Anyone else ordered or got a Ford Maverick?

/ Anyone else ordered or got a Ford Maverick? #51  
Slowpoke Slim,

Interesting how Ford recycles a name of a car that, at the height of the 70's fuel crisis, was barely tolerable and always reminded me of a Chevy Vega. However, if I ever find a good condition V-8 powered Maverick I will do my best to find a place in the garage for it.
Wish I knew. Just hauled off a good one.

/ Anyone else ordered or got a Ford Maverick? #52  
My nephew just bought a maverick truck.

/ Anyone else ordered or got a Ford Maverick? #53  
In my mind, the hybrid Maverick with the CV transmission is a very different vehicle than the gas powered Maverick with the 8 spd transmission even though they both look the same.
Just very different drive trains.

/ Anyone else ordered or got a Ford Maverick? #54  
   / Anyone else ordered or got a Ford Maverick? #55  
Perhaps CVTs have come further than I realize, but they began being used in small cars and the durability was a concern when compared to the 5 spd manuals they used to put in econoboxes.

I understand the 8 spd auto transmission may be more fuel efficient than a manual transmission, but I'm personally not sold on their cost effectiveness and durability compared to the old 5 speed manual transmissions, either.

Further, I'm also skeptical of the life span of any turbo charged 4 cylinder. Yes, it produces more horsepower, but if I'm paying this much for a new vehicle, I want it to last.

/ Anyone else ordered or got a Ford Maverick? #56  
Perhaps CVTs have come further than I realize, but they began being used in small cars and the durability was a concern when compared to the 5 spd manuals they used to put in econoboxes.

I understand the 8 spd auto transmission may be more fuel efficient than a manual transmission, but I'm personally not sold on their cost effectiveness and durability compared to the old 5 speed manual transmissions, either.

Further, I'm also skeptical of the life span of any turbo charged 4 cylinder. Yes, it produces more horsepower, but if I'm paying this much for a new vehicle, I want it to last.
Yes, CVTs have come a long way. I still like a manual transmission and currently have two cars with manuals. I'm not concerned with turbos at all these days and purchased a twin turbo 2.7 Ford last year. They've come a long way since the 1980's too!

Since then, the introduction of improved materials, such as high-strength belts, advanced hydraulics, and high-speed sensors and microprocessors, has been responsible for the CVT's growth in the automotive arena. New materials and other innovations have made it possible to design small, relatively inexpensive CVTs that reliably deliver valuable fuel-efficiency improvements.

/ Anyone else ordered or got a Ford Maverick? #57  
I had a '71 for a while? Could never resolve it's electrical issue where it would just randomly engage the starter while going down the road.

😁
Not a Maverick but I have a 1974 Comet with a 427 I would be willing to part with.

1675356638230.png

1675355705063.png

Attachments

• 1675355663959.png
    1675355663959.png
    352.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
   / Anyone else ordered or got a Ford Maverick? #58  
I was seriously shopping out the Maverick when I bought in September. The hybrid mileage was the primary reason, but the reasons I didn't pursue it were more do to the supply issues than anything else:
- Dealers didn't have hybrid versions and couldn't say when they would be in if ordered.
- The stock that was is on the lots were marked WAY up with "availability fees". Ford tried to crack down on that but it was still common.
- Little things like being assembled in Mexico, and cost cutting items like reduced or no rust coatings used.
- Still new and relatively unproven.

While the Maverick hybrid would have been much easier on the wallet, I do enjoy my Canyon.

/ Anyone else ordered or got a Ford Maverick? #59  
Not a Maverick but I have a 1974 Comet with a 427 I would be willing to part with.

View attachment 782006
View attachment 782003
I love it, very nice looking car!

An early 70's Comet I paid $800 for was my first car in 1980. The straight 6 would top out at less than 90 mph and it rusted to pieces. I sold it back to the used car lot I bought it from for about $100 two years after I bought it. They put some more bondo in it and sold it again. LOL

/ Anyone else ordered or got a Ford Maverick? #60  
I love it, very nice looking car!

An early 70's Comet I paid $800 for was my first car in 1980. The straight 6 would top out at less than 90 mph and it rusted to pieces. I sold it back to the used car lot I bought it from for about $100 two years after I bought it. They put some more bondo in it and sold it again. LOL
My family had 4 Comet's. 1961, 1965, 1971, 1976.
The '65 became my first car until the floors rusted out. It was traded for the '71 which I ended up giving to my sister. She then traded in a few years for the '76.