Thermostart problems. ARRGH!

/ Thermostart problems. ARRGH! #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
My Yanmar YM2310 thermostart failed. I bought a replacement. It only worked a couple times. With the air intake removed from the intake manifold it is easy to see the thermostart getting red hot and then see the fuel catch fire.
So, after the first one failed I got a new one from a different vendor. It gets red hot but no fuel flows. Another one showed up in the mail and it doesn't work either. Three different thermostarts. And they all look slightly different.
I am using Tygon fuel hose so it is easy to see the fuel in the hose. I have the hose disconnected from the reservoir and sticking up into the air. The fuel hose is full. I kept the thermostart red hot for a full minute on each one. No fuel flow. The fuel hose is not clogged.
Any ideas anyone?
Thanks,
Eric

/ Thermostart problems. ARRGH!
UPDATE
I thought maybe blowing into the fuel hose might help. So I stuck a long hose onto the shorter one, turned the key, and blew into the hose. Fuel flowed for a couple seconds and there was a little flame and some smoke. Then the fuel stopped flowing. I let everything cool down and tried blowing into the hose again. So, started blowing, turned the key, watched the thermostart turn red hot, and kept blowing. For a full minute. Nothing. No fuel flow. Am I just getting Chinese crap 3 times in a row?
Eric

/ Thermostart problems. ARRGH! #3  
UPDATE
I thought maybe blowing into the fuel hose might help. So I stuck a long hose onto the shorter one, turned the key, and blew into the hose. Fuel flowed for a couple seconds and there was a little flame and some smoke. Then the fuel stopped flowing. I let everything cool down and tried blowing into the hose again. So, started blowing, turned the key, watched the thermostart turn red hot, and kept blowing. For a full minute. Nothing. No fuel flow. Am I just getting Chinese crap 3 times in a row?
Eric
Here's the real thing. (The box, not the used one on top). Thermostart is a Perkins patent.

dscn5123thermostart-perkinsbox-jpg.68476

/ Thermostart problems. ARRGH! #4  
Buy one from Ford, or new Holland. Tell them 89 model 5610 series 11 (two). I know them machines have them. And they are the fuel type.

Here's the real thing. (The box, not the used one on top). Thermostart is a Perkins patent.

dscn5123thermostart-perkinsbox-jpg.68476
I looked for and was unable to find an original Perkins part. Do you know of a source?
Thanks,
Eric

Buy one from Ford, or new Holland. Tell them 89 model 5610 series 11 (two). I know them machines have them. And they are the fuel type.
I tried to get a USA made one from a Ford tractor dealer and they told me the ones they had were Chinese made. Darn it.
Thanks,
Eric

I really appreciate the advice from Roustabout and California. It's just too bad I can't find an original Perkins or a USA made Ford part. I am also looking for an original Yanmar thermostart but I'm no holding by breath. A NOS part would be great but any that are left are probably gathering dust in Japan or Viet Nam or some other Asian country. My original thermostart had burned out heating coils. It was a two wire unit and I assume one wire was either for ground or for energizing a solenoid type coil that would open a valve that let the fuel flow. In any case neither wire had continuity to ground or to each other. The original unit looked nothing like the replacement ones. It had a long case with a wire coming out of the end and another wire in the same location as the newer replacement ones. I think inside that long case is a solenoid operated valve.
Thanks All,
Eric

/ Thermostart problems. ARRGH! #9  
I looked for and was unable to find an original Perkins part. Do you know of a source?
Thanks,
Eric
I got that one pictured, from the local ThermoKing dealer. (The refrigeration unit mounted high on the front of a semitrailer).

Off-topic - One of the ThermoKing models from back in the day (70's) used the same basic Yanmar Diesel engine as my YM240. Obviously with some different features. The same basic engine was also in small commercial offshore fishing vessels. Those applications speak well for long term reliability and durability. I doubt the ThermoKing units are looked at between scheduled maintenance intervals.

Replica thermostarts are cheap on Ebay. Cheapest one I bought long ago had a return address from a London delicatession. About $16 total. I think that one is still in use on a YM186D that I sold. I wouldn't be afraid to buy from Ebay.

/ Thermostart problems. ARRGH! #10  
I really appreciate the advice from Roustabout and California. It's just too bad I can't find an original Perkins or a USA made Ford part. I am also looking for an original Yanmar thermostart but I'm no holding by breath. A NOS part would be great but any that are left are probably gathering dust in Japan or Viet Nam or some other Asian country. My original thermostart had burned out heating coils. It was a two wire unit and I assume one wire was either for ground or for energizing a solenoid type coil that would open a valve that let the fuel flow. In any case neither wire had continuity to ground or to each other. The original unit looked nothing like the replacement ones. It had a long case with a wire coming out of the end and another wire in the same location as the newer replacement ones. I think inside that long case is a solenoid operated valve.
Thanks All,
Eric
No the fuel valve is operated by heat from the internal heating element.