Diesel nearly DOUBLE the price of gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Diesel nearly DOUBLE the price of gas #11  
Just heard from a coworker that he found gas for $2.33/gal this morning (again, not in a great neighborhood). Meanwhile in our affluent cities and neighborhoods, gas is still $3.49/gallon. Wild disparities in pricing all over the region currently.

(it's not really luck...., it's choosing not to live in california LOL).
You can double my gas and I'm still not trading this 70º sunny day for what you got going there :p

/ Diesel nearly DOUBLE the price of gas #13  
Look into the mudflap app for diesel if they have station participating in your area. Free to use and big savings. .64 cents off a gallon currently at the station I use. Last week I filled my transfer tank and truck for $1.10 off a gallon on 120 gallons of diesel.

/ Diesel nearly DOUBLE the price of gas #14  
Ours in NS as of Dec-19-22 has gotten closer than it's been for awhile, Gas CAN$ 1.399, diesel CAN$2.052 per liter.
Works out to US$ 3.855 US gal for gas and US$ 5.67 US gal for diesel

/ Diesel nearly DOUBLE the price of gas #15  

Attachments

• gas-more-than-diesel.jpg
    gas-more-than-diesel.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 475
It changes, this was about 2 years ago.

And face it, a lot of drivers don't directly pay for diesel. Trucking companies, construction companies etc. charge the end user more for fuel. And often it's a "their cost plus x%".

/ Diesel nearly DOUBLE the price of gas #16  
You gotta pay to play. I only buy off road diesel anyway and here in Michigan it's usually 60-75 cents less than on road, amd I write of the cost as a farm expense.

/ Diesel nearly DOUBLE the price of gas #17  
I wonder if it has anything to do with diesel being similar to heating oil which will be seeing very high demand in Europe this winter due to the war.

/ Diesel nearly DOUBLE the price of gas #18  
Maybe there is a market pricing algorithm that tells them that they can charge for diesel vs gas? There was a bread truck filing up with diesel next to me. I asked the guy how much to fill? He just said it was a 50 gallon tank. They are just going to pass the cost onto the people that buy bread. There may be some market analysis that tells fuel companies that consumers who buy gas will reduce buying at a certain price level, but that there is more room to increase diesel prices because most businesses will just pass the cost onto their customers rather than cut back on buying diesel.

/ Diesel nearly DOUBLE the price of gas #19  
Diesel prices are higher than last year in major part due to Europe replacing Russian diesel and in some part due to a particularly cold stretch of weather requiring more heating oil. This has moved a lot of oil east of where it would normally be going causing high prices pretty much everywhere in North America.

Diesel demand is also pretty unwavering because it's mostly used commercially where the increased costs are passed onto the end-consumer because no single step adds up to a large enough absolute cost to cut back. For example, fuel is a big farming expense, but doesn't add many cents to any individual restaurant meal.

Gasoline is mostly only used in personal vehicles where people can cut back some when prices are high.

Since the ratio of gasoline to diesel in a barrel of any particular type of oil is nearly fixed, that means diesel prices often stay high even as gasoline prices fall. If it was gouging then gasoline prices would also be high. Instead diesel prices are based on a mostly fixed demand where gasoline is priced based on a mostly fixed supply.

/ Diesel nearly DOUBLE the price of gas #20  
You can double my gas and I'm still not trading this 70º sunny day for what you got going there :p

I wouldn't live in sunny California if you gave me the entire state. I like the change of seasons and prefer to own the gun of my choosing. Not to mention whatever the next ridiculous thing that Gov. of yours decides to subject you all to.

Status
Not open for further replies.