Road Side Mowing with a Sickle Bar

/ Road Side Mowing with a Sickle Bar #1  

Gordon Gould

Tractor
Kubota L3010DT, Kubota M5640SUD, Dresser TD7G Dozer
I spent the last couple afternoons doing my annual road side mowing. I do it late because of the large number of migrating birds that feed and rest in the high vegetation along the road and small fields during September and October. I use a 30 hp L3010 and a 7' sickle bar with a hydraulic lift cylinder

P1010923.JPG

It reaches under trees nicely

P1010919.JPG

It is good for up banks

MowUpBank.JPG

down banks

MowDownBank.JPG

Small field we keep rough

MowLandind.JPG

Not just weeds, great migrating bird habitat

YearlyMow1.JPG

gg

/ Road Side Mowing with a Sickle Bar #2  
Very nice! I like that road you got there.

I remember when I was a kid, that's all municipalities really used to tame the ditches and roadsides.

Now they use these 100+ hp huge tractors with boom flail mowers.

I thought the sickle bars did a fine job on a fuel-mizing 30 hp tractor.

I can't imagine how much a 100 hp tractor guzzles fuel with 48" boom flail mower.

/ Road Side Mowing with a Sickle Bar #3  
I have two sickle mowers. One is on an IH140 that the state of NY bought new to cut roadsides, it's a "belly" sickle mower. My buddy bought it from the state, and I got it from him.

The second one is a NH451 3-point mower, and I use it to cut around my ponds ect...

SR

/ Road Side Mowing with a Sickle Bar #4  
Nice post. Thanks.

/ Road Side Mowing with a Sickle Bar
You don't see many sickle bars on here. It used to be anybody with mowing to do had one. Mine is 25 years old now and I'm still happy with it. Thanks for for the comments.

gg

/ Road Side Mowing with a Sickle Bar #7  
Beautiful!

How do you keep the small field rough, and not reverting to forest? Occasional high mowing? It's always been a daydream of mine to have a few fields kept rough, with different kinds of plants, which I would mow yearly at different seasons.

/ Road Side Mowing with a Sickle Bar #8  
I recall our neighbor mowing the roadsides back in the '50's with a sickle mower. It was a 2.0 horsepower.
I also recall mowing them myself with an 8N Ford and a New Idea PTO driven mower. My dad frowned a bit saying something like I didn't need to be mowing the whole township. :)

Last edited:
Beautiful!

How do you keep the small field rough, and not reverting to forest? Occasional high mowing? It's always been a daydream of mine to have a few fields kept rough, with different kinds of plants, which I would mow yearly at different seasons.

Maybe rough was the wrong term. It has a grass base and would be all grass if I mowed it several times a summer but it grows up with milkweed, golden rod, black berries, goats beard, and all kinds of other stuff if I only mow once in the fall.

gg

I recall our neighbor mowing the roadsides back in the '50's with a sickle mower. It was a 2.0 horsepower.
I also recall myself mowing them with an 8N Ford and a New Idea PTO driven mower. My dad frowned a bit saying something like I didn't need to be mowing the whole township. :)

For us it is good to have a clear place to cast the snow when plowing. And the snow settles a lot better if there isn't a bunch of brushy vegetation holding it up.

gg