Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,512  
I posted this on the EV disaster discussion:

Someone double check my math. This is what would happen if we transitioned from ice to EVs. In other words, all ice vehicles replaced with electric. Of course this doesn't include tractors, boats, heavy equipment, mowers, etc. Just cars & trucks AND at present usage. In the future of course (2035?) numbers would be higher.

EVs consume an average of 0.35 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per mile driven (cars).
290.8 million registered vehicles in USA in 2022
Average yearly miles driven 14,263 miles
Electricity usage in USA 3,995 TWh (in 2021)
(1TWh=1billion kWh)
1,451,688,140,000 kWh (USA vehicles miles driven average rate times average electric power consumption...cars only.
Therefore = 1,451 TWh at CAR rate: however, if you factor in truck usage which is 1.89 kWh/mile.
Of the 290.8 million vehicles registered in USA, 156 million are trucks!
So...back to the drawing board!
134.8 million cars+156 million trucks
134,800,000 at (.35×14,263)=4,992.05 kWh
156,000,000 at (1.89×14,263)=26,957.07 kWh
Cars: 672,928,340,000 kWh
Trucks: 4,205,302,920,000 kWh
Total: 4,878,231,260,000 kWh
Total: 4,878.23126 TWh
Therefore grid system would have to be more than doubled to meet demand.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,513  
Trucks: 4,205,302,920,000 kWh
Total: 4,878,231,260,000 kWh
Total: 4,878.23126 TWh
Therefore grid system would have to be more than doubled to meet demand.
Grid system would also need to be reliable to sustain that level as well. Thus no heat wave dome to knock out power for a few days and no ice storms nor snow storms to knock out power for a few days to a week.

Double our NUCLEAR power plants is the fastest way of getting there by 2035. Some say nuclear is cheap, well to generate the power it sure is. However, the security around the facility and to know it's on every terrorist's plotted map as a hit site raises the price. And in the event of a hostile war, nuclear site become a very attractive target in whipping out millions of people both in the first few days and into the next 3 months. People know this, thus the, Not in my backyard, saying applies.

To double the coal plants is the next option, yet the coal rail lines would need to be more than doubled for the infrastructure.

We will not make it to 2035 with wind and solar. It's not doable period.

All the mandates and legislation can not change the laws of nature getting there by then.

Should the administration change hands in DC, dates will get pushed out or cancelled.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,514  
^^^I'm hoping & voting^^^
My brother always says the pendulum never lands in the middle. Everything is either one extreme or the other. I certainly don't consider myself a genius or have a PhD but common sense tells me that everything; transformers, generators, nuclear plants, a running electric motor, ice engine, people, animals, manufacturing...every moving part creates heat. No exception. Current flow though wires creates heat (and radiation).
The International Renewable Energy Agency estimates it will cost $131,000,000,000,000 ($131T) to reduce Earth temperature 1.5°C.
Choices. That's what I'd love to see.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,515  
I hope we continue to pursue alternative fuels, EVs or not. I'd like to see oil from the Mideast, Russia, Venezuela and other bad actors become irrelevant. Coal is dirty and dying its own natutral death. Based on extreme weather, we need to shore up and expand the electrical grid. Having cleaner air would be a nice bonus.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,516  
Hopefully we are on the cusp of a rash of new advancements and innovations etc...
Finally the US is getting back into the space game big time with plans to build a station on the Moon...
The last time NASA got this serious it was with the shuttle program that produced the ISS and made the Hubble possible...

...Although a lot of technology started with the Apollo program...it was the Shuttle program that is basically responsible for putting PCs in every house and all the cordless tools etc., etc...along with a plethora of technologies that the general public is unaware of...many of which are likely employed in the manufacture of EVs and their batteries...

...Right now NASA says they are building the moon base to expand space exploration and missions to Mars etc (they are already making O2 there (on Mars))...but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize exploring and likely mining would be a serious part of the plan...

...A lot of new technology will have to be developed and energy sources will be a big part of it...

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,517  
Sorry to here that. I'm 71 and have invited a few to my 110th Birthday Bash in 2061.
Have fun. While the women on my mother's side live well into their 90s (mother is 95 and still going strong), none of the men on either side have made it to 85 (father got within a couple months of that landmark).

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,518  
Was right behind a Ford Lightning in McDonald's drive thru 7 am. Massive looking castings under the rear. Then at the closing on the 2004 Honda CV-R the owner showed up in a black two week old Mustang MACH E. Murray is starting to embrace EVs . :)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,519  
Grid system would also need to be reliable to sustain that level as well. Thus no heat wave dome to knock out power for a few days and no ice storms nor snow storms to knock out power for a few days to a week.

Double our NUCLEAR power plants is the fastest way of getting there by 2035. Some say nuclear is cheap, well to generate the power it sure is. However, the security around the facility and to know it's on every terrorist's plotted map as a hit site raises the price. And in the event of a hostile war, nuclear site become a very attractive target in whipping out millions of people both in the first few days and into the next 3 months. People know this, thus the, Not in my backyard, saying applies.

To double the coal plants is the next option, yet the coal rail lines would need to be more than doubled for the infrastructure.

We will not make it to 2035 with wind and solar. It's not doable period.

All the mandates and legislation can not change the laws of nature getting there by then.

Should the administration change hands in DC, dates will get pushed out or cancelled.
Russia and China aren't going to target nuclear plants in a nuclear war. They are small potato low value targets. They're going to target every major city, population center, and military installation, and that will be enough to end mankind as we know it, because we'll do the same to them.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,520