How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans?

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #181  
Does the hydraulic shuttle work well when inching such as backing up to an implement for 3PH mounting.
Absolutely, I just go into a low gear when hooking up. Both my shuttle tractors are equipped with creep gears anyway plus I have auxiliary 3 point hitch controls on the back fender. Remember , mine are full sized tractors, not small ones so there is no reaching into the operators area to move the hitch arms.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #182  
Owning both, I don't see the advantage of a hydro in the big picture EXCEPT it's easier for the newbs to learn how to run a tractor.
Today, not many young'ins know how to change gears in the first place. In fact, being brought up with slush box tranny's in cars, most don't have a clue, hence the popularity of HST's.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #183  
Well, after owning and operating around 10 Kubota's (I prefer them actually, and that hinges mostly on my dealer relationship), all of them HST's except the last 2. It's a toss up far as I'm concerned. HST's are inherently more complex and HST's all have parasitic power loss just like an automatic transmission in a motor vehicle.

Having said that a gear drive with a hydraulic shuttle for me combines the features of clutchless shifting (there is no clutch) with instant forward and reverse (via the shuttle lever for loader work) with no parasitic power loss and no additional heat created by the HST transmission.

If I had to buy a new tractor (which I don't-won't), it would be a gear drive hydraulic shuttle hands down.

The hydraulic shuttle combines the convenience of an HST with none of the disadvantages like power loss and complexity.

Far as tractive effort is concerned, that all has to do with tractor weight and tire choice as well as front wheel assist.

I agree on your opinion about using the hydraulic shuttle especially on a larger tractor. But if the system was implemented on a 30 hp tractor how much cost or complexity have you really saved?

Last edited:
   / How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #184  
I agree on your opinion about using the hydraulic shuttle especially on larger tractor. But if the system was implemented on a on a 30 hp tractor how much cost or complexity have you really saved?
Nothing in reality and why the bulk of the under 30 horse class is/are HST's.

Most compact units are also used for mowing lawns and other domestic stuff so an HST is the way to fly. For me, they are a non starter.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #185  
Nothing in reality and why the bulk of the under 30 horse class is/are HST's.

Most compact units are also used for mowing lawns and other domestic stuff so an HST is the way to fly. For me, they are a non starter.

Since a hydraulic shuttle would cost the same or probably even more the than a HST the vast majority of compact gear tractors are the bare bones dry clutch unsynchronized gear trans. And that’s a very operator unfriendly transmission to use for anything involving speed changes or direction changes. Increased reliability simply isn’t true either. You’re more likely to have to split that tractor to put a clutch in than the chances of the HST ever tearing up.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #187  
They do fail like anything else and replacement is expensive.

Anything can fail but a dry clutch is a wear item that will fail. And the labor to change it is fairly expensive.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #188  
HST simply do not have the power of gear transmission , you can see it in the PTO output and feel it in the wheels output as well ... I have a HST tractor and mainly do land works like plowing, disking and field clearing and I wish I would've got a gears tractor, HST has its place and its faster and easier but for net HP output it is inferiors in all aspects.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #189  
HST simply do not have the power of gear transmission , you can see it in the PTO output and feel it in the wheels output as well ... I have a HST tractor and mainly do land works like plowing, disking and field clearing and I wish I would've got a gears tractor, HST has its place and its faster and easier but for net HP output it is inferiors in all aspects.
Why would there be any difference in the power output of the PTO? Isn't the PTO direct drive in both transmission types?

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #190  
Today, not many young'ins know how to change gears in the first place. In fact, being brought up with slush box tranny's in cars, most don't have a clue, hence the popularity of HST's.
I have a friend who always commented when I locked my PU that has a stick, "why lock it, no thief knows how to drive a stick these days"... lol

SR