Self driving cars will get their drivers killed

/ Self driving cars will get their drivers killed #1  

fatjay

Veteran Member
Tractor
Not enough
Driving home from the hospital today, long mountain road. Driving behind a tesla. 40mph speed limit, did 35-40mph. Then it dropped to 35mph, and we were doing 30-35mph. Then it dropped to 25, and we were doing 20-25mph.

Then it went to 35, and we were doing 30-35. I was stuck behind him for miles, on a road that normally is very pleasant to drive 45-60. Nice, long, flowing bends and hills with wonderful scenery. And I was staring at the ass end of a pos tesla in self driving mode.

This is how self driving cars will cause road rage, and get their drivers killed.

I was holding out hope that it was just some old people driving, but then it came to a gradual, but complete stop, like it was stopping at a stop sign, when it saw this. It got confused. It was in the up position, for the record.

tsWoegs.png

/ Self driving cars will get their drivers killed #2  
How do you know it was in self driving mode?

personally, id never step foot in a self driving car.

/ Self driving cars will get their drivers killed #3  
Drivers not paying attention when putting their car in 'self driving mode' will get their drivers killed.

/ Self driving cars will get their drivers killed
How do you know it was in self driving mode?

personally, id never step foot in a self driving car.
I was holding out hope that it was just some old people driving, but then it came to a gradual, but complete stop, like it was stopping at a stop sign, when it saw this. It got confused. It was in the up position, for the record.

For the record, I would never surrender control of a vehicle to a computer while I was in it.

/ Self driving cars will get their drivers killed #5  
Self driving cars probably are going to get people killed. But people die in car crashes all the time so I don’t see why self driving is any different. People expect self driving cars to be 100 percent perfect meanwhile the current accident rate is a lot higher than 0.

Last edited:
   / Self driving cars will get their drivers killed #6  
If a car is self driving does it have a driver? Who really gets killed - the supposed driver, the passenger, a pedestrian, or an unsuspecting motorist in another car? Was the car in the original post self driving or did it just have an inattentive looky loo for a driver?

Self driving cars probably are going to get people killed. But people die in car crashes all the time so I don’t see why self driving is any different. People expect self driving cars to be 100 percent perfect meanwhile the current accident rate is a lot higher than 0.
Don't care. If i'm going to hand over power, it had better be perfect. Otherwise, why am I handing over power? People die in car crashes all the time, but they're stupid people driving stupidly. I'm a skilled driver paying attention, and do not get into accidents. Having a self driving car might reduce the idiot's chance of an accident, but it would increase my chances of an accident.

/ Self driving cars will get their drivers killed #8  
Don't care. If i'm going to hand over power, it had better be perfect. Otherwise, why am I handing over power? People die in car crashes all the time, but they're stupid people driving stupidly. I'm a skilled driver paying attention, and do not get into accidents. Having a self driving car might reduce the idiot's chance of an accident, but it would increase my chances of an accident.

You never had any power to start with unless you’re driving on a closed course with only yourself. You could still easily be hit and killed by someone else. You don’t even have to be driving yourself for that to happen. Cars crash into pedestrians and buildings fairly often. Do you still have that skid steer without a cage? I’d be a lot more scared of that than a self driving car.

Last edited:
You never had any power to start with unless you’re driving on a closed course with only yourself. You could still easily be hit and killed by someone else. You don’t even have to be driving yourself for that to happen. Cars crash into pedestrians and buildings fairly often. Do you still have that skid steer without a cage? I’d be a lot more scared of that than a self driving car.
I don't agree, I have the power. I have the power to avoid accidents, and I use it all the time. I keep track of every car in 50 yards of me in all directions. Front, rear, sides. I don't just get into a car and ride, I get into a car and actively drive. I can't remember the last time I was a passenger in the car, though.

I do have that skid without a cage, and I have not rolled it once. I'm aware of my surroundings, not just what's in front of me.

Accidents happen, sometimes. And on occasion, they're unavoidable even with the best awareness. But more often than not, they happen because of negligence, people not paying attention to what they're doing or where they're going. Even without distractions like phones and radio, people just get behind the wheel and only pay attention to what's in front of them, and get into the zone, and that's it.

People, all to often, are passengers in life, and in cars, even while driving. They are simply not paying attention to their surroundings. And it's a real issue.

/ Self driving cars will get their drivers killed #10  
I don't agree, I have the power. I have the power to avoid accidents, and I use it all the time. I keep track of every car in 50 yards of me in all directions. Front, rear, sides. I don't just get into a car and ride, I get into a car and actively drive. I can't remember the last time I was a passenger in the car, though.

I do have that skid without a cage, and I have not rolled it once. I'm aware of my surroundings, not just what's in front of me.

Accidents happen, sometimes. And on occasion, they're unavoidable even with the best awareness. But more often than not, they happen because of negligence, people not paying attention to what they're doing or where they're going. Even without distractions like phones and radio, people just get behind the wheel and only pay attention to what's in front of them, and get into the zone, and that's it.

People, all to often, are passengers in life, and in cars, even while driving. They are simply not paying attention to their surroundings. And it's a real issue.

So we’re mostly on the same page that other drivers suck. Maybe you’re an expert at avoiding accidents but people die in collisions that they weren’t at fault in every day. A self driving car could beat those odds. I’m not that afraid of rolling my skid steer but I was loading stumps on my dump truck and one fell off and rolled into the front of my skid steer. Another time I was on a clearing job and broke a dead top out of a tree and it landed on my excavator cab. Just because you’ve done something dangerous and didn’t get hurt doesn’t mean it’s safe. The indisputable fact is FOPS save life’s.