Advice, rain down exhaust

/ Advice, rain down exhaust #1  

NorthCountryJimmy

Tractor
Deere 950
I have a deere 950 with a 3 cyl. yanmar diesel. A big storm blew through and caught the tractor outside with the pipe off the exhaust. Not sure how much rain got into the exhaust but a ball jar resting on a log nearby had about 3" of water in it. What should I do?

/ Advice, rain down exhaust #2  
aaaaaaw, start it up to clear it out...

SR

/ Advice, rain down exhaust #3  
Pull the injectors, pour a little oil in each cylinder, crank for a minute. Reinstall injectors proceed as normal, if you have trouble starting, follow the purge procedure in your manual.

Above is what I would do. What you don't want is a cylinder full of water to hydro lock and bend a rod. I think you could accomplish the same by letting it sit for a few days for the water to drain into the pan.

I have had them caught in the rain, and never got any noticeable water out, and didn't get a lot in the oil, don't know why.

Best,

ed

/ Advice, rain down exhaust #4  
Turn the engine over by hand. If you can do several revolutions, then try to start it. Other possibility is there's a drain hole in the muffler. Waiting might allow rust to seize the engine. If it starts, run it till the muffler is hot to dry it.

/ Advice, rain down exhaust #5  
Turn the engine over by hand. If you can do several revolutions, then try to start it. Other possibility is there's a drain hole in the muffler. Waiting might allow rust to seize the engine. If it starts, run it till the muffler is hot to dry it.
That's what I would do. Have done..

/ Advice, rain down exhaust #6  
Not bad guidance, it won't seize in a few days, I promise.

ed

/ Advice, rain down exhaust #7  
Whatever you do,don't roll engine with starter until injectors are removed. Don't take shortcuts or try lazy man approach in hoping water drain's into crankcase or dry's. Remove injectors as soon as you can get to it then use starter to blow water from cylinders. After injectors are reinstalled, if it doesn't start you might have to purge injector lines.

/ Advice, rain down exhaust #8  
aaaaaaw, start it up to clear it out...

SR
Yes, it's not his tractor and it might be ok.
I don't see how 3" of rain down the muffler hole can get much water past the exhaust valves.
/edit - but then it's not my tractor either

Last edited:
   / Advice, rain down exhaust #9  
Whatever you do,don't roll engine with starter until injectors are removed. Don't take shortcuts or try lazy man approach in hoping water drain's into crankcase or dry's. Remove injectors as soon as you can get to it then use starter to blow water from cylinders. After injectors are reinstalled, if it doesn't start you might have to purge injector lines.
Good advice, I am just curious, did you read post #3?

/ Advice, rain down exhaust #10  
Good advice, I am just curious, did you read post #3?
I read all replies but I don't believe you are curious to know if I read #3. What i think you are actually curious about is why I posted almost the same advice so here's the answer. Bad advice is and might again be posted so the best I can do is repeat what i believe is best for op. Satisfy your curiosity?