Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,991  
My at home charging cost runs about $3.50 per 100 miles. Yesterday the cheapest gas was $3.66

In October 2019 I paid $13.5K USD for our 2016 Nissan Leaf SL with every option offered that year showing 22K miles. New spec's was 107 miles of driving range that had degraded to 60 miles of range. 5 weeks later it triggered the warranty for a new main battery.

As luck would happen Nissan had discontinued the 30 kWh 107 mile range battery so on 12 Feb 2020 I got it back with a new 40 kWh 150 mile range battery and the car still looks nice.

Financially and emotionally it was a no brainer yet more expensive than any car, truck or tractor ever purchased in in my lifetime.

I was 100% certain EVs were here to stay and I wanted a car with no gas tank but a heat pump to make two 30 mile trips daily.

I now have the remainder of the mint $6K 2015 Leaf SV 27K mile parts car totalled due to a computer problem by Erie insurance. Due to the computer problem I couldn't analyze the health of the 24 kWh battery pack so we have that project coming up when global warming backs off by 30F. Due to being a Maryland car with 27K miles the battery pack should be fine but if the car took a surge who knows.

The adjuster quote to rebuild our car was $24K but my settlement was only $12K yet we made it happen. It will be cool if we come up with a 24 kWh power wall solution.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,992  
Looks like the old players are struggling to even be competitive in the EV space.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,994  
Nice. I’ve always heard they charge more for higher amperage service. Maybe it’s just the equipment upgrade that costs, and not the monthly connection fees?
When I asked for new service, and this entailed extending the branch 4000’, “Same cost to install 200A as 400A. No additional monthly connect fee other than the kWh used.”

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,995  
I think Lars had a good point about EVs as warmed over ice cars.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,996  
1658860164_da_48.jpg

If you're not happy with today's evs remember this.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,999  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,000  
Just read an article in Motortrend. Similar to the other stories about having to do a lot of pre trip planning VS just driving an ICE vehicle. Conclusion was that until charging station network rolls out more stations that are reliable (they encountered several broken charging stations on their trip), “planning, patience, and math is required when taking a road trip in an electric car, but it can be done—even through the middle of nowhere.”

It’s probably not as complicated as planning a bombing run over Germany in WWII, but I’m not big on patience and math. 😛