Glad he wasn't hurt seriously

/ Glad he wasn't hurt seriously #1  

RedDawg

Bronze Member
Tractor
2012 Mahindra 5010, 1955 Ford 640
Always concerned when I see these folks cutting by the side of the road on a hillside. Wonder if that blown right rear tire was the cause or a result.

1660738184193.png

Worker safe after tractor overturns during a mowing job in Lebanon

/ Glad he wasn't hurt seriously #2  
   / Glad he wasn't hurt seriously #3  
I'm glad the operator is well but what was he expecting really? You just don't do that type of hillside work, specially going sideways with a conventional tractor. Only up and down.

/ Glad he wasn't hurt seriously #5  
I'm glad the operator is well but what was he expecting really? You just don't do that type of hillside work, specially going sideways with a conventional tractor. Only up and down.
Most of the highway mowing here is done parallel to the highway, and that involves side slopes. It’s extremely common to see mowing crews with large bat-wing mowers on the side slopes. There is no option to go up or down, just across, as there’s usually a ditch or swale at the bottom between the highway and the hill, and 99.9% of the time there’s a fence at the top of the hill. That leaves no place to turn around at the tops or bottoms of the hills. So across they go.

With that said, there are rollovers each year. And you can see the tire marks where they slide down the hills sideways and don’t roll. ROPS, cabs, seat belts.

/ Glad he wasn't hurt seriously #6  
Also most of that mowing is contracted out. The guys that are serious about doing it around here will run duals. But a lot of times it is people doing it as a side gig. It is surprising we do not see more roll overs.

/ Glad he wasn't hurt seriously #7  
Most of the highway mowing here is done parallel to the highway, and that involves side slopes. It’s extremely common to see mowing crews with large bat-wing mowers on the side slopes. There is no option to go up or down, just across, as there’s usually a ditch or swale at the bottom between the highway and the hill, and 99.9% of the time there’s a fence at the top of the hill. That leaves no place to turn around at the tops or bottoms of the hills. So across they go.

With that said, there are rollovers each year. And you can see the tire marks where they slide down the hills sideways and don’t roll. ROPS, cabs, seat belts.
I understand that, I just can't see the point of risking lives and expensive equipment when there plenty of better ways of doing it.

Over here those hillsides are handled with boom flail mowers and the tractors never leave the road. When those can't do it, a crew of 4 to 6 people will do it by hand with gas string trimmers that will also handle the brush around poles, signs, etc that the tractor can't do.

Lately there has been a slight increase on those remote controlled flail mower for the very steep hills though.

1660744357922.png

/ Glad he wasn't hurt seriously #8  
I agree with all the comments so far. Never seen one in real life but Ventrac mowers would be a better option, but not as safe as fenced in cows or sheep would be. Yes would cost more but don't build such step grades to begin with.

• Good Post
Reactions: bgr
   / Glad he wasn't hurt seriously #9  
I know of 2 operators use independent braking when mowing.