest...!

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #44  
Jiffy pop...

...hang a unopened jiffy pop on the wall for a redneck fire alarm...!

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #45  
Pickled Pigs Feet
Ployes
Cretons
Peanutbutter and fluffernutter sandwitches

strawberries and creme

Mailhot's out of Lewiston makes a passable cretons, but it's not like there are many options if you don't make your own.

As for a Fluffernutter, I don't understand it, but my children have no interest in even trying one. 🤷‍♂️

A lot of stuff in this thread I'm realizing I've not had in years, though some of that's absolutely on purpose. I love pickled eggs, but I don't pickle, and finding ones that don't have the texture of rubber seems impossible these days. I love pickled sausage, and thankfully that's easier to find in quality and quantity. I ate a lot of mayonnaise sandwiches, and that's because my great-grandmother did, and I adored her. I still eat them on occasion.

Oh, mincemeat pies; also, I genuinely like rhubarb pie.

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #46  
Homemade noodles. Gramma made her own and made chicken and noodle ‘stuff’ with them. It was like pasta (but her noodles) with chicken pieces on it. Emmmmm!

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #47  
whole smelt.
I love smelt, you are not saying with the guts right ? but with the head ? we split them open and cut the head and that it, fried in a pan and I eat the whole thing just like if id be a fries.

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today
When I hunted with Dad when I was young, he always had a bag with saltines, potted meat, sardines in mustard sauce and beans and franks. The good ol' days.

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #50  
Saltines with butter and a slice of cheddar or Colby jack the longer in the day they'd sit in the old fishing boat with gramps the better they got imo.
Or peanut butter, butter, and pepperoni sandwiches.