Land of lake effect

/ Land of lake effect #1  

TheMan419

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 24
National Weather Service is predicting 5-10 inches. Accuweather is saying 8-12 inches. However it is lake effect. Right now 10 miles north of my office they have had 6 inches of snow. We have had some very minor flurries.

Later today the wind is supposed to shift to being more NW rather than WNW. That will increase the chance the lake effect sets up over my house.

I am glad the tractor is rigged for winter operations and the snowblower is full of fuel and was test run last month.

Got to love the land of lake effect.

/ Land of lake effect #2  
Fingers crossed that some persistent, strong bands come across I94 and give us at least a couple inches of snow on the east side of MI.

But Buffalo is the land of crazy lake effect. 3 to 4 feet this weekend? Bills home game on Sunday? gnarly.

1668628997101.png

/ Land of lake effect #3  
I took the bucket off and put the plow on the little PT425 last night and backed it into the garage. I love the snow. (y)

/ Land of lake effect #4  
I just looked up the snow averages for Buffalo NY on da web. See pasted below.

Here in Houghton MI, which is not on the higher end of lake snow cities, we average about 230 inches. And what are we calling Buffalo? :ROFLMAO: We'd call 95" a drought!

--------------------------------------------

Av. annual snowfall94 inch

Last edited:
   / Land of lake effect #6  
I am just outside of the HEAVY band. Will I regret not putting the blower on???

/ Land of lake effect #7  
With winds up to 35mph, sorry I'll pass:

Lake Effect.jpg

/ Land of lake effect #8  
National Weather Service is predicting 5-10 inches. Accuweather is saying 8-12 inches. However it is lake effect. Right now 10 miles north of my office they have had 6 inches of snow. We have had some very minor flurries.

Later today the wind is supposed to shift to being more NW rather than WNW. That will increase the chance the lake effect sets up over my house.

I am glad the tractor is rigged for winter operations and the snowblower is full of fuel and was test run last month.

Got to love the land of lake effect.
Looks like your going to get some seat time. ;)

/ Land of lake effect #9  
I just looked up the snow averages for Buffalo NY on da web. See pasted below.

Here in Houghton MI, which is not on the higher end of lake snow cities, we average about 230 inches. And what are we calling Buffalo? :ROFLMAO: We'd call 95" a drought!

--------------------------------------------

Av. annual snowfall94 inch
Figured you might not be able to resist chiming in with some snark, lol.
First of all 230” is absolutely in the higher end of annual snow totals.
Second, buffalo has a low annual average because they do not get consistent, continuous lake-effect like you often do. But i dont recall houghton ever getting a 5 or 6 foot dump in a two day event. You dont have the long lake “fetch” or warmer water temps of lake erie. When cold air blows hard in just the right direction in November, Buffalo gets effect dumpage like you can only dream of (in reality, its a life threatening danger).

/ Land of lake effect #10  
I’m in the lower thumb and it’s snowing good. One of the last times I was in houghton snowmobiling we got over 2’ of fresh snow in a night.