Stihl blower spark arrestor.

/ Stihl blower spark arrestor. #1  

dodge man

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 2025R
I have a Stihl leaf blower BG 86 that is 8 years old, maybe 100 to 200 hours on it. Today it wouldn’t start. It seemed like a sudden problem, it ran fine last time, although when you go back and look at the past maybe it wasn’t running quite right. I bought a new spark plug, in tank fuel filter and air filter. No help. My gut reaction was no spark, I pulled the plug and tried to hold it near the head and sometimes got spark but not much. It’s very hard to do this while trying to pull the start chord and get good contact with the plug.

My gut reaction was wrong. After messing with the on off switch I pulled the spark arrestor and it started right up. The spark arrestor was badly plugged up. With mineral spirits, a brass brush and air it cleaned up. Reinstalled it and it’s all good. The bad part is I saw a YouTube video on this very problem but dismissed it at first because I thought the problem was sudden. The spark arrestor is about the size of a spark plug and has a fine mesh screen. I show a picture of it and where it installs in the muffler.
7E6E7AC4-9F1D-4137-9323-6B71439E07B5.jpeg
2B671578-42A0-4596-A27F-F28BAC9B78F9.jpeg
15B382C8-FDD4-44D1-AB9B-3942BF0991C2.jpeg

/ Stihl blower spark arrestor. #2  
Yep, that's the usual culpritl One forgets about the Spark Arrestor since the machine (BG86) works so well from day to day. I just saw the same thing on my FS 90 Stirhl Brush Cutter.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Stihl blower spark arrestor. #3  
Interesting information. Thanks for sharing. One more trick to keep in mind.

/ Stihl blower spark arrestor.
I’ve torn into them on Stihl chainsaws, totally different and less likely to clog. The pic above is before I cleaned it.

/ Stihl blower spark arrestor. #5  
The one on my BR430 did the same thing. It's a tiny conical screen, looks like a design that will clog easily. I use a propane torch to burn them clean.

/ Stihl blower spark arrestor. #6  
I am wondering if you can take the screen off the threaded piece and toss it and just screw it back in. I eliminated the screen on my echo trimmer, and both my chainsaws.

/ Stihl blower spark arrestor.
I’m sure you could get rid of the arrestor but I’d just as soon leave it intact even though we don’t have a lot of fires here.

/ Stihl blower spark arrestor. #8  
My buddy just went through this with his Stihl blower. I first thought his issue was the carb or filter. Nope, this was the culprit.

/ Stihl blower spark arrestor. #9  
Some dirt dobber bug likes to pack the Stihl bower exhaust port every summer. After cleaning runs fine. Think it’s over 25 years old.

/ Stihl blower spark arrestor. #10  
Not only Stihl. My 20 year old Yamaha generator wasn't running like it should. Checked the manual on plug gap and so forth and seen the spark arrestor maintenance schedule. The thing was almost plugged. Runs like it should now.