How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans?

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #261  
The results of this thread so far; Those who love geared transmissions still love them. Those who love HST's still love them. And some of us could live quite happily with either. Pretty much exactly the same results as before the thread was started.:)

There seems to be an ego-feeding assumption that people with HSTs don't know how to run a clutch which really isn't the case. Meanwhile, it would be interesting to compile the data on HST problems and then compare that to how many people are splitting a tractor to put in a clutch in the compact tractor space. Personally, I think it is pointless to purchase a compact tractor with a clutch and gears as they are such small machines that any potential benefit of a power shuttle transmission will never be realized.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #262  
We have a Mahindra 50hp hst and a Branson 55hp gear
The hst uses the fuel 30% faster than the gear because its always revved up to feed than hydro pump
I have accidently stepped on the wrong pedal on the hst and ran into things I should not of.... :mad:

The hst is better if you are in tight quarters and are working with a loader, that's the only advantage I can think of for the moment.

However I like them both..

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #263  
We have a Mahindra 50hp hst and a Branson 55hp gear
The hst uses the fuel 30% faster than the gear because its always revved up to feed than hydro pump
I have accidently stepped on the wrong pedal on the hst and ran into things I should not of.... :mad:

The hst is better if you are in tight quarters and are working with a loader, that's the only advantage I can think of for the moment.

However I like them both..
You might want to add mowing to this YF, that's where my one hydro shines . . . but I do prefer my geared tractors for a lot of other things.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans?
I have a friend who always commented when I locked my PU that has a stick, "why lock it, no thief knows how to drive a stick these days"... lol

SR
This make me laugh because it's so true. A stick isn't rocket science but it's common to hear a news report of a stolen car attempt where it was abandoned a few feet from the starting point.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #265  
IMHO if your afraid to lose 15% of power with an HST tranny
just purchase a tractor with more HP and with an HST problem
solved!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

willy

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #266  
So what is the difference in performance between a gear and a hydro powering a "stationary" PTO driven such as a wood chipper?

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #267  
IMHO if your afraid to lose 15% of power with an HST tranny
just purchase a tractor with more HP and with an HST problem
solved!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

willy
If you only really need one tractor this ^^^^^^ is the answer a little more HP to make up for the lose.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #269  
You guys are right, that's why I purchased the 5010 Mahindra, it was more HP than I needed, however it still drinks fuel like a democrat on election night.... :LOL:

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #270  
There seems to be an ego-feeding assumption that people with HSTs don't know how to run a clutch which really isn't the case. Meanwhile, it would be interesting to compile the data on HST problems and then compare that to how many people are splitting a tractor to put in a clutch in the compact tractor space. Personally, I think it is pointless to purchase a compact tractor with a clutch and gears as they are such small machines that any potential benefit of a power shuttle transmission will never be realized.
Well, your second phrase pretty much confirms the first one about not knowing how to run a clutch, specially considering the compact tractors over there get hardly any hours per year, which won't tell much of the durability of an HST either. Heck, I have yet to see an HST tractor with over 3000 hours that hasn't been worked on the HST at one point or another.

There seems to be this misconception that clutches are replaced as frequently as one replaces a filter or something silly like that. That's simply yet another case of misinformation sent towards the geared transmissions. Around here, a clutch will easily last over 3000 or 4000 hours, more in most cases and that's doing some hard work like pulling discs, trailers, plows, etc. Actually working the tractors.

Just keep in mind that a simple HST repair can cost a lot more than a simple clutch job and that's if there is actually parts to fix as it's not uncommon for them to only sell new HST units.

Last edited: