I jumped the gun... now what?

/ I jumped the gun... now what? #1  

sheamus

Silver Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT2035HST
So we were moving back to my wife's home province. We bought land (15 acres) and were going to build. I got a good deal on a new Bobcat CT2035HST with loader. I bought it and hauled it across the country, as it will be perfect for when we build our house. that was 18 months ago, and we are atleast another year away from building... between the cost of materials still being really high, to the long wait-list for contractors, etc.

In the mean time we are living in town, in a house we were renting while we were away. So we don't have to rush into building or buying something out of town (though we are both dying to get out of town). But my little tractor is sitting in a friends shed, and I have accumulated at total of 8 hours on it! I did add a diverter and grapple on it. Pushed some snow around this winter, but that is it. It could be 2 years before I actually need the tractor the way things are going.

With market the way it is, I could likely get what I paid for it... and then in a year or two re-buy.... thought with inflation, that could be costly too. But in a 2 year window I may be abled to root out a good used deal too.

/ I jumped the gun... now what? #2  
If it's a year i'd keep it. 2 maybe I would sell it i was sure i would not use it. Are you not maintaining the property while you are waiting to build? I had property for a couple years before i moved on to it. I wished i had a tractor...

/ I jumped the gun... now what? #3  
So we were moving back to my wife's home province. We bought land (15 acres) and were going to build. I got a good deal on a new Bobcat CT2035HST with loader. I bought it and hauled it across the country, as it will be perfect for when we build our house. that was 18 months ago, and we are atleast another year away from building... between the cost of materials still being really high, to the long wait-list for contractors, etc.

In the mean time we are living in town, in a house we were renting while we were away. So we don't have to rush into building or buying something out of town (though we are both dying to get out of town). But my little tractor is sitting in a friends shed, and I have accumulated at total of 8 hours on it! I did add a diverter and grapple on it. Pushed some snow around this winter, but that is it. It could be 2 years before I actually need the tractor the way things are going.

With market the way it is, I could likely get what I paid for it... and then in a year or two re-buy.... thought with inflation, that could be costly too. But in a 2 year window I may be abled to root out a good used deal too.
Exercise it on a regular basis...the worse thing to do is just leave it sit.

/ I jumped the gun... now what? #4  
I bought a Steiner 420 with bucket loader and other attachments with the intent of using it for a job at a house we wanted to buy. The house deal fell through and I thought for sure I'd end up selling the machine but kept it just long enough to get another house deal and have not been unhappy that I kept it since. I primarily use it to clear the 500ft driveway in the winter with the rotating brush and it's my backup mower in case of other failed cutting instruments. Keep it.

/ I jumped the gun... now what? #6  
I’d sell it, invest the $ in tesla, and buy another later.

/ I jumped the gun... now what? #7  
Are you not maintaining the property while you are waiting to build?
Exercise it on a regular basis...the worse thing to do is just leave it sit.

This. Use it to maintain and/or improve the prperty while you wait. Sure, contractors will do a lot of damage and then repair and landscaping but you can do things like keep the main area free of trees, groom the woods, and whatnot to make things easier and cheaper in the long run.

/ I jumped the gun... now what? #8  
I would keep it even if it was two years before you build. The only thing would be to make sure that it gets run about every 4 months or 3 times a year. That includes working all the hydraulic stuff like the 3 point and FEL. Just cycling them a few times is all that is needed.

Make sure the fuel tank is full, to avoid any condensation. An additive would be a good idea too.

You don't have to do it monthly..... tractors sit for 6 months without issue, especially since it's in a shed.

Tractors are only going to get more expensive..... including used ones, especially it they are sought after because of the price of new.

/ I jumped the gun... now what? #9  
Sheamus,

What I haven't heard from you is you do or don't need the money that is tied up in the tractor. If you need the money then sell it. When I hear "It could be 2 years before I actually need the tractor the way things are going" it tells me you don't know the future so make your decision based upon your needs today.

/ I jumped the gun... now what? #10  
Sheamus,

What I haven't heard from you is you do or don't need the money that is tied up in the tractor. If you need the money then sell it. When I hear "It could be 2 years before I actually need the tractor the way things are going" it tells me you don't know the future so make your decision based upon your needs today.

A wise man once said...
Listen to M59.