How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans?

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #171  
I grew up running gear drive tractors and vehicles. Got so used to them to not even use the clutch when shifting up or down going down the road. I used the accelerator pedal, or footfeed as we called it, to match the engine speed to the current ground speed and simply moved the shift lever to the next higher or lower gear. It was a good thing as most gears were not synchronized and the clutch was of no use.
I find the hydrostat to be the next best thing to sliced bread!

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #172  
For loader work, the HST is the way to go. For snowblowers, I also think the HST is the way to go as the HST can keep the blower's rpm up under varying loads easier than a gear tractor.

Anyway, one of my popular videos discusses HST verses gear transmission.

With my shuttle shift I can change direction in around 2-4 seconds. The HST in 1-2 seconds. Yep I agree the HST is twice as fast.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #173  
IF you can figure out how to put THAT whiner tranny.....er hystat in a tinkertoy tractor, it only then will be a good comparison.

SR
Agreed, a dozer is a completely different animal and should not have even been brought into this conversation

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #174  
For loader work, the HST is the way to go. For snowblowers, I also think the HST is the way to go as the HST can keep the blower's rpm up under varying loads easier than a gear tractor.

Anyway, one of my popular videos discusses HST verses gear transmission.

would be good if you actually used a gear shift to compare to. I've cut down trees and been in this same position and found that it is much faster and easier to just cut the tree off and take it out in two pieces.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #175  
When it comes to the ultimate load being pulled the HST will probably win out. HST will retrain traction better at the start.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #176  
HST transmissions require extra HP to make up for the losses. Quite a bit really but this is not new info. Nonetheless, for some applications they are still the best, like loader work for example.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #177  
all big rigs use a manual transmission so that should tell you what has more pulling power
Not really. Today's big trucks are mostly automatics, not manuals. Hybrid automatics, standard gearbox with a servo actuated (electronic controlled) clutch pack. No clutch pedal at all.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #178  
Well, after owning and operating around 10 Kubota's (I prefer them actually, and that hinges mostly on my dealer relationship), all of them HST's except the last 2. It's a toss up far as I'm concerned. HST's are inherently more complex and HST's all have parasitic power loss just like an automatic transmission in a motor vehicle.

Having said that a gear drive with a hydraulic shuttle for me combines the features of clutchless shifting (there is no clutch) with instant forward and reverse (via the shuttle lever for loader work) with no parasitic power loss and no additional heat created by the HST transmission.

If I had to buy a new tractor (which I don't-won't), it would be a gear drive hydraulic shuttle hands down.

The hydraulic shuttle combines the convenience of an HST with none of the disadvantages like power loss and complexity.

Far as tractive effort is concerned, that all has to do with tractor weight and tire choice as well as front wheel assist.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #179  
Only place I've found a hydro to be better, is in a lawnmower. At least then the blades are so loud I don't have to listen to the hydro. lol

Owning both, I don't see the advantage of a hydro in the big picture EXCEPT it's easier for the newbs to learn how to run a tractor. As a person who has been on tractors since I was young, I prefer the positive feel of a gear drive, and that includes loader work. Saying a hydro has more traction than a gear drive is a joke and that includes starting uphill! That's really all about the operator!

My neighbor bought a new deere 40hp compact, wanted a gear drive, but the dealer kept telling him and convinced him that he really wanted a hydro, and that's what they delivered. He didn't like it, but they told him he just needed to get used to it, well a month later he was bitching so much, they found a gear drive and swapped the hydro out.

Then they were so generous, they told him he wouldn't have to PAY the thousand $ difference a gear drive cost!! It was only waaay later that he learned that it was the hydro that cost the 1k more!

Anyway, not everyone thinks a hydro is better, and the big picture is, a hydro cost you more to buy and cost you more to own, IF you actually use your tractor for work like on a farm. That was already tried, and it failed... lol

SR

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #180  
Well, after owning and operating around 10 Kubota's (I prefer them actually, and that hinges mostly on my dealer relationship), all of them HST's except the last 2. It's a toss up far as I'm concerned. HST's are inherently more complex and HST's all have parasitic power loss just like an automatic transmission in a motor vehicle.

Having said that a gear drive with a hydraulic shuttle for me combines the features of clutchless shifting (there is no clutch) with instant forward and reverse (via the shuttle lever for loader work) with no parasitic power loss and no additional heat created by the HST transmission.

If I had to buy a new tractor (which I don't-won't), it would be a gear drive hydraulic shuttle hands down.

The hydraulic shuttle combines the convenience of an HST with none of the disadvantages like power loss and complexity.

Far as tractive effort is concerned, that all has to do with tractor weight and tire choice as well as front wheel assist.
Does the hydraulic shuttle work well when inching such as backing up to an implement for 3PH mounting.