I jumped the gun... now what?

/ I jumped the gun... now what? #21  
I like the shipping container idea, or finding some way to store it out of the elements on the 15 acres so you can get a head start on preparing the land to build the house.. maybe make some trails too?

/ I jumped the gun... now what?
Wow, this is a lot more advice than I was hoping for, love this forum. I don't need the money; I paid for 60% of it upfront, and now have a few grand left on a loan, which is fine. So you guys echoed what I was leaning towards just keeping it.... it would be hard to sell, as I do love it.

Good point on the exercise. Part of the issue is that the shed is about 10 miles from our land, so it isn't trivial to get it over to the land. I do have a canvas "garage in a box" I could put out on the land.

what confused me is the or buying something out of town part.
We have been watching for a small farm or acreage to go up for sale, and if we found the right deal we would buy it, and sell the land we were planning on building on. As much as I would love to build a house, building materials are so expensive right now that it may not make sense. House prices are double here what they were 3 years ago, so they aren't cheap either... but prices are another topic :)

Last edited:
   / I jumped the gun... now what? #23  
A good tractor is both a tool and a quality long term investment that lasts a lifetime. We've seen quite a few come and go. Several times our jobs required us to go somewhere else for a few years. The tractors just sat there. Resting doesn't hurt them at all.

They are all worth more now than we paid and would be expensive to replace. If yours is a good one, keep it. A few years isn't going to make a bit of difference.

rScotty

/ I jumped the gun... now what? #24  
If you decide to keep the tractor out to the property, I'd definitely recommend you follow the others advice of buying (and later selling), a shipping container. I would NOT put up a "garage in a box" tent, for storage on the property. The chances are very high, that you will drive out to the property, and discover that the tractor is gone.

If it were me, I'd do the 40' shipping container, and install both a cellular-linked security system with c/s monitoring, AND a gps tracking device planted somewhere out of sight, on the tractor.

Both of those systems will cost you less than $500, and maybe $15-20 month monitoring service. That will likely even lower your insurance premium that you're paying for you insurance. You DO have tractor theft insurance, don't you?

/ I jumped the gun... now what? #25  
Agree with the 40' container plan as others have mentioned. No reason to wait on planning out the property and getting started on cleanup and layout, get to it!

If you sell now it could be a major hassle to reacquire a competent machine when you start building. You WILL need a tractor to build a homestead on 15 acres, so if cash isn't a problem right now, KEEP IT.

/ I jumped the gun... now what? #26  
Start a part time side business. Grade a couple driveways or bush hog a lot here and there just to keep it from sitting and put a couple $ in your pocket.

/ I jumped the gun... now what? #27  
I once was in a similar situation with a like new Kubota . I sold mine for fair market value and way down the road re bought more equipment. Never regretted it . In the meantime besides some thoughts/ opinions you been given above . You better " RODENT PROOF " your tractor . You won't believe the damage rodents can reek on a sitting piece of equipment .
Don't ask me how I know ! 😠

/ I jumped the gun... now what? #28  
That 40 foot container, with good locks, of course, sounds like a good idea. Keep the tractor near the door and use the rest of the space to stockpile things you need when you find them for a good price.

/ I jumped the gun... now what? #29  
Think about removing the starter or something so the tractor can't be started while it is in storage.

/ I jumped the gun... now what? #30  
Not to mention the entertainment value of getting your property ready (and at your own pace) before being slammed with building a house.