First electric tractor ride

/ First electric tractor ride #51  
Hmmm. No filters to change.
Well, not so fast. It's still a hydraulic machine so it had better have a filter or two.

The only thing you're changing is the main powerplant from ICE to electric motor, and a heavy battery pack instead of a fuel tank.

/ First electric tractor ride #52  
I think it's compelling, and could find a niche use for one (indoors in a horse arena where you are more concerned about fumes, for example).

However, it drives me nuts when marketing gets involved. Statements like "saves $12,000 in fuel over 10 years," are absurd. Well, yeah, because it doesn't use any fuel. But, how much will your electricity bill increase? Obviously, there will still be a savings, but the picture won't be quite so rosy.

As others have mentioned, to save $12,000 in fuel in 10 years at $4.00/gallon, and 1 gallon/hour burn rate, you'd have to be using the tractor 300 hours/year. Very few individuals will do that. The reality is more like 100 hours/year at most. Now the savings are $4,000.00.

Assume, on average, you are using 15 of the available 25 hp when using the tractor. That is about 11 kW. So, 100 hrs/year x 10 years is 11,000 Kw-Hrs. If electricity rates are $0.15/kW-Hr (mine are more), then you will pay $1,650 in electricity costs. So, net savings over 10 years will be $2,350. That's a far cry from $12,000.

However, I see the decrease in maintenance as a major advantage.

However, I also see the possibility of puncturing a battery with a stick or rock (How are they protected?) as a MAJOR disadvantage that could really ruin your day.

/ First electric tractor ride #53  
Sadly, I won't ever get one of these until they are available used... But I'm looking forward to that day.

Regarding the battery temperature issue- It's because Soletrac uses lithium *iron* (LiFePO4), not lithium *ion*. That means:

1) Longer lifetime. Roughly 4 times Lithium ion. They won't be having to replace battery packs due to the 10 year warranty. That's an easy lift for this type of battery.
2) Deeper charge cycles with no damage. You can discharge them to zero and then return to 100% without damaging the battery.
3) Very safe. No need to worry about the overheating issues that lithium ion has. Even if there's a dead short, LiFePO4 is noncombustible, so the battery won't catch on fire.
4) Costs about $80 per kWh, - a little more than half of lithium-ion.
5) Doesn't use Nickle or Cobalt, so not as likely to be sourced from mines using slave labor. (Yeah, that's a serious problem with the cobalt in lithium-ion.)

The downsides:

6) Weighs almost twice as much per kW
7) Can't charge below 32 deg F. (But if charged, they supply power reasonably well at low temps.)

Bottom line: This is the ideal tractor battery, because we *want* more weight. Charging is no big deal, just use the power from the charger to heat them up before starting the charge cycle.

When you need a new battery pack, the current cost for it would be around $1,800

Last edited:
   / First electric tractor ride #54  
This is not new....Electric lawn tractors, compact tractors and even large tractors have been tried for decades..for various reasons they never caught on..cost and battery issues/technology being the main problems.... If you research the all electric vehicle industry as it stands right now "with unbiased facts and stats" the truth is that electric cars on average have somewhere between 30&40% more issues and problems than gasoline/diesel powered. Also the dangers of LION batteries is just now starting to show itself...fires, explosions, toxic gas, etc, etc, etc. The firefighting world is one of the best places to find out about the true dangers and how they are becoming more and more common. That said..sure an electric tractor might be nice and fun for certain things..But all things considered I beleve that a world powered by batteries is not going to happen in any massive scale for many years to come....In all truth there is no such thing as "Green Energy"... It all has to come from the ground at some point....name one thing we use and consume that doesn't.

/ First electric tractor ride #55  
IF applicable, the alleged cost to replace an EV battery is around $227 / kWH. That would make the 22 kWH battery cost about $5K.
Not applicable in this case, because the Solectrac uses a lithium-iron (LiFePO4) battery. That makes a 22kWh battery cost more like $1,800. ($80/kWh.) As the production has ramped up on these, the price has really dropped. They are a lot easier to make.

