How would you fall this?

/ How would you fall this?
My photo analysis was way off.
View attachment 749124
The top did not look 50' high and looked to me like I could drive near the end and whittle it down with my pole saw.
/edit - but based on counting pixels that would mean the log just over the "path" is about 7' in diameter.

So - yeah - to get the whole tree in frame I had to use the macro lens on the iPhone so it's a bit distorted I think. And - the tree is about 2.5 - 3' over the path there... your pixel math is off becasue the bottom line is "high" because I didn't mow the 5-6' tall grass down - so you are to the top of the grass - not the ground. If the limb infront of the target you see wasn't there - I could drive under this with the L4760 - and not be remotely close to the trunk. And while it looks like the trunk is supported somewhat by the links (because they are in the grass) - they are just barely touching the ground - the tree is held here by the trunk on the berm and the massive sized root ball still attached to the earth.

I'll post more pics when I get back down there to assess a bit more. We have a whole house generator going in later this week - so the priority is moving things in the basement where the panel is and doing some prep work where the generator will be located before install day Thursday.

That said - I do like the one idea above... notch less that 1/4 thickness of the trunk underneath at the berm. Then make a cut on the top maybe 4-6" in... and walk away - wait a few days - come back - see how much it opened up - make another little nibble - walk away - wait a few days... etc... AND that approach actually works in my schedule for this week!

Also a few guys were suggesting nibbing at the top with a pole saw... I think I might be able to hid behind some MASSIVE trees and pole saw at the top - so if anything went sideways - all that would be at risk would be the pole saw itself - and i can live with that.

/ How would you fall this? #52  
I'd probably go with a 100ft of 6" wide semi sling strap and a heavy truck to pull with.
Tie on about 2/3 of the way up the tree and pull on it on a 90 degree angle driving down the existing path. Take it super slow the first couple pulls to see what it does, gradually increase the pulls until it twisted and laid flat on the ground. Then start digging out the rootball if needed.

I'd probably go with a 100ft of 6" wide semi sling strap and a heavy truck to pull with.
Tie on about 2/3 of the way up the tree and pull on it on a 90 degree angle driving down the existing path. Take it super slow the first couple pulls to see what it does, gradually increase the pulls until it twisted and laid flat on the ground. Then start digging out the rootball if needed.
No access with a truck - end of field in swampy area.

/ How would you fall this? #54  
Hire a pro!

/ How would you fall this? #55  
I'm retired, I'd take my time.
First of all - did you trim everything on the upside? Or did it grow that way.
I'd start at the top with chainsaw and pole saw. Cut a bunch away, haul it off, repeat. Keeping a clear path in case it moves. Trimming the branches back to clear 5' or so of stem at a time, then cutting off that part. And might put a good stout rope "down trunk" so if it stands up it would help cutting down more pieces.

If it "stands up" during the process I could easily get out of the way, then cut it at the base and have a rope to assist.

Take lots of picture or videos please.
I second this, this the way I would do it. Maybe it’s a retired thing, or experience.

/ How would you fall this? #56  
First fill in the hole behind the root ball so the tree won't stand back up.
Then cut on the berm so the top falls to the ground.

/ How would you fall this? #57  
I would say you have enough opinions here to make you weary, confused, or emboldened.

You have a decent size tractor. I don't know how agile you are, nor savvy. By all means any ground attack you make requires a Clear and clean escape route. You would want to practice the escape. I would probably cripple sections of the thing and then pull the crippled piece off with a your tractor on a long line. Somewhere in the process you will encounter some "knee knocking situations" that might encourage you to engage someone who is better suited to mess with this. Discretion is the better part of valor and you want to be able to sit at the dinner table without any injuries.

Stumps, and root balls are two different animals. Ya gotta be able to study and plan for the expected and the unexpected. I fell timber in the PNW for decades on flat ground like this and horrible broke up steepash ground. I was pretty good at it. Went home every night. If you have doubts, hire it out.

@hslogger - I have doubts every tree I drop - probably why I have managed to not get hurt. I have ideas on this one - I just get extra wary anytime something isn't "clear cut" because of how much stored energy these things can have. And I always have a plan and a second plan for the third plan.
Case in point - we had a maple (maybe 18" at the base) that was right next to my wifes shed. Had a split trunk and was clearly not doing well...
Wide open space - easy hinge fall away from the shed. Ran a rope up to the top and hooked it on the tractor way out before cutting. My wife kept asking why are you doing that - you have dropped 100's of trees with no rope. I said better safe than sorry.
I cut the notch to hinge the tree over... and out of nowhere on a clear sky sunny day - the wind picked up. Not a breeze - like full on gusting. And of course it was blowing right up the field - into the tree - against my wedge cut - trying to push it over backwards into the shed... and becasue it was split - it was making progress...

Had her slowly drive the tractor away - and the split half of the tree came down where I wanted it - in the midst of a wind storm. Wind stopped - dropped the other side right on top of the first.

So - yeah - I'm always concerned cause of the insane things I have seen when people are dropping trees and not paying attention... Like an 8N chained to a tree going airborn when the trunk snapped and the rootball flicked the trunk back up like tent pole.

/ How would you fall this? #59  
View attachment 748972
This cottonwood pulled it’s rootball and leaned over. I say leaned because it’s roots and a whole lotta earth are still attached. Then about 12’ from that it’s resting (left side of pic) on a berm built as a range backstop. Then you see the rest of this up in the air still. It is not supported to any degree by the limbs. Most of them are barely making contact with the ground. its held in space like this by the rootball still attached to the earth on the side it hinged down, the weight of the earth attached to the side that came up and where the truck is resting on the berm. It’s a big green tree.
I think my plan is to clear out a spot on the back of the berm where I have lots of room to escape and work free of obstruction. Notch the underside about 8’ from the rootball. And then slowly cut from the top down towards the notch. At some point it’s gonna want to have the heavy top start to bend down to the ground and the weighted root ball snap back upright.
I don’t know that I want to limb the top as I don’t know how much pulling up the root ball is doing vs the weight of the limbs holding it down.
lotta energy stored in this mess. Anyone else have thoughts on approach?
Cost you post a picture of the root ball. Be easier to give you a better answer.

/ How would you fall this? #60  
View attachment 748972
This cottonwood pulled it’s rootball and leaned over. I say leaned because it’s roots and a whole lotta earth are still attached. Then about 12’ from that it’s resting (left side of pic) on a berm built as a range backstop. Then you see the rest of this up in the air still. It is not supported to any degree by the limbs. Most of them are barely making contact with the ground. its held in space like this by the rootball still attached to the earth on the side it hinged down, the weight of the earth attached to the side that came up and where the truck is resting on the berm. It’s a big green tree.
I think my plan is to clear out a spot on the back of the berm where I have lots of room to escape and work free of obstruction. Notch the underside about 8’ from the rootball. And then slowly cut from the top down towards the notch. At some point it’s gonna want to have the heavy top start to bend down to the ground and the weighted root ball snap back upright.
I don’t know that I want to limb the top as I don’t know how much pulling up the root ball is doing vs the weight of the limbs holding it down.
lotta energy stored in this mess. Anyone else have thoughts on approach?
I’d try a can or two at the base with a long fuse