6x12 Tandem vs 6x14 Tandem?

/ 6x12 Tandem vs 6x14 Tandem? #1  

Olympus

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS R3039
I’m looking to consolidate my two crappy trailers into one good trailer. Currently have a small 4x7 that’s basically like a big wheel barrow. Fits a 500 ATV perfectly and weighs hardly nothing. I use it pretty regularly, but it sucks to haul empty because it jumps and bounces around so much and it sucks to back up because you can’t see it over your tailgate or side mirrors. It will jack knife on you in a heartbeat! It’s handy, but a PITA sometimes. Uses small tires not rated for highway speed. But it’s quick to hook up and easy to load so it gets used a lot.

I also have a 16ft tandem that I’ve rebuilt. It’s homemade and not exactly precision quality. It has brakes on one axle. The wiring is shoddy and the lights go in and out as well as the brakes while driving. It has separate ramps but no storage so they get thrown on the deck. I use it when hauling two or more ATVs and I also have a compact tractor I haul a few times a year. When hauling my tractor, I almost always take the loader frame off. It’s easier for me to work in and around trees without the extra length out front. I keep my implements at location where I haul to, so I really only haul just the tractor alone.

I’d like to split the difference between the two. Something small enough that’s not too much hassle to tow primarily with one ATV, but still big enough to haul two atvs (or 3 sideways) at once or just my tractor. I also have a lot of woods around my house, so I don’t have a ton of parking and maneuvering room. Both the 12 and the 14 would have brakes on one axle and both would have 3500lb x2 axle. Price difference isn’t much. Not sure if I’d be gaining much by just going 2ft shorter than the 16ft I already have or if the 12ft would be too small.

/ 6x12 Tandem vs 6x14 Tandem? #2  
As for bounce... back when I was hauling a lot the empty trailer ran with less tire pressure and no more bounce.

Always had with compressed air or a tank with me.

Hard to say... my go to as in every week is the 4x6 box trailer... just so darn easy to use and set up to carry a yard is gravel.

/ 6x12 Tandem vs 6x14 Tandem?
As for bounce... back when I was hauling a lot the empty trailer ran with less tire pressure and no more bounce.

Always had with compressed air or a tank with me.

Hard to say... my go to as in every week is the 4x6 box trailer... just so darn easy to use and set up to carry a yard is gravel.

Less air wouldn’t help much on a trailer this light. And I don’t want the hassle of having to carry a portable air tank.

I also only haul equipment, no loose material.

/ 6x12 Tandem vs 6x14 Tandem? #4  
Not sure a tandem trailer capable of hauling the tractor or a pair of ATV's is gonna be a good match behind an ATV and be able to do anything productive.

Also not sure I'd wat to go small enough to rule out ever being able to haul implements with the tractor.

Not sure a tandem trailer capable of hauling the tractor or a pair of ATV's is gonna be a good match behind an ATV and be able to do anything productive.

Not sure you’re understanding. I’m not towing anything behind an ATV. At the most, I sometimes use a 500 ATV to park a trailer if my yard is muddy and I don’t want to rut it up with my truck. But my ATV will easily move my current 16ft trailer, so that’s a non-issue.

/ 6x12 Tandem vs 6x14 Tandem? #6  
Personally, I'd go with the 14' tandem. I have a 16' that works well for me although I wish it was an 18'. My neighbor has a 14' tandem and it works well for what he needs it for--Building materials, mulch, quads, side by side etc.

/ 6x12 Tandem vs 6x14 Tandem? #7  
I'd go with a 14 tandem...with brakes on both axles...thinking ahead to having a FEL and/or a 3point attachment....or both on your CUT. An ATV or your CUT can easily move the 14 footer around for parking and loading positions.

It seems that guys that have 12's wish they had 14's....The guys with 14's wish they had 16's and so it goes.

Cheers,
Mike

Attachments

• 508.JPG
    508.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 108
Thanks. I must be the exception because I have a 16 and wished I had something smaller.

/ 6x12 Tandem vs 6x14 Tandem? #9  
^^^So True…

/ 6x12 Tandem vs 6x14 Tandem? #10  
14 ft no question,