Last edited:
   / First electric tractor ride #56  
NorCal extreme! Diesel $8/gallon, photo last week. No wonder the oil companies are booking best-in-history profits.

Source of photo.

But the comments note more typical prices in the region start around $4.60 for Regular.

eqbv9vbhxqi91.jpg
Some how or another CHEVRON think its fuels are gold and they are priced at about 20% higher then other stations, If you are along a freeway its maybe 30% higher... One has to go inland to find legitimate gas pricing ....

Last edited:
   / First electric tractor ride #57  
I'd like one. Much cheaper of course, but I like rechargeable equipment. They are quiet, and as I get older the noise bothers me more and more. Even with ear protection.

Would love to plow my driveway at night or very early in the morning without disturbing the neighbors. And with global warming, I'm not worried about the 14F degree limitation.

I'll wait until Kubota makes an electric BX. That would be nice for puttering in the yard.

/ First electric tractor ride #58  
This is not new....Electric lawn tractors, compact tractors and even large tractors have been tried for decades..for various reasons they never caught on..cost and battery issues/technology being the main problems.... If you research the all electric vehicle industry as it stands right now "with unbiased facts and stats" the truth is that electric cars on average have somewhere between 30&40% more issues and problems than gasoline/diesel powered. Also the dangers of LION batteries is just now starting to show itself...fires, explosions, toxic gas, etc, etc, etc. The firefighting world is one of the best places to find out about the true dangers and how they are becoming more and more common. That said..sure an electric tractor might be nice and fun for certain things..But all things considered I beleve that a world powered by batteries is not going to happen in any massive scale for many years to come....In all truth there is no such thing as "Green Energy"... It all has to come from the ground at some point....name one thing we use and consume that doesn't.
This tractor doesn't use LION batteries. And of course, you can opt to charge using solar or wind, both of which don't come from the ground and are currently cheaper than coal or oil. (Natural Gas is still slightly cheaper than wind though.)

We currently drive two electric cars. In 3 years, my maintenance costs have consisted of replacing the tires and wipers. Haven't even needed brake pads. My experience doesn't match the assertion of 30%-40% more problem.

Per NFPA (ie: Firefighters)

Average number of car fires per mile driven for conventional cars = 1 fire per 19 million miles.

Average number of car fires per mile driven for EVs = 1 fire per 210 million miles.

Last edited:
   / First electric tractor ride #59  
5w203
Salesman came buy the dealership yesterday peddling a Solectrac (spl?) tractor. The owner jumped on and rode it around for awhile. He said it was pretty smooth running, quiet and responsive. The salesman stated that this tractor would save over $12,000 in fuel costs over a similar diesel powered machine in a 10 yr period. The battery was good for that long and I asked about a battery purchase price. He didn't know the answer to that one and kept saying "it's guaranteed for 10 yrs. What tractor company do you know of that guarantees their engine for that long"?
At any rate, the tractor was good for 3-6 hrs on a charge and would charge in 8 hrs on a 220 circuit. It weighed similar to a fueled tractor of that size at 2300 lbs.
MSRP price was $28,000. Came with ags on it. Industrial and turfs were about $1500 more and a loader was about $4600.

In my opinion, It has its place for light use like on a horse farm of small garden or short driveway. If your climate gets below freezing in the winter, you have to heat up the battery with a blanket for it to take a charge. It is a lithium/iron battery that itself must be at 32*
My overall impression was that it was nice for what it was and has its place for someone.
I wouldn't buy it to save the planet as some believe electrics will but I guess its main thrust is towards convenience.
I don't think it would like pulling a 2000 lb log behind it for long or plowing out a 1000 foot driveway with 15" of snow. There is no front pto mount for it as yet..
cet-electric-tractor

/ First electric tractor ride #60  
To really compare you would have to know how much it would cost to recharge. Comparing fuel cost to the charge cost and down time for charging may only make it worthwhile for a few people.
I read an article recently about the new ford electric truck that was compared to a gas one while towing. Charge cost while traveling averaged $30 per charge and only a100 and some miles. They determined it was marginally cheaper for the electric not considering down time for charging. I think I would rather get where I’m going.