Subsoiler recommendation

/ Subsoiler recommendation #1  

KilroyJC

Elite Member
Tractor
1962 Case 430, 1995 Craftsman Yard Tractor/mower, 1949 South Bend 9A Lathe, WoodMizer Lx55 sawmill, Kubota KX033-4 Mini-Excavator
Good Morning!

I think I need a subsoiler, because I am clearing some badly-overgrown land with plenty of vine roots, brush roots, terr roots, roots roots and more roots.

Plus rocks.

I looked at the CountyLine Subsoiler from TS, but based on reviews, the weld quality is inconsistent.

or, if I make my own, any design suggestions would also be appreciated.

THANK YOU!!!!

/ Subsoiler recommendation #2  
I have two of them: Fred Cain 3 Point Hitch Subsoiler (back when Fred Cain made them!!) Which is too tall for my tractor but I could not pass on it for $100.

The other is Agrisupply one that I've loaned out both of them. 3 Point Subsoiler-Subsoiler Attachment | Agri Supply #73410 That was a buck fifty when I bought it a while back. Where abouts are you in "Appalachia"??

Decided I might as well drill new holes to raise the Fred Cain one so I could use it but what the heck...

/ Subsoiler recommendation #3  
Also, it would help to ID the vines since ripping them out just pisses them off and they can sprout up in a million more areas. Might be best to kill them first with chemicals, then play with them. I learned that the hard way....

/ Subsoiler recommendation
I have two of them: Fred Cain 3 Point Hitch Subsoiler (back when Fred Cain made them!!) Which is too tall for my tractor but I could not pass on it for $100.

The other is Agrisupply one that I've loaned out both of them. 3 Point Subsoiler-Subsoiler Attachment | Agri Supply #73410 That was a buck fifty when I bought it a while back. Where abouts are you in "Appalachia"??

Decided I might as well drill new holes to raise the Fred Cain one so I could use it but what the heck...
Macon County -how about you?

/ Subsoiler recommendation
Also, it would help to ID the vines since ripping them out just pisses them off and they can sprout up in a million more areas. Might be best to kill them first with chemicals, then play with them. I learned that the hard way....
Most look like Virginia Creeper.

I am trying to avoid chemicals as much as I can, and since I only have a disc plow but not a bottom plow, I figure a Subsoiler would be the simplest implement to deal with as a first “treatment”

/ Subsoiler recommendation #6  
1. What is the tractor brand / tractor model you will be using?

The tractor's weight and drive, 2-WD or 4-WD, will control the subsoiler you can pull.​

2. As you have a Disc Plow for Primary Tillage, consider an All Purpose Plow for SecondaryTillage.
An APP will penetrate 12" to 14" deep.​

3. Though you have a Disc Plow, consider a Moldboard Plow rather than a Subsoiler.
A 16" Moldboard Plow will sever roots 9" below the surface if your tractor has enough traction to pull one. For safe plowing of roots you will need a trip plow or a shear bolt protected plow to make sure your tractor will not flip over backwards.​

Last edited:
   / Subsoiler recommendation #7  
If you have the tractor that can pull it... Anything like this would work just fine ..
Dealing with new ground and roots don't go cheap and light... Jus going to pay for later

5001~2.jpeg

/ Subsoiler recommendation #8  
I would get a box blade with ripper teeth for vines and the such. Drop all the tines down and suck the top link in. You can cover alot more area useing this vs a single tooth. It also has other uses as a box blade.

/ Subsoiler recommendation #9  
I would get a box blade with ripper teeth for vines and the such. Drop all the tines down and suck the top link in. You can cover alot more area useing this vs a single tooth. It also has other uses as a box blade.

Attachments

• DSC00017.jpg
    DSC00017.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 194

I've done that.

Box Blade shanks are broad and straight, designed for chipping asphalt. High draft force resistance. So it does not take much of a root to stop forward motion. When I removed three shanks, leaving two, one snapped off at the pin hole. $50 with shipping. Shank penetration for my Box Blade about 5".

The photo shows perfect soil moisture for pulling out PENCIL DIAMETER roots with my Rollover Box Blade.

APP tines are thinner and parabolic shaped, so the tine points pull horizontally through the earth. Much less draft force resistance. More residual power for pulling out roots.

APP tines are protected by individual reset springs. I have snapped off one replaceable tine point which reversed to a second point. (( Double ended point $7 delivered. ))
Never have broken nor distorted a spring protected tine.

Tine penetration 12" to 14".

This is what an APP will pull out of Florida sandy-loam for an operator with two days experience.

Attachments

• DSC00554.JPG
    DSC00554.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 311
  • DSC00377.jpg
    DSC00377.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 311

Last edited:
   / Subsoiler recommendation #10  
~

Last edited: