Kohler No Longer An Option on L&G Tractors?

/ Kohler No Longer An Option on L&G Tractors? #1  

Ledgemere Farm

Veteran Member
Tractor
A bunch
I’ve done a bit of researching online and couldn’t readily find out why, but my GT 225 came with a very good 16HP Kohler. Seems like all the new John Deere L&G equipment comes with a Briggs or a Kawasaki. Why are Kohler no
longer an option? Thank You

/ Kohler No Longer An Option on L&G Tractors? #3  
You should probably be asking the tractor manufacturer. It probably comes down to cost and availability. They may be more expensive for the manufacturer to buy than the alternatives or Kohler may not be able or willing to produce sufficient quantities.

/ Kohler No Longer An Option on L&G Tractors? #4  
I’ve done a bit of researching online and couldn’t readily find out why, but my GT 225 came with a very good 16HP Kohler. Seems like all the new John Deere L&G equipment comes with a Briggs or a Kawasaki. Why are Kohler no
longer an option? Thank You

The reason they dont use kohler anymore is because they need a cheaper option for there machines to produce in mass numbers. Kohler engines are very expensive but also are the best quality engines in the industry. They get cheaper priced and quality engines to slap in each machine they make (accept for certain models because they use the top of the line Kohler Command engines.) so they can have as much profits as possible.

• Good Post
Reactions: Z71
   / Kohler No Longer An Option on L&G Tractors? #5  
Kohler not what it used to be.
Agreed 100%. Wife has an oil burning, hard starting Kohler vertical V twin on her zero turn while I have a no oil burning, easy to start Kawasaki on mine. When that motor pukes (and it will), I'll be installing a HF Pred in it's place.

/ Kohler No Longer An Option on L&G Tractors? #6  
The reason they dont use kohler anymore is because they need a cheaper option for there machines to produce in mass numbers. Kohler engines are very expensive but also are the best quality engines in the industry. They get cheaper priced and quality engines to slap in each machine they make (accept for certain models because they use the top of the line Kohler Command engines.) so they can have as much profits as possible.
Don't know if I agree with your comment. The late model Kohlers are problematic. Having said that I have a Kohler cast iron K series engine on my engine drive welder that will outlast me. The new ones are basically junk from my experience Kohler builds them so cheap they don't even use valve cover gaskets. They stick the valve covers on with blue glue. Now, that's cheap.

/ Kohler No Longer An Option on L&G Tractors? #7  
Don't know if I agree with your comment. The late model Kohlers are problematic. Having said that I have a Kohler cast iron K series engine on my engine drive welder that will outlast me. The new ones are basically junk from my experience Kohler builds them so cheap they don't even use valve cover gaskets. They stick the valve covers on with blue glue. Now, that's cheap.

IMO the 2015 and newer Kohlers arent worth a crap. But are still better than a majorityof the other brands out there. Also what model Kohler is on that zero turn? It really depends on the model as i see only the Command being the only good kohler engine still besides the agies and diesel kohlers.

/ Kohler No Longer An Option on L&G Tractors? #8  
Wife has a "Courage'. Nothing about it speaks courage to me. Oil burner and hard starter and no valve cover gaskets (I know I just set the valves the other day and made up a set of gaskets from gasket stock). Talk about cheap, there it is.

/ Kohler No Longer An Option on L&G Tractors? #9  
Welp theres your issue right there. Courage engines are terrible. My neighbors tractor has a 27hp courage on it and it is mega hard to start. Doesnt burn oil yet. And grinds when cranking.

/ Kohler No Longer An Option on L&G Tractors? #10  
Start looking harder. All the major engine manufacturers use RTV sealant on the valve covers. Briggs, Kohler, Kawasaki, Honda. And a few use it in place of a sump gasket.