Your Yearly Cost of Tractor Ownership

/ Your Yearly Cost of Tractor Ownership #81  
My kubota tractor with a backhoe is life saver. From logging the putting in roads, making foundations, and farming there is no way I can do without my trusty tractor. My tractor is an L4740 and the backhoe is bh92. From logging to prepping my property so I can be self reliant my tractor is a game changer especially if things get tuff. Yes they are expensive and I am not a rich man but living a rural life would not be the same without a good tractor with some implements.

tractor and backhoe review.

/ Your Yearly Cost of Tractor Ownership #82  
$5000 initial purchase price
$2800 in implements.
$150 in parts

$1590 per year for 5 years so far

Maybe $100-200 in fuel per year
$100 service once a year
$100 in hydraulic fuel every 2 years

It dont cost much. I'll need battery caboes this year and probably some tires within the next 5

I average around 50 hours on the meter per year. A lot of the little jobs it barely ticks the meter since it I idle or run half throttle

/ Your Yearly Cost of Tractor Ownership #83  
It's become obvious from this thread that the cost of owning a tractor varies greatly, mostly due where you are and how you use your machine. There are other "costs" though which are difficult to nail down. Depending on where and how you live, a tractor can be a lifesaver.

My case may be quite different from the average homeowner with a tractor. I live on 25 rural acres with a mile and a half of private road & driveway to maintain. Before I retired, I was often "on call" by my company and it was essential for me to get to work. There were many times I used my tractor with plow & chains to get the 2 miles to work during severe weather events. I've used the grapple to clear limbs & trees from the road to make it passable. I use the tractor PTO & generator during the frequent power outages we have around here. I can't remember the number of times I've used the tractor to pull friends & family members vehicles out of ditches.

I couldn't begin to put a price on the peace of mind I get knowing the tractor is there when I need it. Until I'm too old to use one or they put me in a home, there is no way I will be without a tractor regardless of the cost.

As Charlton Heston once said: "From My Cold Dead Hands".

Last edited:
   / Your Yearly Cost of Tractor Ownership #84  
$5000 initial purchase price
$2800 in implements.
$150 in parts

$1590 per year for 5 years so far

Maybe $100-200 in fuel per year
$100 service once a year
$100 in hydraulic fuel every 2 years

It dont cost much. I'll need battery caboes this year and probably some tires within the next 5

I average around 50 hours on the meter per year. A lot of the little jobs it barely ticks the meter since it I idle or run half throttle
My tractor is a L4740 47 hp. With the price of oil and fuel it comes to about $25 an hour if working it hard. That is not counting repairs. As long as I can afford my tractor I will run it. I try to plan my work so I’m doing things half way efficiently.

Here is a video of some small things a person can do to save a bit.

/ Your Yearly Cost of Tractor Ownership #85  
Less than $1000 per year for me, I don't use it much, but it is a must have when I do use it. 1999 L3700 Kubota bought used in 2003 for $15000. Used less than 25 hours per year.

/ Your Yearly Cost of Tractor Ownership #86  
Less than $1000 per year for me, I don't use it much, but it is a must have when I do use it. 1999 L3700 Kubota bought used in 2003 for $15000. Used less than 25 hours per year.
No matter how little you use it, when you need or want it, it’s there. Are you from an area that you deploy it for snow or is the 25 hours spend working around your property.

/ Your Yearly Cost of Tractor Ownership #87  
Mostly curios about my fellow residential users- those of us who don't claim a tractor as a business expense. How much does a tractor cost you per year?
Since I've resold every tractor I've ever owned for approximately what I paid for it, the only expense other than fluids and filters has been inflation. Our government is doing their best to maximize that the last two years, meaning the current tractor will cost me a good bit more than the last, when I ultimately sell it for the price at which I bought it.

/ Your Yearly Cost of Tractor Ownership #89  
No matter how little you use it, when you need or want it, it’s there. Are you from an area that you deploy it for snow or is the 25 hours spend working around your property.
Snow and a very steep hill. Also, I plow 1/2 mile of private drive and 4 neighbors when it gets real bad and their 4 wheelers won't handle it.

/ Your Yearly Cost of Tractor Ownership #90  
but the new ones are almost unobtainable. Here in canada the m5 is over $100000
$50k here, before loading it up, but that's a bigger tractor than the average CUT found on this forum.

Yes... here's where everyone with a big tractor gets to pipe up and say, "not me!" A very small fraction of total CUT sales are 100 horsepower, which is where the M5 is sitting.