Buying backhoe for CK2610 vs Renting Mini Excavator

/ Buying backhoe for CK2610 vs Renting Mini Excavator #1  

Brownac71

Tractor
John Deere z445
I need help deciding if I should buy a backhoe attachment or just rent a mini excavator. We live on a 10 acre hobby farm in Ohio, and have some flooding issues in part of our yard and apple orchard in the late fall and early spring. I decided to put in a small pond (roughly 60'x30') and some drainage tile to help give the water a place to go.

I got an estimate from a local excavator for $15k-$20k. I decided for that amount I can sell my 90s MF 240 and buy a newer 4wd tractor with a backhoe. I haven't had much luck finding anything decent on the used market, so I started looking at new and settled on the Kioti CK2610HST as the just right size for my needs. My dealer is offering me $19,950 for the tractor and loader, or $27,750 with the backhoe.

My plan would be to use the backhoe for a year or two while I build the pond and do a few other jobs I have in mind and then sell it, but keep the tractor. Would I be better off renting a mini excavator to do the pond and not buying the backhoe? Excavator rental would be about $500 per weekend, and I estimate I would need it two or three weekends.

I would be paying cash either way, and I would prefer to buy the backhoe so I can take my time with the pond project, but not if it would be more economical to rent the mini excavator instead of taking the depreciation on the backhoe.

/ Buying backhoe for CK2610 vs Renting Mini Excavator #2  
I would go the excavator rental route if the only use was to build a pond. Excavators have full swing capability that the back hoe does not have. You would complete the work faster with an excavator.

Excavators typically have more breakout force than a backhoe, Faster digging.

/ Buying backhoe for CK2610 vs Renting Mini Excavator #3  
I’d recommend buying either a mini excavator or full size construction backhoe. It’s not likely you’ll loose $1500 in the deal and I doubt you can do all the work you’re planning in 3 weekends either.

/ Buying backhoe for CK2610 vs Renting Mini Excavator #4  
The excavator would be much faster, have greater reach, more swing (like 360 :)), stronger, more maneuverable, etc. Buying a nicer used one and selling later will probably net you zero loss, if not a small profit depending on the market in 2yrs.

/ Buying backhoe for CK2610 vs Renting Mini Excavator #5  
The excavator would be much faster, have greater reach, more swing (like 360 :)), stronger, more maneuverable, etc. Buying a nicer used one and selling later will probably net you zero loss, if not a small profit depending on the market in 2yrs.

Agreed. If you buy something pretty nice vs a pile of junk that breaks all the time and buy it right you’ll likely recoup all your money.

/ Buying backhoe for CK2610 vs Renting Mini Excavator #6  
We live on a 10 acre hobby farm in Ohio, and have some flooding issues in part of our yard and apple orchard in the late fall and early spring. I decided to put in a small pond (roughly 60'x30') and some drainage tile to help give the water a place to go.

An excavator on tracks is much less likely to get stuck in mud relative to a tractor on wheels.

/ Buying backhoe for CK2610 vs Renting Mini Excavator
Thanks for all the replies so far. I agree that the excavator is the right tool for the job. However, I'm fairly set on buying at least the new tractor at this point, and I would not have the budget to buy the tractor and the excavator. Even if I just bought the excavator, in my price range I would be looking at one with at least 1000 hr on it, and not sure I want to deal with it potentially needing repairs.

I think my preference is the tractor with backhoe mainly because it would be a new machine with a warranty, and I would have the convenience of working on the project as my schedule allows, even if it takes me longer overall. I just want to get a feel for how much lose I would take selling the backhoe after a year or two of use.

/ Buying backhoe for CK2610 vs Renting Mini Excavator #8  
My dealer is offering me $19,950 for the tractor and loader, or $27,750 with the backhoe.
I paid a little over $19K for my 125 with backhoe, mower and tiller, but that was 4 years ago. I have no idea what they run now, but would most likely be less than orange, green or red.

I can tell you from digging a few trenches and a couple of graves for cows, I would not enjoy trying to dig a pond of any size. The 12" bucket just doesn't move that much material and I only have about 170 degree swing, which means a lot of re-positioning.

It's also not going to be easy to sell just the BH as they tend to be matched to the tractor to some degree --- sub frame and hydraulics for example.

/ Buying backhoe for CK2610 vs Renting Mini Excavator #9  
I have two tractorswith backhoes - an M59 Kubota 8000 lbs, a John Deere 310SG commercial hoe at 14,000 lbs. Either could do your job. I also have both time and experience. If I were doing the work you are describing I'd hire the excavator. A full 360 degree swing is a huge advantage for making a pond.

If you do decide to buy a a tractor with backhoe, consider one of Kubota's TLBs. Those TLBs not only have a rigidly mounted backhoe made for work, they have a front end loader made for digging. Plus more gearing (HST+) and they also have an optional 3pt. Get a thumb.

Your more common homeowner tractors with add-on backhoes and FELs are not nearly as capable.
rScotty

/ Buying backhoe for CK2610 vs Renting Mini Excavator #10  
Have you looked into delivery times for new tractors?
Do you like to buy and sell stuff?
Does your behind hurt because your sitting on too much money?
At $1,500 for the rental I'd say it's a no brainer. Go ahead and buy the new tractor but rent the excavator.
The only reason I bought my backhoe attachment ~10 years ago was because we were going to move to Mississippi and there was no place near (< 1 hour drive) that rents.