Flux Core Amps vs thickness

/ Flux Core Amps vs thickness #11  
Redneck method of testing whether you have enough welder is if you can't intentionally burn through material, the welder is too light in the pants.
Thanks for slicing through a lot of obscure theory and posting this practical test for appraising a small welder!!!

/ Flux Core Amps vs thickness #12  
I agree that you should try to buy a 220v welder.

You will probably use it more than you think, and be glad you did.

As far as welding 1/4" with a 110v welder, yeah, it can be done. If you bevel the edge, or heat the metal first, you can do it on a limited basis. But, it's more like work.

The other problem you'll have welding heavy material, is the duty cycle. It's only going to run on full power for a limited amount of time. Seems like as soon as you get enough heat in the metal to start to make a nice weld, the automatic shut down to keep from overheating kicks in. That's the other reason you want the bigger machine.

Flux core wire splattering is a bit too much for me. So, I like using the shielding gas. But, flux wire does have an advantage if you're welding outside.

/ Flux Core Amps vs thickness #13  
Since you say you've never welded before I advise you read a thread just above this one(What's happened to Shield Arc). Reading that thread should convince you Shield Arc was the undisputed guru of welding. Once you trust every word the man wrote,search Author "Shield Arc" to read advice he gave us. In addition to insight on welding in general,you will notice how important he says penetration is. After all the hoopla and dust settles from this thread,the answers to your question of 120v vs 240v welders come's down to penetration.

/ Flux Core Amps vs thickness #14  
I have never welded, but tired of bugging the neighbors, so I have pretty much decided on a 115v Flux Core welder just to fix little things that break.

How is it that something like a Century FC90 with 90 amps is advertised up to 1/4 inch and something more powerful like the Yeswelder 135 with 135 amps is only rated to 5/32?

How can less current weld thicker material?
I had that welder, started on it, and then went to stick. You could do 1/4" on it, basically crank up the feed and amps to max and go for it. At the least, you'll get there with multiple passes.

Disclosure to running this machine at max amp: make sure you're wearing comfy shoes, coz you'll be taking frequent trips to the electrical panel to flip the popped breaker...especially if it's a 15 amp breaker.

/ Flux Core Amps vs thickness #15  
Gluing metal together with molten wire fall's way short of permanently joining it. You can melt filler on 1/2" metal with a 120 volt machine but that doesn't qualify as "welding it",regardless what buds on the web claim. Very few homeowner/diy projects exceed 1/4" so if 120 volt wire welder was suffecient,there would be little to no market for Hobart Handler 190 and similar machines that are so popular. It's difficult at best for newbies without people encouraging them to start off with machines that severely limit their ability.

/ Flux Core Amps vs thickness #16  
Go with 110/220 multi voltage if you can swing it. Better machine/better components/better duty cycle/better heat. Better resale price if you decide you don't like welding & want to sell it. Ditto on at least MIG/Flux ability ... just make sure you set the polarity right if switching. You can play around with it on 110 & when needed/wanted, move up to full time 220 either with a genny or dedicated 50 Amp circuit. You'll be less frustrated & learn quicker.

Also, see if your local community college has night classes in welding. Sign-up, take the classes, see if you like it. Then check out what machines they are using & talk to folks you meet there about what they have/like/dislike.

Last edited:
   / Flux Core Amps vs thickness #17  
If money is an impediment to getting a better wirefeeder, don't overlook stick. A little steeper learning curve, BUT ... if you learn stick, jumping over to MIG/Fluxcore is a LOT easier than vice versa. I'll bet most folks (over 50 at least) learned on Lincoln buzz boxes before moving on to better welders/processes.

/ Flux Core Amps vs thickness #18  
I agree that you should try to buy a 220v welder.

You will probably use it more than you think, and be glad you did.

As far as welding 1/4" with a 110v welder, yeah, it can be done. If you bevel the edge, or heat the metal first, you can do it on a limited basis. But, it's more like work.

The other problem you'll have welding heavy material, is the duty cycle. It's only going to run on full power for a limited amount of time. Seems like as soon as you get enough heat in the metal to start to make a nice weld, the automatic shut down to keep from overheating kicks in. That's the other reason you want the bigger machine.

Flux core wire splattering is a bit too much for me. So, I like using the shielding gas. But, flux wire does have an advantage if you're welding outside.
This is a myth...(it's prudent to bevel the edges regardless of the welder IMO, no need to preheat the metal unless it's really cold) welding 1/4" mild steel is a breeze with a quality 110V welder...it generally takes two passes but if you take your time you will get decent penetration...
FWIW...I have pretzeled a couple of different fabrications with 1/4" welded with a 110V Hobart welder where there was no sign of the welds failing etc...I have crushed 1/4" angled gussets that folded like an envelope with no weld failures...

/ Flux Core Amps vs thickness #19  
Gluing metal together with molten wire fall's way short of permanently joining it. You can melt filler on 1/2" metal with a 120 volt machine but that doesn't qualify as "welding it",regardless what buds on the web claim. Very few homeowner/diy projects exceed 1/4" so if 120 volt wire welder was suffecient,there would be little to no market for Hobart Handler 190 and similar machines that are so popular. It's difficult at best for newbies without people encouraging them to start off with machines that severely limit their ability.
A 220v machine is great coz it has a higher duty cycle and you're not tripping breakers, BUT...it's a bs statement to say a homeowner doing usual diy homeowner projects can't get things done with a FC90 or whatever. If that's what you're saying, your that "bud on the web".

And btw, although we're talking flux core, but I just finished a brush forks project, and welded all of it on my dual volt stick....using the 120 in my garage, just because. Never even popped a breaker.

/ Flux Core Amps vs thickness #20  
A little bit you can learn from welders owners manual, why you keep popping your 15 amp breaker....
From Hobart Handler 140 manual...

HOBART POWER.jpg

And A little internet electrical conversion...

KVA-AMP.jpg